“Jiggy Jiggers”

Ranked #49 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Saff City
“Jiggy Jiggers”
Reviewed 4 March 2013

Our annual get together at this hotel took place last weekend and was excellent. We will continue to come here each year as we love the position, the facilities, the very friendly and welcoming staff, especially Garbor, Alex on the front desk, Deborah on breakfast duty in the restaurent and the person who organised a round table for, our party of six whose name I can't remember. Our rooms were all spotless and the beds very comfortable. We are all happy to recommend The Mercure Leeds Parkway as excellent value for money as we took advantage of a special promotion.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the back of the hotel are quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Stewart W, General Manager at Mercure Leeds Parkway, responded to this review, 18 March 2013
Dear Slink. Thank you very much for your very kind review of our hotel - it is very pleasing to be recognised for providing great service for our guests - I have thanked the individuals named in your review and they are all delighted with your comments and your recognition. We look forward to welcoming you once again to our hotel and to being of service to you again next year. Kind regards, Stewart Woodeson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Reviewed 27 February 2013

I've stayed here for a number of months as part of a corporate booking and am appalled at the level of service recieved. I stayed at this place for a few months previously when it was branded as another name but can only comment on this more recent experience (which has been the same sort of experience). In the one week I stayed Ive recieved the wrong meal, been served only one potato that was also undercooked with pork crackling that tasted of the mornings hashbrowns, an all day bacon bap that was just that, bacon that was from the morning breakfast buffet, which included a salad with a hair in it. The food is generally low quality produce at extortionate prices served up in an attempt to look like classy restaurant food (i.e. a small swipe of gravy in an attempt to present it like a famous TV chef dish). Ive also been told I would need to wait for an hour for a table at dinnertime as the chef " cannot handle unexpected orders for food" even though I just wanted a table for one and the restaurant had 5 people in it. On top of this my room smelled of the previous occupiers lavatory use, the door keycard kept switching off everyday so I couldn't gain access to my room and there was a fault with my lights. I know that if the manager does respond to this they will try to brush it off as a one off unlucky experience but I think I'm in a good enough position to advise anyone thinking of staying here to avoid it at all costs.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank someone-says
Stewart W, General Manager at Mercure Leeds Parkway, responded to this review, 4 March 2013
Dear someone-says. I apologise that your experience with us did not reach your expectations and I have spoken with our management team, especially our Head Chef, Jeet, regarding your comments. My understanding is that because we have so many room service, bar orders and leisure club food orders that can be placed at the same time, the impression of the restaurant not being busy may not necessarily be an accurate reflection of how busy the kitchen is at any one time, especfially at key service periods. I apologise that you did not feel that the food standards were of an acceptable level and had we been made aware of your feelings at the time of your stay with us I am convinced that we would have made every effort to resolve any issues to your satisfaction. Once again, please accept my apologies for not providing you with the service you would have expected. Kind regards, Stewart Woodeson

Travellers are raving about these Leeds hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2013

This hotel has everything! Great service, great rooms, great leisure centre and the price is absolutely breathtaking! It's far out from the city of Leeds approx 6 miles but there is a bus stop just outside the hotel and it takes approx 25 mins to get to the city centre. Also if you are thinking of taking a cab to the city centre and back, it will cost you less than £10 which I think is really cheap if you decide to stay out late at night. I took my girlfriend there for our year anniversary and I have to say this is far the best hotel I've stayed in. I still think this hotel should be a 4 star rather than a 3 star. I have no complaints for the service, we even had door to door service if we would require teas and coffees which I have never experienced in my life especially when I been to many hotels in my time. I would recommend this to anyone who would fancy a short break and I would definitely come back again!

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Naweed K. Thank you very much indeed for such a fantastic review of the hotel. I am delighted that you feel that this is the best hotel you have stayed in, and especially that the food and service standards were so good. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future. Kind regards, Stewart Woodeson
Reviewed 17 February 2013

I booked a night away for my boyfriend as a valentines treat, we have a little boy so staying away is some what of a rare occurrence. We had a 40% off code so it only cost £42! For the night. I also booked a 2 course meal for us both for £15 each. Firstly i would like to say breakfast was lovely and all the staff a very polite, but perhaps a tad clueless. When I booked online it gave me the option to book breakfast for £20 for two but I opted out as when we checke in and booked at the reception breakfast for two was only £7.50 each???? Abit of a con as I'm sure a lot of people will pay more booking online thinking its the cheaper option. The facilities were ok but the showers by the pool barely worked and the place could have done with a good clean. The reason I'm giving this hotel 3 stars is all because of the restaurant, in a nutshell we were seated at 9 and got out main meal at about 10.10!!!! I would have understood a little if it was busy but it wasn't. Our waitress was sweet but didn't seen to know a lot and had to "ask" someone else a lot like when we asked of steak was included in the 2 course dinner. She apologised for the delay and another waiter offered us our pudding for free (we shared a sorbet) when I told him we had already payed for it all he just oh well, sorry. The food was nice but we were beyond hungry by the time it came. The drinks were expensive but we expected that. The room was ok, abit dated and the mirror and frame was filthy. In the morning I went onto the balcony to find a smashed wine glass, I told house keeping and she just said ooooh ok, no apology. I must say the bed was very comfortable. But we could here everything our neighbouring rooms were doing/saying and the TV barely worked. We don't go away often as we have a mortgage and baby so it's hard to afford these short breaks and finding childcare. I wish it was a better experience and I am more upset than angry. Next time we manage to get away for the night I will be doing a lot more investigation into where we stay. Such a shame :(

