“Faded glory”

Ranked #49 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Faded glory”
Reviewed 26 June 2013

I chose to stay in this hotel for a few days to get away from home and concentrate on some work I have to get done, as well as having a little relaxation time. I chose the Parkway because I'd been here several years ago after a wedding and had a very comfortable stay with highly professional staff, and was expecting more of the same.

However, it seems the intervening years have really caught up with the Parkway. The decor is tired (and in some cases just broken - peeling paint, threadbare carpets etc.). The staff, whilst very nice, aren't always exactly professional and don't always take pride in their work - for example, shouting accross the dining room to eachother to complain about another guest, sitting at a table with a bowl of water washing cutlery etc.

The privilege room which I originally booked would have been exceptional, were it not for the excessive machinery noise outside, which necessitated a whole series of room moves (I think 4 in total) over the next 2 days. This was obviously very disruptive to me trying to get any work done, and necessitated spending nearly 24 hours in a "standard" room which did not come with the space, the filter coffee machine or any of the other "perks" I had paid for. In fairness, I was eventually moved to a very nice room complete with 4 poster bed, however this really was too little too late as the primary purpose of my visit had been severely disrupted.

The hotel restaurant is adequate although not exceptional, and the pool perfectly nice. The grounds (and adjoining park) are excellent and highly recommended. There is adequate parking although getting a spot anywhere near the door is quite impossible, and carrying multiple bags/cases up a hill from the bottom of the carpark isn't a particularly enjoyable start to the stay!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank John W
Stewart W, General Manager at Mercure Leeds Parkway, responded to this review, 27 June 2013
Dear JohnW. Thank you for your review - I am glad that you liked our newly refurbished privilege room although I apologise for the noise outside your room. I must admit I was perplexed by the noise issue as the privilege rooms overlook the manicured lavender gardens, however upon investigation it seems that the beer cooler which should be on a timer is currently running constantly providing a low hum so we have called our the beer engineers to fix this issue today. I am pleased that we were able to move you to another newly refurbished superior room for the last 3 days of your stay with us and I am pleased that you enjoyed this room also. I have discussed your food comments with our chef as I would like to think that we generally supply a very good standard of food and I have passed on your your kind comments to our leisure club staff also. Once again, thank you for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back soon for an uninterrupted stay with us. Kind regards, Stewart Woodeson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
England
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Had a very enjoyable 2 nights here. The ACCOMMODATION was very comfortable; we had a room with a balcony overlooking the rear lawn and wildflower meadow planted by the Hotel, with a path leading into the 130-acre Golden Acre Park with its wooded areas and vast lake (well worth a stroll)
On the first night we were there, the BRASSERIE put on a new menu in addition to the 2 or 3 course limited fixed price menu (£18 and £22 respectively). As we have a Gourmet Society card (which at this Mercure meant for us a 50% bill reduction on a Friday evening). we went for the new food and were not at all disappointed. I started with “Tempura battered calamari, rocket & garlic mayonnaise”; without doubt it was the best calamari I have ever had in the UK – fleshy and beautifully cooked. My partner had “Tian of poached salmon, crayfish, cucumber, lemon oil, with a tarragon dressing”; she said it was very tasty and moist. For the main course we both chose “Pork cutlet, black pudding fritter, buttered greens, grain mustard mash with a cider jus”. Had we known that the food was going to be so delicious, I’m sure that one of us would have selected something different just to try it! But the pork was really nice and the cider jus was spot on. Desserts presented a choice problem; whilst my partner went for the “Summer berry Eton mess” (would have liked even more meringue with it apparently!), I was torn between the “Lemon brulee & raspberry sorbet with homemade shortbread” but settled for the “Chocolate salted caramel torte with Chantilly cream” – absolute pudding heaven!! All the dishes were excellently presented and served. It was so pleasant to be given a jug of iced water without having to ask for it.

The STAFF were fantastic. How nice to find friendly, courteous, helpful people whether they were at the Reception; in the Brasserie; or on the Bar. Nothing was too much trouble and everyone smiled a lot – we had a real feeling that here was a happy team who really enjoyed serving their customers.

We enjoyed it so much that, although we had checked out on Sunday morning, we went back to the hotel with 2 friends for a bar lunch of sandwiches and Panini’s – again, very tasty and excellent value for money.

Room Tip: Try to get a bedroom at the rear of the hotel which have balconies overlooking the wildflower meadow...
2 Thank MedEngland
Stewart W, General Manager at Mercure Leeds Parkway, responded to this review, 26 June 2013
Dear MedEngland, Thank you for such a wonderful review! Sometimes, when you read a review from a 'gourmet dining guest' one worries that we will achieve the expected standards, but given that we make much of the dishes on site we do hope that we hit the mark and I'm delighted that this was your experience. I shall pass on your comments to all of our staff and congratulate them once again on their customer service. Once again, thank you for taking the time to review our service and food offering. Kind regards, Stewart Woodeson
Great Missenden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

As always the staff make this place, room very comfortable though the place is getting a bit dated.
We did not have breakfast so we could make an early start.

