“Great refurb and pleasant professional staff”
Review of The Queens - Leeds

The Queens - Leeds
Ranked #11 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“Great refurb and pleasant professional staff”
Reviewed 5 September 2011

Stayed for just one night. Some confusion as to the booking at the front desk but the asian receptionist was able to sort out an upgraded room for a minimal price and all done with a friendly and professional demeanour.
I had stayed at this hotel some years ago and they have certainly upped their game since then.
Great, huge bed and wonderful shower.
Bit disappointed with the lounge/bar but the things that matter are very well done.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this review, 6 September 2011
Dear Walfie25

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay at The Queens. I am sorry that you experienced initial confusion, however I am delighted to read that our team were able to rectify this with minimal inconvenience to yourself and that you were able to enjoy the highest levels of customer service and quality

We very much look forward to welcoming you back soon

Kind regards

Ivar van Diepen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (628)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Norfolk
Reviewed 2 September 2011

I stayed here with friends for two nights and found the hotel a superb base for exploring Leeds. It's wonderfully located next to the train station and has bars/restuarants just across the street.

The rooms are spacious, well-equipped and the beds are very comfortable. The breakfast is excellent and the staff couldn't do more to make the stay pleasant.

I wouldn't hesitate to re-book.

Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this review, 4 September 2011
Thank you for your review of The Queens. I was great to learn that you found our Hotel super and that as a result you would not hesitate to return in the future. Our staff work hard to provide excellent service and it is great to see that you have experienced this during your stay and have made the effort to acknowledge this. With our enviable location we hope to see you back soon!

Hampshire, UK
Reviewed 31 August 2011

A very central hotel close to all the shops and next to the station. The staff were very friendly and helpful, from the reception to the concierge, including one who was on work placement, made us feel very welcome. They also arranged valet parking. I booked through late rooms so had an excellent price, breakfast was good and the beds were comfy. Overall very happy and would stay there again but would take my own hairdryer as the small one in the room kept overheating and cutting out - then again I do have long hair.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this review, 1 September 2011
Many thanks for reviewing The Queens following your recent stay. I am delighted you had a great experience and look forward to welcoming you back in the future. I have noted your comment regarding the hair dryer and will keep this in mind for any future product enhancement plans.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2011

The Queens hotel in Leeds is very statuesque & the lobby area & theme of the hotel is beautiful. It is in a perfect location if you are travelling in by train, as we were. The staff were all attentive & friendly. We stayed on a special deal from Lastminute.com so it was great value for money, which is why I didn't feel that I could complain about the cleanliness (or lack of).

We arrived in the early afternoon as none of our paperwork detailed the check-in times & we were lucky that a room was available, so we left our luggage in the room & headed straight into town, which is a stones-throw away. When we got back to the hotel later in the afternoon I decided to have a bath before we went out for dinner, before getting in I noticed a film of dirt & hairs on the surface of the water. So I showered instead. There was also an old contact lens in the corner of the bathroom floor, I wasn't actually bothered by the lens itself, but it just showed that the bathroom hadn't really been cleaned properly at all. The net curtains in the bedroom were also incredibly filthy. I assumed that maybe these rooms had just had a quick clean and we had checked in early, but it wasn't at all what I was expecting.

This level of poor cleaning was also reflected around the hotel, I used the toilets in the bar area on the Sunday & they were in a bit of a state, with two of the four either missing toilet-roll or unclean, when I popped back in on the Monday they were in exactly the same state.
It's a shame, becuase I would be bursting to go back to the hotel, but the fact it wasn't very clean makes me feel a bit uncomfortable about returning.

1 Thank sammylou100084
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at our Hotel. I am pleased you described our Hotel, which has a history dating back to 1937, as beautiful. I have noted your comments regarding the cleanliness and am genuinely sorry that, on this occasion, the standard experienced fell short of our usually high standards. I trust that our communication by email and our gesture of goodwill made will go some way in restoring your faith and I am thankful you have given us the opportunity to redeem ourselves.

London
Reviewed 29 August 2011

We stayed at the Queens hotel for 1 night. I booked the Q club room and a Junior King suite I was sent confirmation of the rooms that I requested however was called the following morning and told that the Q club room was no longer available, I was not impressed as the main reason I booked the Hotel was for this room type. As it was not possible to book another Hotel I accepted the Hotels offer for another Junior King Suite. I feel they should have compensated me or offered a discount. The rooms are clean and beds are comfortable the only down side was the toilet has some staining on the seat. The lifts take forever I must have waited for over 10 mins my brother coundn't wait so he decided to take the stairs. The breakfast was very good and location is terrific. Overall had a few issues but the Hotel was still ok.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Mesh17
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this review, 30 August 2011
Thank you for your review. I have noted your comment regarding your original reservation and am sorry for any inconvenience caused as a result. Naturally, I would be more than happy to personally assist with your booking requirements for a future stay. With regards to the lifts I would like to highlight that our Hotel has a fabulous history dating back to 1937 which does however also mean that modifications or alterations can not be made easily. I was sorry to learn that, on this occasion, you suffered a slight delay. I trust that my reply will go some way in restoring your faith in us and that we will have an opportunity to welcome you back to our Hotel.

Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2011

I stayed at The Queens for a night on my own when attending a function nearby and would thoroughly recommend it.
I booked only the day before and got an amazing deal on a "single" room. I was a little concerned given the very low price that the room might be very small or not up to scratch but I couldn't have been more wrong. In fact I got a decent sized double with all "mod cons" of a standard 4* hotel.
The staff were very friendly and helpful to boot.
I didn't eat in the hotel at all so cannot comment on the food and the one negative thing I would say that the bar is a little soulless being cavernous in it's proportions.

But overall I was delighted with stay.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
Thank you for your review of The Queens following your recent stay. I am pleased you found our advance purchase price to offer unbelievable value and that you had a great stay. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

liverpool
Reviewed 25 August 2011

My husband and I have just got home after staying 2 nights at the Queens Hotel in the centre of Leeds.The hotel was excellent and I would highly recommend.The hotel is situated in the heart of the city centre and just a few minutes walk from the Museum,Art Gallery and shopping areas.The Royal Armouries is only a 20 minute walk away.The staff were excellent and the breakfast is highly recommended.

Paula from Childwall Liverpool

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for letting us and the wider travel community know that you had a great stay at The Queens. Our central location is unrivalled and offers fantastic access to many of the nearby attractions and shops. We hope you will stay with us again soon.