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Blbeccitom
Stewart W, General Manager at Mercure Leeds Parkway, responded to this review, 19 February 2013
Dear Blbeccitom, we are sorry to hear that you were disappointed with aspects of dinner and would welcome any further feedback you may have via email to gm.mercureleedsparkway@jupiterhotels.co.uk so that I can investigate them more fully. We have passed on your excellent feedback regarding breakfast to the team who served you. May we thank you for taking the time to leave your comments and I hope that you choose to stay with us again so that your stay can be remembered for all the right reasons. Kind regards, Stewart Woodeson
Billericay
Reviewed 16 February 2013

Checked in on a very cold night. Reception was friendly and welcome. Entered room and it was cool, went to turn the radiator up and found it was already on maximum. Bathroom was very cold with the only form of heating being an electric towel rail which was not on nor was there any switch to turn it on. I noticed the cable entry was held together by electrical insulation tape which was broken.
Hungry so went to dinner ordered the signature soup which was served tepid. Now getting a bit fed up of every thing being tepid. In fairness they did deduct the cost of the soup. Restless night because I was never warm. Arrived for breakfast and ordered coffee which when I poured was translucent, called the waiter and asked to him to pour the coffee. More apologises and a fresh pot produced. Went to Buffett and no bacon, no sausages, no eggs, again called the waiter who arranged a refill. At last something hot.
What went wrong they put right but I do not expect to continually have to ask for basic service.
Will I return no.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Dear BillerayEngland, I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the tepid aspects of your stay and would welcome any further feedback via email to gm.mercureleedsparkway@jupiterhotels.co.uk. I apologise that you were cold during your stay with us and would be grateful for your room number so that I can check that the issue is rectified for future guests. We do have spare radiators, quilts and blankets for guests who feel the cold but unfortunately we have no record of any requests being made so I apologise that we were unable to help you in this regard. I shall monitort the breakfast standards over the next few weeks to ensure that breakfast does not run out - please accept my apologies. May I thank you for taking the time to leave your comments as we will use them to resolve oustanding issues as soon as we are aware of the bedroom in question. Kind regards, Stewart Woodeson
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2013

Clean and tidy hotel in an interesting building. Friendly helpful staff. Well appointed rooms. The only disappointment was the selection of vegetarian food which lacked variety and imagination. The health suite was very good and the park right next door the the hotel looked lovely (too snowy for a propper walk!) Breakfast was pretty good, not a huge ammount of choice with the cooked breakfast (and again, nothing imaginative for a cooked veggie breakfast). Nice clean bathroom and good shower. Plenty of milk on the hot drink tray in the room which is always useful!

Room Tip: Collegues reported that the studio rooms were cold. My room, which was in the main building on the f...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Dear Harveynobum, thank you very much indeed for such a wonderful review - I am glad that our attention to our 'passion for service' motto has done us proud once again. I shall pass your comments onto our team who no doubt will be delighted. We look forward to being of service again to you at some stage in the future. Kind regards, Stewart Woodeson
Bury St Edmunds
Reviewed 9 February 2013

This hotel was in a good location and plenty of parking which can be challenge in Leeds. It took about 20 minutes to get to the hotel from the train station, but this was at the tail end of rush hour.

The room I was allocated was called a 'studio'. Although I am not sure what made this a studio other than a small area that had an ironing board. Room was perfectly functional, although nothing special. Toiletries nice, but totally don't get why Mercrue use this brand, as once you have opened them you can't seal them, and there is too much in their for one use!! sounds petty but when you are bombarded with information about re-using towels and this that and the other - seems a contradiction to me.

Dinner in the hotel was nice, good menu choices, and fine for one night stay. Wouldnt fancy eating here every night if I was staying for a long time, and there doesn't seem to be much around the hotel other than the main road.

Breakfast.... this is where is did go wrong. Breakfast was served til 10am. I joined my colleague just after 9. No orange juice - asked for some more - which was promptly delivered, then no clean glasses, but lots of used ones. No cutlery on the table, so had to ask for more. Went to the hote buffet style breakfast, 4 pieces tomato, one sausage, a rubbery looking fried egg, and some beans that look like they had been there fore some time.... not my breakfast choices, but that was all that was available. Clearly not much had been replenished. It was I am sorry to say a poor effort, and it wasn't like it was busy, or we were late down to breakfast.

Staff very friendly - especially on reception. The receptionist was having computer issues which made my checkout take ages. Not her fault at all, but maybe you could resolve these issues which would make their life so much easier, and quicker!!

Not meaning to whinge, but some things are very good, and some things are quick fixes which I am sure the hotel would want to improve for future guests! :-)

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Dear looloumac79. Thank you for such a lovely review of the hotel and also your constructive comments. I am delighted that our food, general standards and service levels reached and exceeded your expectations. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Leeds Parkway in the not too distant future. Kind regards, Stewart Woodeson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leeds
Mercure Wetherby
#29 of 87 in Leeds
Britannia Leeds Bradford Airport
Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel
Village Hotel Leeds North

Been to Mercure Leeds Parkway? Share your experiences!