“Friendly staff but food in restaurant awful”

Mercure Leeds Parkway
Ranked #49 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
West Midlands
“Friendly staff but food in restaurant awful”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

The bed in our room was comfy but the room was rather "tired" with a huge patch of wallpaper missing by the bed and the grouting in the bathroom had seen better days.
All staff encountered during our stay were lovely and helpful but it was a shame that the experience in the restaurant let the hotel down. Although it was not very late, our first choices of both starters and main courses were "sold out". My husband and I both chose the same main course in the end and we both agreed that the meat had the strangest taste - tasted tainted and "off". In fact just one bite made us feel quite nauseous and we had to send both plates away. (We are NOT in the habit of complaining may i add , and the fact that we both did this is an indication of just how odd this tasted!!!!) We opted for a cheese sandwich on room service in the end and it was edible but not great.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Haggar
Stewart W, General Manager at Mercure Leeds Parkway, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Haggar

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and the recognition of our staff.

We are constantly working on improving the services within the hotel and as such have fed your comments back to the supplier who provided your main course and have been assured that there will not be a repeat of the same quality of food being delivered to us. I am aware that we did both replace the food item immediately and refund the cost of the meal upon departure.

Thank you once again for your comments which I hope we have addressed as you would wish.

Stewart Woodeson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We were given two rooms that would put a dogs kennels to shame and after complaining were told they were for refurb and shouldnt have been let!! Beds made tea making in rooms i dont think they were. We were then put in (proper rooms)!!!! The dining area leaves something to be desired more breKfast on floor and chairs than on buffet dithering waitress just walked round with a cloth wiping tables. Paint work cracked and falling off. Windows cills dirty all paint chipped.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Christine M

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

We are constantly working on improving the hotel and I apologise that we were not able to live up to your expectations. We are expecting a complete recedoration of the restaurant and lounge areas over the next couple of months, but in the meantime the window sill issue has been addressed this week, so thank you for your constructive comments. If you would be kind enough to contact me with the details of your stay I shall have your bedroom checked for any and all maintenance needs to to resolve them as soon as possible. My contact details are 020gm@jupiterhotels.co.uk or 0113 269 9000.

Stewart Woodeson

Travellers are raving about these Leeds hotels

Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 1 night...we had secured numerous rooms through our company and a good rate was secured.Bed and Breakfast was certainly not a disappointment.Diane on reception was excellent..nothing a trouble(it goes a long way).Our bedroom was fine..clean,and fresh smelling.All in all..one pleasant one night stay.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Stewart W, General Manager at Mercure Leeds Parkway, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Graham W,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel after your recent stay with us. I am pleased that your group enjoyed their stay with us and that our staff made your stay enjoyable whilst away from home. I hope that we can be of service to you again in the future.

Kind regards,

Redcar, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Very helpful, friendly receptionist. Excellent value. We enjoyed breakfast and the 3 course evening meal and found the waiting staff to be very attentive. Have stayed there several times, will go again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Mercure Hotels

Dear David_Dorothy

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel after your recent stay with us and I am delighted that you once again enjoyed your stay with us. I am very pleased that you enjoyed both breakfast and especially your evening dinner so I shall pass on your comments to our staff and particularly to our kitchen brigade. Once again, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and I look forward to welcomiong you again soon.

Kind regards,

Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed in this hotel and I have never slept in a more uncomfortable bed, probably would of been better to sleep on the floor! Rooms were very dated and very hot so no option but to sleep with the window open with a busy road outside so that added to the awful nights sleep. The staff were very friendly especially the old bar man Barry! However the housekeeping staff were so noisy! They would clean rooms next to mine and put the music channels on really loud and shout at each other. I would not choose to stay here again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Coxy07
Dear Coxy07

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I apologise that you were unable to sleep during your recent stay with us. As all of the beds in the hotel have been replaced within the last five months, I am not sure what else I can say other than to apologise that the bed did not suit your needs. We have ordered and are awaiting acoustic secondary glazing to be fitted to the studio bedroom wing which will no doubt resolve any noise issues in the future and I shall speak to the Housekeeping Manager regarding the comments regarding housekeeping staff.

Yours sincerely

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

From the moment you first walk through the door, you immediately get the idea that this was once a really nice hotel. That was probably about twenty years ago though and it's now well overdue for a makeover.

Although the rooms are a bit shabby, they are spotlessly clean, my bed was very comfortable and I got a good night's sleep.

For all of the above, the staff are fantastic. Alex, the girl on the reception desk when I checked in was a delight. Ernest the waiter in the restaurant was polite and attentive and the fellow on the desk when I checked out, could not have been any more cheery.

This hotel is about the same price as a Travelodge. If you go there expecting THAT, then you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Julian S

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that our staff represented themselves well in terms of both cleanliness and service. Please be aware that we are completing an ongoing soft refurbishment programme at present and I assume that your bedroom was not one of the finished rooms, so hopefully on your next stay we can arrange this for you. Once again, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Nice pleasant hotel on the outskirts of Leeds in the countryside.Very close to the airport. The reception staff were very helpful in finding a room with an extra bed.Only a very short stay but enjoyable.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear emirate shopper

Thank you for taking the time to write a review after your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for recognising our staff. We look forward to welcoming you again soon, hopefully for longer next time!

Stewart Woodeson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leeds
Mercure Wetherby
#36 of 87 in Leeds
Britannia Leeds Bradford Airport
Village Hotel Leeds North
Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel

Been to Mercure Leeds Parkway? Share your experiences!