“A pleasant hotel - though decor a little tatty”

Mercure Leeds Parkway
Ranked #49 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Leeds, United Kingdom
“A pleasant hotel - though decor a little tatty”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel for two nights in July 2013 - the fourth time I have used this hotel.

The hotel is conveniently located to the North of Leeds - adjacent to Golden Acre park. It has a nice swimming pool.

My party booked two standard doubles - the two rooms we were allocated were clean with comfy beds and patio doors opening into the garden area. However the rooms were furnished differently (e.g. one had a sofa, the second room did not), and one room lacked a hair drier and sufficient towels - the hair drier was not replaced, even after it had been mentioned to reception.

On three out of our four visits, including the most recent, the hotel fire alarms have sounded requiring evacuation.

Breakfast is a hot and cold buffet and very acceptable.

Overall I would recommend this hotel - however the decor is somewhat tired and tatty and I feel that many of the rooms, especially in the newer extension, are in need of a refresh.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms often have patio areas
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Stewart W, Manager at Mercure Leeds Parkway, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear AndyN

Many thanks for your review of the hotel. I was very pleased to read that you had an enjoyable and comfortable stay.

We do have a preventative maintenance program live in the hotel, which involves repairs and refurbishment, so the plan for the rest of the year is to continue with this.

I do hope you will return to the hotel in the near future.

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Leeds
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Just come back from a 3 day stay here and was very pleasantly surprised after reading some reviews on here. After a long drive we were greeted very warmly and infact found all the staff to be polite and helpful.

The rooms could do with a refurbishment but they still serve the purpose and have everything one would expect of a 3* hotel- we had a lovely view of the gardens at the back which was a massive bonus to us.

The restaurant was not very busy however service was still good and we enjoyed our food - our waiter recommended the steak and ale pie which was very nice, and my partner had the 1/2 chicken which again was nice

Overall was a very good stay with not a few minor niggles which were promptly fixed once we had asked and would not hesitate to come back and recommend to our friends

Stayed July 2014
Stewart W, Manager at Mercure Leeds Parkway, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear Mitch195

Many thanks for your review. I was delighted to read that you had enjoyable and comfortable stay at the hotel, and that you enjoyed a lovely meal in the restaurant! The steak and Ale pie is certainly a favourite of mine!
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I just got home from having stayed for 2 nights at the Mercure Leeds Parkway. My partner & I stayed fri 25th & sat 26th July for a wedding we were attending on the saturday. Overall, I've rated this hotel a 3, and titled the review 'OK.' because it was simply that. In all honesty, there were some outstanding features & some poor features which to me, averages at ok. They are as follows:
1. The hotel is set amongst beautiful scenery. The location is fab, and the surrounding area is easily accessible. The hotel itself has a lovely garden including both paved seating areas and grassy areas for the kids to run around!
2. The swimming pool was definitely a pleasant surprise, although we did not actually get a chance to use is so i cannot comment on the pool facilities and cleanliness, i was excited at the prospect of a quick dip to freshen me up following a night drinking at the wedding but to no avail.
3. The room we had was just a bog standard double which was clean and tidy, can't complain, te bathroom was also clean and tidy & had both a bath and shower (well a shower head over the bath - fyi ladies, the head is fixed & doesnt move so if you were planning a quick freshen up without getting your hair wet - think again!) in addition we had a balcony!!! Oh wow, was I shocked to see that! How wonderful :) especially as a smoker it was great, i didnt have to haule myself all the way downstairs! FABULOUS :)
4. On the wedding front, i would say the hotel really accommodated the bride & grooms requirements. Obviously I cannot comment on the behind the scenes details so if you were hoping or those I'd suggest finding someone who has married there...
The negatives...
5. Given that we were at a wedding (and bearing in mind there were other paying guests using the hotel aside from ourselves) one would assume that a bar big enough to man 3 members of staff would be used to full capacity when expecting 100+ guests but no. In the day time (we had a different, private bar in the evening) when we were using the public bar, there was 1 member of staff serving & we were left waiting almost 15 minutes to get served. I would have been as upset about this is if weren't for the following point...
6. The drinks prices are EXTORTIONATE. I mean RIDICULOUS. I paid less, for more drinks of the same kind on a trip to London than I did in this place. I am absolutely disgusted at the price of beverages in this hotel. I honestly think that the charges they place on drinks is enough to put anyone off. Having spoken to other wedding goers we all said the same that we would be reluctant to return to this hotel without having had a lotto win first! DOn't get me wrong, my partner and I weren't short on cash, but between the two of us, we quite easily spent £300+ on drinks alone during Saturday & I was only drinking soft drinks and water - no alcohol!!! I would strongly reccomend considering alternative options to this hotel if you think the price of a SMALL (by this i mean 1 1/2 pint glass) bottle of water should be less than £2.50 because it isnt!!! Both my partner and I have worked in bars for a number of years, my partner has run several different bars over the years and so we know the average wholesale pricing for the things we were purchasing and let me tell you, this hotel is making mega bucks on the drinks. I am honestly, horrified that people think they can charge these kind of prices. I wouldve thought perhaps they could have arranged some kind of wedding offer, for example in the evening when we had a private bar, wedding guests only, they could have said if you book for 100 people then we will reduce drinks prices by 10% or something. Based on the fact that we now cant afford to go anywhere for a while because of the ridiculous drinks prices, we would be very reulctant to return to this hotel despite its beautiful character and everything else being fantastic.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear NatalieB