We had a new trainee check us in and she could not have done more.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Stewart W, General Manager at Mercure Leeds Parkway, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
Dear Brewersfriend. Thank you for your lovely review of our hotel. I shall pass on your comments to Diane, our new trainee who just goes to prove that customer service can be amazing even if you a newbie! Thank you once again for your recognition of our 'passion for service' and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future. Kind regards, Stewart Woodeson
Oceanside, California
Reviewed 23 June 2013

I attended a wedding here and stayed two night with the family. The rooms are decent, nothing special, but the real all-star are the staff. Bogdan went out of his way to accommodate an entire group of us dining and meeting up informally the night before the wedding. The restaurant staff were exceptional in meeting our needs. Kate at the bar went over the top to accommodate our little toddler who was having a bit of a wobbler trying to survive all the festivities. It is service like this that wins people over. A room is a place to sleep, but exceptional service would win me back to this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank adamdrock
Dear Adamdrock. Thank you very much for such a kind review of our hotel. In these days of recession and even though we are refurbishing our bedrooms slowly but surely (with another 2 bedrooms refurbished this month), it is the staff that make a difference in whether a stay is amazing or not and I thank you wholeheartedly for your comments. I have already spoken to Katie who is delighted by your comments and I assume that you meant Piyush in our restaurant.... whoever was the person who gave you great restaurant service, I have also passed on your comments to the entire restaurant team who will also no doubt be very 'chuffed' with your recognition, so thank you. I appreciate that California is a fair distance to travel for a hotel visit but we'd love to welcome you back once again to the hotel very soon. Kind regards, Stewart Woodeson
North Yorkshire, England
Reviewed 21 June 2013

The room we had wasn't supercalafragalisticexpieallydocious but hey, we didn't pay too much for it and it was perfectly good for a stop over for a very early morning flight. It cost us £11.80 to get a taxi to the airport and £11.80 back. Probably about the same as our car park would have cost us for 4 nights. I would definitely do the same again for an early flight from LBA if the price was right (I got a good deal for £55 ish)

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Stewart W, General Manager at Mercure Leeds Parkway, responded to this review, 24 June 2013
Dear Jean-s. Thank you for your review of our hotel. With the hotel being so close to the airport, it is ideal for parking and travelling to the airport without the hassle and expense of parking at the airport, as some of the car parks are some distance from the terminal. Having checked online this morning, parking costs range from £67 to £219 for one week's stay, so we are definitely an alternative worth considering! Kind regards, Stewart Woodeson
Neath
Reviewed 19 June 2013

We stayed just one night recently. It was our first visit and certainly we would stay again. The Staff were excellent in every respect. We had a lovely room but it was warm when we walked in on what was a sunny evening! The absence of air conditioning made for an uncomfortable sticky night. The food both at dinner and breakfast was outstanding. All in all a very nice experience.

Room Tip: Try and avoid a West-facing room on a warm Summer's evening! Bit too uncomfortable otherwise for...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Stewart W, General Manager at Mercure Leeds Parkway, responded to this review, 20 June 2013
Dear DavidAnn65. Thank you very much for such a kind review of our staff and services! Unfortunately in the recent humid weather the lack of air conditioning does affect the rooms which attract the later evening sunshine and I apologise that this affected your stay. Our patio rooms have large double doors with their own balconies so that should provide a greater throughput of fresh air for your future stays with us... they also have some superb views over our landscaped wildlife gardens at the rear of the hotel with access to Golden Acre Park maybe it is worth requesting this as part of your next reservation please to enhance your stay. Your comments about excellent food is particularly pleasing as the vast majority of our food is made on site and as such it is nice to get recognition for our chefs. I shall also pass on your kind comments to our breakfast staff. Kind regards, Stewart Woodeson
Armadale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2013

I paid a little more than I normally would for this hotel but my word it was worth it!

A fantastic setting in the rural area on the outskirts of Leeds, this hotel is quiet, beautiful and offered great facilities and service! The rooms are tasteful and use innovative storage options, the wifi is free throughout the hotel and is easy to use (as well as having great signal strength and fast speeds)

My room is on the first floor which at the rear of the hotel becomes the 2nd floor. My room offers a small balcony, complimentary water and a range of lighting solutions.

The staff here are friendly and professional offering an exceptional level of service. And of course, it's easy to pop into Leeds to go shopping or go out for dinner etc.

Anyone who reads my other reviews will know that I am sparing with my praise but I have to say that this hotel really ticks all the boxes! I'm really looking forward to the rest of my stay here.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Dear CMC_Vocals. Thank you for such a lovely review! I'm very grateful for your feedback and would love to hear more following your stay. Please feel free to email me on gm.mercureleedsparkway@jupiterhotels.co.uk and I would be very grateful for any and all constructive comments. I will be delighted to make our staff aware of your comments so far... Kind regards, Stewart Woodeson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leeds
Mercure Wetherby
Mercure Bradford, Bankfield Hotel
Britannia Leeds Bradford Airport
Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel
Village Hotel Leeds North

Been to Mercure Leeds Parkway? Share your experiences!