“Loved staying here”

Ranked #50 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Farnborough, United Kingdom
“Loved staying here”
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Stayed here during the very busy Xmas period.

My room was very comfortable, clean and had everything I needed.
The view ( of the woodland area to the rear of the hotel ) from my room was very pleasant.

The hotel has character combined with very reasonable modern convenience.

The area where it scores top marks is the hotel staff. They are excellent. Friendly, helpful and eager to please. They did everything that they could to insure that their guests had a very happy stay.

The management team who were working over Xmas were certainly leading by example - Simon, Jay and Martin - constantly available, ever attentive, and anticipating needs before you realised you had them ........ really outstanding service.
This was echoed by their staff in the restaurant, and those servicing the rooms.

One of the managers Martin - seemed to be working 24/7 - his truthful explanation was
" I love my work ..... " . You don't hear that every day !

This welcoming hotel is a credit to Yorkshire hospitality.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Stewart W, General Manager at Mercure Leeds Parkway, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Dear Vivien W

Many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel. In agreement with your comments, our staff are our most prized possession and I am delighted that once again they have excelled - I shall make sure everyone is made aware of your comments and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kind regards

Stewart Woodeson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Stevenage, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I stayed here prior to Christmas on business as I had to spend a day in Leeds visiting some clients. The staff were very friendly and could not do more for me.
I was check in efficiently, and my room was clean and the bed very comfortable. I had the addition of a balcony over looking the central courtyard and gardens which was a lovely touch I was not expecting. I ordered room service which was delivered quickly and my food was piping hot and delicious. I would recommend this hotel to friends as well as staying again myself in the future.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Simon S. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed what seems to be all aspects of your stay with us and I shall ensure that all of our staff are made aware of your comments. We look forward to looking after you again soon! Kind regards, Stewart Woodeson
Durham City, England
Reviewed 5 January 2014

This was our third stay at this hotel over the past 7 years. Previously, for the first two stays, the Hotel was part of the Ramada chain and now it is part of the Accor/Mercure group. In truth not much has changed.

We stayed on the weekend just after New Year, and were given a good rate for
bed and breakfast.

On arrival, you fill find ample car parking. The check in process was efficient and professional. We were given a studio room at first but on visiting it we found that a badly fitted window meant that the strong wind outside was loudly whistling into the room. We were moved without fuss to another room ( No 123).

Although a little smaller than the studio room, it did have a bath which the former did not. It had a little balcony and faced onto the grass area towards the health club. This would have been pleasant in warmer weather conditions.

The room was adequately equipped with hairdryer; ironing board and iron, tea/coffee making facilities; flatscreen TV and storage facilities. the workings for the TV via the remote is a bit fiddly and long winded.

One chair was provided - a second could not be fitted into the room given its size - and the radiator worked fine. The cleanliness of the room was also satisfactory.

We were to find that the bed was not the most comfortable and we missed out on a good nights sleep on both nights we stayed.

The location of the hotel is good. It is immediately adjacent to the Golden Acre park which is itself worth a stroll around. It also has a bus stop immediately outside and the X84 service can quickly take you to either Leeds one way or the market towns of Otley or Ikley the other. ( £3.90 return).

I used the health club facilities attached to the hotel and they were okay. Towels were provided and the locker required a £1 deposit (refundable). The swimming pool is not the largest but adequate. A separate children's pool is attached. A whirlpool is also available with a clear notice emphasising that it is a whirlpool and not a Jacuzzi and therefore the water is NOT hot!! The gym is fairly well equipped. The sauna is not mixed and instead there is one located within both the respective changing rooms. The single steam room is mixed but unfortunately this was out of order and apparently had been so for several weeks.

Breakfast was the buffet style affair and served everything you would expect for an English breakfast. Non mainstream dishes such as Eggs Benedict or kippers could be made to order. Our only complaint was that some of the cutlery items, particularly cups, were not the cleanest, in fact dirty from previous use, and had to be changed.

We were looking to eat in the hotel on the second night but really this was not an option. A very restricted bar food menu option was available but there was confusion as to whether a fixed two course option was also available. So we were initially disappointed that we would need to travel out for our evening meal.

We ate at a nice little Italian restaurant (Divino's) in the nearby village of Adel. There we noticed that this had been the choice of at least two other couples from the hotel.

On returning to the hotel bar area it lacked both atmosphere and customers. A large (real effect) gas effect gave it a warm and cosy feel but the expensive bar prices ( £4 for a pint of lager) perhaps was off putting to some. Even the large screen TV had some sound technical problems.

All in all we had no major complaints about this hotel. For the price we paid it represented value for money. It is a good base for exploring the local area.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank James L
Stewart W, Manager at Mercure Leeds Parkway, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear Jamie 077

Many thanks for your detailed review of the hotel. I am very pleased to hear that you had a nice comfortable stay.
The issues you have raised are being dealt with.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Kind Regards
Simon Grace
Operations Manager
Lincolnshire
Reviewed 5 January 2014

This hotel is brilliant! All of the staff we met were approachable and more than happy to help with any query or question. The facilities were great too! Unfortunately we did not have time to use the swimming pool but, on our first night we went for a look, again staff were welcoming and more than happy for us to have a look. We had breakfast included in the total price which was a very pleasant experience. There were a variety of choices which we enjoyed in a relaxed environment. Housekeeping should also be praised. We chose not to have our room serviced, despite this a small hamper of fresh towels and refills for the tea tray were left outside the room for if we needed them.My only grumble is the condition of the fixture and fittings of the bedroom. The room itself was in a good condition but there were small things which could be developed. Some light bulbs were not working, light fixtures were exposed, the chair was nearly falling apart and the shower had large lime scale build up. However, despite this with the quality of the food, cleanliness of the room,facilities and how friendly the staff were, this certainly wouldn't put me off returning to this hotel and I still believe it was excellent value for money!

Room Tip: If possible ask for a renovated room. Judging by the previous reviews which talk about features we d...