Many thanks for your indepth review on the hotel. On the whole I was very happy to read that the majority of your feedback was very positive. We do pride ourselves on customer service, especially our wedding clients.

I was dissapointed to read that you were not happy with the bar prices. I can assure you that the hotel bar prices are in line with the other hotels in the area, and the city of Leeds. Our bar tariff as you are probably aware from your experience in the industry is also designed on a band range, meaning that a lot of research is done to ensure the prices we charge are in line with the region. The majority of our soft drinks are less than £2.00.

I do hope this did not put you off using the hotel in the future as I know you were impressed with the bedroom, and balcony features.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

I managed to get a room for £60 for the night before my flight to La Rochelle from Leeds Bradford. I'd looked at other hotels but couldn't get a price as good as this, so despite some iffy reviews, I went ahead and booked the Mercure Parkway. I wasn't disappointed.
My boyfriend joined me for the night and we had a smooth check in and spent 45 in the hotel gym - I was impressed with the equipment and cleanliness in the gym and we were able to use it free of charge.
The room itself was equally impressive - the hotel is an old fashioned style but well kept and very clean throughout. Our room had everything we needed - a hair dryer, iron, trouser press, coffee making facilities and a comfortable double bed. The bathroom was spacious with an excellent shower too. We had a mini balcony with views out over the fields. I had to leave at 6am but my boyfriend enjoyed a long sleep in and watched TV the next morning - there were plenty channels to choose from.

I wouldn't hesitate in booking this hotel again.

Stayed July 2014
Dear SammyBee87

Many thanks for your review, I am delighted to read that you had a wonderful, enjoyable stay at the hotel.
I hope you had a lovely holiday, and I look forward to welcoming you and your boyfriend back to the hotel in the near future.

Burnley
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We stayed here on a pre-holiday stay before our flight. The hotel itself was good and we decided to eat in the restuarant.

The restuarant had absolutely no atmosphere, no ambience at all! The menu was limited and so was the wine list, no Prosecco and a bog standard bottle of Pinot Grigio was £22.00. We ordered the burgers and I went for the chicken one, it was like shoe leather - very dry. When I mentioned it I was told "I'll mention it"... that was that!

So, to sum up - nice hotel but don't bother with the restaurant!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Parkie68

Many thanks for your review. I am dissapointed to read that the hotel restaurant did not meet your expectations, I apologise for this.
I have fed this feedback to the chef regarding the burger, and to the restaurant manager.
I do hope this will not put you off using the hotel for another pre holiday stay.

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Stayed for three nights and this hotel has seen it's best times. Everything is old, not maintained and just this very old muffy British style. Location is quite far from Leeds centre but it is okay if you want to be close to the airport. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear guest1234567892

I am dissapointed to read that the hotel did not meet your expectations.
The hotel does have a preventative maintenance plan in place which has most recently allowed us to re decorate some bedrooms and put 80 brand new beds in the bedrooms, and we have a refurbishment plan in place for the bar and restaurant.
The hotel is a traditional country style hotel, and we are extremely popular for weddings and leisure guests, which makes the hotel unique in its own way and lots of our guests like the hotel for what it is.

Operations Manager

Travellers are raving about these Leeds hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Leeds
Mercure Wetherby
Mercure Bradford, Bankfield Hotel
Britannia Leeds Bradford Airport
Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel
Village Hotel Leeds North

Been to Mercure Leeds Parkway? Share your experiences!