“Great location and staff”
Review of The Queens - Leeds

The Queens - Leeds
Ranked #12 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 20 September 2011

I am catching up with reviews so this one is a bit late - but I stayed on and off at the Queens in October/November last year and overall was very impressed with the hotel.

The breakfast also started at 6:30 which is great if you are there for business and you need to eat before you go out, the beds were comfortable and overal i found their facilities excellant for someone on business. I remember you get some sort of wifi allocation per day whch you jsut ask reception for the code for.

The hotel itself is attached to the station, so location is great if you are going to leeds by train. Also it is very central so restaurants and main shops are within a 5-10 minute walk.

A further bonus if you are travelling to leeds regularly - i stayed at the hotel about 2 nights a week and by the time i was there for the third week, they had noted on their system that i was a regular and i was upgraded to the Qclub level which is great - with its own private bar/breakfast area. The rooms and bathrooms are also newer so a nice treat!

Room Tip: Ask about an upgrade to Q club!
  • Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank 7leafClover
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2011

Dear 7leafclover

Thank you for reviewing the hotel and you will be delighted to know that the hotel now offers Free high speed WiFi to all our guests and perfect for all your business needs, particularly as you say being so close to the train station.

I am happy to read that you found the rest of the hotels’ facilities to be more than accommodating and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 19 September 2011

I received an email from Q Hotels and decided to book Queens for my stay in Leeds as it looked so impressive and was located brilliantly next to the train station. I booked a Junior Suite, as for the increase I thought the difference in size to the standard it would be worth it. I was very disappointed; the room was tired, shabby - I would even go so far as to say dirty. Stained furniture, dirty kettle, what looked like drinks stains on skirting boards, shredded net curtains that were just disgusting. The bathroom was basic and I was really disappointed at how small it was. The room seemed to be next to a boiler room or maintenance room as there was continual noise. The open vent in the ceiling for what I assume was the air con was directly above the head of the bed - rather disconcerting and extremely ugly. And the air con didn't actually seem to work.
Can't complain about the location of the hotel though - spot on.

1  Thank jayne f
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2011

Dear Jane F

Further to my recent correspondence, I would like to again thank you for your constructive review of The Queens, I was very disappointed to read the comments made, particularly regarding the standard of your bedroom facilities as over the last 5 years the hotel has spent in excess of £500k on the careful renovation of this beautiful and historical 1930s building and very much take the maintenance and upkeep of its facilities extremely seriously and will certainly look into the comments made; thank you for highlighting the issues.

On a more positive note, I am delighted that you found both its central location and the service received from our team to be a little more accommodating. Thank you again for highlighting your areas of concern, I am sorry if on this occasion you felt we did not live up to our usual high standard. I believe your experience to be most unfortunate and untypical for our usual standards of service. I trust that my apology and reply will at least go some way in restoring your faith in us and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 19 September 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Queens as a birthday treat. We were in a Superior Double which was lovely - spacious with a massive bed and loads of wardrobe space. The decor is lovely and the foyer is very impressive. The staff are extremely friendly and professional. I've stayed in 5 star hotels where the staff are rude and incompetent so the staff at The Queens are certainly a credit to the hotel. Small criticism - The plates at breakfast are tiny! More like saucers really. It doesn't matter as you can keep going back up for more, but it did amuse me and my other half.

Dear Anna H

Thank you for your lovely review of The Queens. I am thrilled you had a super stay with us and that you would recommend our hotel to others. We look forward to making you welcome again soon.

Reviewed 19 September 2011

Great location right next to Leeds station and near to the shops.
Check in took minutes to complete.
Great room with everything you need including a fridge which was very useful.
I would stay at this hotel again any time.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo

Dear dmarks431

Many thanks for your review of The Queens. I am delighted that you had a thoroughly enjoyable stay and as a result would be happy to recommend our hotel to others. Please do come back and visit us soon.

Reviewed 19 September 2011

We arrived approx 1.15 but knew our room may not be ready until 3pm. I did ask the lady at reception if she would find out when it would be ready and she said she would enquire for us. I told her we would be in the bar and asked if she would let us know. We had drinks plus sandwiches (top quality food, the young lady in the bar was very sweet and very smiley). Left the bar are approx 2.40, different lady at reception. Our room still not ready she said it would be 5 to 10 minutes after making a phone call. We sat and waited, a lovely gentleman from the concierge desk said he would check for us, finally we checked again at 3.10 to be told the room had been ready for a "while"!! He accompanied us to our room, a suite on the "Q Club" top floor, very impressed with the size, furnishings etc. It also had a terrace with table and chairs outside. We were shown the Q Club lounge, complimentary tea and coffee all day and complimentary wines and beers between 6 and 8 in the evening. We were told a member of staff would be there to serve at that time.

Went into the Q Club lounge at 7.10, my husband asked the man serving if he had any Rose wine and was told "No Sir". He did not offer to get any which suprised us as if you are offering complimentary wine surely Red White and Rose should be on offer? Stayed for one drink and went off into Leeds.
Breakfast not up to standard the following morning, very fatty bacon and sausages looked anaemic so did not risk these. On leaving we were asked if we had paid for car parking and explained we hadn't been told there was a charge for this, so had to pay £11.95 on top of £186 for the room. Not happy about that.

Dear Sally P

Many thanks for your constructive and balanced review of The Queens. I am sincerely sorry that some aspects of your stay did not go according to plan.

I do believe your experience on this occasion to be most untypical of our usual high standards, I was surprised too to read your comments relating to the standard of breakfast as we receive a great many compliments and can only apologise, I can assure you that all products are purchased with quality in mind and cooked freshly throughout the breakfast service.

I do hope that this hasn’t tainted your view of the hotel and very much look forward to welcoming you back as our guests.

Reviewed 18 September 2011

Very welcoming, we arrived early and were shown to our room straightaway.Excellent room with good views to the front just what we asked for.Location right in the centre with easy access to trainstation, restaurants and shopping.However food and beveraqe prices within the hotel were quite steep, cheaper to stay room only and walk5mins up the road for breakfast.
Would return again with no hesitation, as excellent room and freindly staff. Stayed Aug 2011

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2011

Dear Sange31

I am pleased that you enjoyed your break at the hotel and have been able to use our excellent location as a base for visiting the city. I urge you next time you stay The Queens breakfasts are legendary.

Reviewed 18 September 2011

We used Leeds as a base for travel in northern UK and chose the Queens Hotel on two occasions because there is direct access from the rail station, making it much easier to handle our luggage. Staff were efficient and pleasant and even though our bookings were "last minute" deals we were given a great room with a wonderful view of City Square. Free access to a hotel computer and the internet (ask the concierge) was really appreciated as we needed to make forward bookings. We did not have a meal there, so cannot comment on the food but we have no complaints at all about our stay at this hotel. The location could not be better.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear RobFaraway

First of all many thanks for returning to our hotel and for taking the time to post a review. I am very pleased with your comment as it demonstrates that our entire team has a truly caring attitude, which was a big reason in you staying with us again. We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Kind regards