“Pleasant enough edge of city hotel - good value if a bit tired in places”

Mercure Leeds Parkway
Ranked #46 of 86 Hotels in Leeds
London, United Kingdom
“Pleasant enough edge of city hotel - good value if a bit tired in places”
Reviewed 24 June 2012

This is a large and slightly old fashioned looking hotel on the very edge of the city. We wanted good access to the city as well as a launching pad to journey into the Dales and this worked out well for us. For others it might fall between the two and satisfy neither. We had a very good sized refurbished room but it was still betraying its age in the drab unmodernised bathroom and some distinctly "classic" furnishings. Some corridors had clearly not been updated from the snazzy '80s decor, maybe some rooms too? But everything for us worked fine and was clean and serviceable. Bed was fine for a good nights sleep - but two singles pushed together rather than a proper double, which is a real pet hate of mine. Best thing about the room was probably the little balcony overlooking the park. Despite the main road we had no issue with traffic noise. The leisure offer of gym, pool and spa all works but is now very dated and going to need some serious investment if it is going to remain credible. (And closing early over the bank holiday is a bit daft when there are guests there BECAUSE it is the bank holiday!)

Reception staff were absolutely lovely. But staff in the dining room seemed rather distracted - from reviews below we were not the first to struggle to get attention! By 9pm they were already focused on setting up for breakfast rather than serving those just arriving after a hefty drive. Breakfast was a decent buffet of good quality cooked stuff but perhaps a little underdone on the cold buffet - a few plastic croissants (on some days!) uninspiring limited range of fruit and cereals and a token few slices of ham and cheese. On quieter days there were notes advertising fancy egg dishes and the like to be cooked to order - but these disappeared on the busier days, which was a shame. But I guess their market wants the standard fried stuff and there's no denying that was done well.

We were paying just over £50 a night B&B. Frankly for that price this was as good as you have any right to expect and I think we thoroughly got our money's worth.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, General Manager at Mercure Leeds Parkway, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and your comments therein. I am pleased that your stay was a good one and I have passed on your comments to our reception team in particular - I have also spoken to our food and beverage manager to ensure that our guests are not interrupted by us laying up for breakfast and we shall delay where possible in the future. We are also in the throes of refurbishing many of our bedrooms on a rolling basis with the corridors being re-decorated once we have finished the bedrooms. Once again, thank you for your comments which we shall use to impove our customer service. Kind regards, Stewart Woodeson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
Stoke-on-Trent
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Stayed one night on KGB deal. Excellent value for the price paid.Staff were very efficient and friendly. The room and bathroom spotlessly clean. Lovely, large, fluffy towels. Comfy bed with really good pillows. We will definitely return.

1 Thank JasperStoke_on_Trent
Thank you for such a lovely review! I have forwarded your comments onto all of our management team and posted it on our customer feedback noticeboard so that everyone is aware. Once again, thank you for your review and we lok forward to being of service again to you in the near future. Kind regards, Stewart Woodeson
Wales
Reviewed 20 June 2012

Booked in for a 2 night stay for a meeting at the hotel. Firstly, the conference organisation team are excellent and special mention should be made to Laura who knows her job very well.

First impression of the hotel is very good, this is an old Ramada Jarvis hotel and there is plenty of FREE parking available. A really warm welcome from Kelly at reception and throughout my stay she was an absolute star with nothing being too much trouble, a real gem for the hotel.

I was allocated a room on the lower ground floor, but as I am a really light sleeper I asked for a room that was a little quieter at the back of the hotel, again, this no problem for Kelly and I was moved to a room on the 4th loor.

The meeting rooms at the hotel are excellent and and I would recommend them to anyone wishing to hold a meeting.

On the second night, we ate at the hotel, this is where the hotel falls down in my opinion, although the waiting staff were once again excellent, they were let down by the service from the kitchen. There was at least a 50 minute wait between placing our order and our starters arriving. To be fair to the hotel, when the food arrived it was very good and presentation was excellent, however, most people will remember the wait rather than the food, which is a pity really.

Breakfast on the day of departure was also a little it of a shambles really with my colleague waiting over 20 minutes for his eggs to be cooked. Overall, I would rate the food as 9/10 just the service delivery lets it down.

So to wrap up, a great little hotel with wonderful staff that is let down a little by service delivery, but, I would recommend this hotel to my family and friends which is quite an edorsement for me.

Just one word of warning though before I go, if you are a lone business person staying at this hotel, beware of a local called Mr Fuller who spends almost every evening sat at the bar drinking his favourite bottle of wine. I was nabbed by him on the first night of my stay and although he is harmless enough, he can appear a little intimidating to those people who do not know how to handle that type of person.

Room Tip: As for a room at the back of the hotel as there is a great view and it is very quiet.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Welshtraveller36
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I have passed your lovely comments onto Laura, our conference co-ordinator and the rest of the hotel team who will no doubt be delighted. I apologise that there was a delay in the food being delivered from the kitchen - as we only serve freshly prepared and cooked food, we do state that there will be a delay in service times, but I apologise if this took too long. I shall discuss this with our head chef so to avoid repeats of this happening. Once again, thank you for your comments and I shall chat to Mr Fuller! Kind regards, Stewart Woodeson
Sunderland, Tyne & Wear
Reviewed 19 June 2012 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel prior to an onward flight from the local airport. Reception was welcoming, we were offered help to get our bags to the room, and arranged a wake up call, and booked a table for food in the restaurant.
The evening meal was interesting. The staff were helpful but a little disorganised, attempting to take orders for drinks twice, and our meal twice - better that than not at all i suppose! Unfortunately an hour's wait between starters and the main course, with other tables who arrived later than us being served and gone before we were served was a little frustrating. As a result we were told "if you want a desert you'll have to order now as the chef is going home".
The meal was average, which would have been more acceptable had the delay not been so long.
The room was a bit tired but did the job, the walls thin enough to hear the neighbours talking, the bathroom less good and i burned my foot in the shower from a dripping hot tap. My fault, but better maintenance would have preveted it. The wake up call worked for us but not for the other members of our party.
Sounds a bit negative but as an airport hotel did the job. As a wedding venue? Doubtful.

Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you for review of the hotel. I am disappointed that our restaurant did not live up to expectations and I have spoken to both the head chef and the food and beverage manager in order to resolve any issues over delays. If you could please make me aware of the bedroom you stayed in, we shall resolve any maintenance in this room immediately. Once again, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Kind regards, Stewart Woodeson
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I stayed at this hotel on the cold weekend of the 16-17th as I was attending a wedding held in Horsforth nearby.
As soon as I walked through the door I felt welcome. The experience was just wonderful, from the smiley Lady on reception, the charming barmen to the waiters at Breakfast and the staff in the SPA, I left feeling truly looked after.

I highly recomend this as a place to stay and I am sure to return.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Thank you for such a fantastic review! I have passed on your comments to our team and they are delighted that you had such a lovely stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future! Kind regards, Stewart Woodeson
York, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2012

We booked to stay in this hotel for my best friend's wedding, after the bride had reserved a number of rooms for family and friends. I was charged the room fee on booking and even tried to check in mid-morning, but was unable to as it was too early (which is understandable).

I was horrified to learn on my return to the hotel at 1am that the hotel was oversubscribed and we no longer had our room. The manager at the time was extremely rude, almost to the point of ignoring us, and failed to apologise for this inconvenience. After 20 minutes of waiting around while he tried to arrange another hotel room for us, I decided simply to drive home, which was a most unacceptable end to an otherwise fantastic day.

I understand that hotels do overbook and occasionally this event occurs, but the hotel had known since 7pm that they were oversubscribed and could have telephoned us to inform us of the issue. Furthermore, the attitude of the manager was appalling and the lack of apology was most disappointing.

I certainly won't be staying here again or using the Mercure brand again.

2 Thank Edward T
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I apologise that we were not able to honour your booking and are currently investigating the matter regarding the service level you experienced on the evening. If you would like to contact me at the hotel, I would be more than happy to discuss your comments in more detail and apologise to you personally. Kind regards, Stewart Woodeson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leeds
Mercure Wetherby
#29 of 86 in Leeds
Britannia Leeds Bradford Airport
Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel
Best Western Plus Milford Hotel

Been to Mercure Leeds Parkway? Share your experiences!