“Excellent for conferences!”
Review of The Queens - Leeds

The Queens - Leeds
Ranked #14 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 22 September 2011

I am an event manager working for a pharmaceutical company and we booked this hotel for a conference of 180 people in September. In short, the hotel really pulled out all the stops in making sure this event went well. Nothing was too much trouble at all. The concierge had procedures in place to deal with 100 cars and bags all at once which was impressive, the food was excellent and the chef catered to every request. The sales manager and GM are super friendly, professional and flexible. If you're looking for a conference/event venue in Leeds this is the place to go. Situated right in the middle of the city centre and connected to the main railway station you couldn't ask for a better location. Even if the weather is bad, there are restaurants within a 30 second walk too.
Thank you again for making my life easy and living up to the very high expectations of our delegates!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2011

Dear Emily B

I am thrilled that you had an enjoyable stay and that the team ensured that your every need was catered for, thank you too for sharing your views with the wider travelling and conferencing community, I am sure that they too will not be disappointed.

We very much look forward to being able to accommodate you again in the near future

Kind regards

Ivar van Diepen

Write a ReviewReviews (3,401)

Reviewed 21 September 2011

Stayed for a conference. The room was clean and pleasantly ventilated, and had free WiFi with reasonable speeds for streaming radio &c. There was air conditioning and trouser press.
My only gripes would be that the elevators were few and slow- I was staying on the seventh floor. The food was also disappointing- as we had several meals there.
I would certainly be happy to stay there again, but would choose one of the other local eateries. It's a good location and the rooms are much better than the tired lobby and other common rooms might suggest.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank kkqd1209

Thank you for taking the time to post such a concise and balanced review of our hotel. Whilst I am delighted that you found your room to be everything you would expect in a 4* luxury hotel and our brand new high speed free internet facility. I was a little disappointed to read your comments regarding the food and would welcome the opportunity to discuss this further with you.

With regards to your comment relating to the lifts, the building has been lovingly restored to its Art Deco heritage and has thus retained many of its original features, the lifts being one such feature. Although they can appear a little slower than the more modern variety for which I apologise I truly believe that their design adds charm to the architecture of this magnificent building.

Reviewed 20 September 2011

The Queen's Hotel is ideal for those wanting a central location, being situated close to Leeds railway station (there is even a hotel entrance on the station) and also for those using Leeds Bradford Airport, it is very close to the departure stop for the Airport bus.

The hotel reception staff were helpful, pleasant and efficient. We were checked in quickly, and given directions to our room.

The rooms are well-appointed, having both bath and (powerful) shower, toiletries (something getting rarer in many hotels), tea and coffee making facilities and in our most recent stay a robe was provided, and if you wanted one to take home you had to buy one from Housekeeper. The views from both our rooms were quite acceptable.

The breakfast was provided in the basement Queen's Grill, and consisted of buffet breakfast - the usual hot bacon, eggs (scrambled and fried), sausages and toaster (better than having cold toast provided in a rack!) There was also a cold buffet consisting of yoghurt, cheese, salami, muesli and various cereals. Tea and coffee were provided by waiting staff, who are very efficient in clearing away used plates.

We had two stays here in the past few weeks (after using Leeds Bradford Airport) and we would happily recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 September 2011

I am catching up with reviews so this one is a bit late - but I stayed on and off at the Queens in October/November last year and overall was very impressed with the hotel.

The breakfast also started at 6:30 which is great if you are there for business and you need to eat before you go out, the beds were comfortable and overal i found their facilities excellant for someone on business. I remember you get some sort of wifi allocation per day whch you jsut ask reception for the code for.

The hotel itself is attached to the station, so location is great if you are going to leeds by train. Also it is very central so restaurants and main shops are within a 5-10 minute walk.

A further bonus if you are travelling to leeds regularly - i stayed at the hotel about 2 nights a week and by the time i was there for the third week, they had noted on their system that i was a regular and i was upgraded to the Qclub level which is great - with its own private bar/breakfast area. The rooms and bathrooms are also newer so a nice treat!

Room Tip: Ask about an upgrade to Q club!
  • Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank 7leafClover

Dear 7leafclover

Thank you for reviewing the hotel and you will be delighted to know that the hotel now offers Free high speed WiFi to all our guests and perfect for all your business needs, particularly as you say being so close to the train station.

I am happy to read that you found the rest of the hotels’ facilities to be more than accommodating and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 19 September 2011

I received an email from Q Hotels and decided to book Queens for my stay in Leeds as it looked so impressive and was located brilliantly next to the train station. I booked a Junior Suite, as for the increase I thought the difference in size to the standard it would be worth it. I was very disappointed; the room was tired, shabby - I would even go so far as to say dirty. Stained furniture, dirty kettle, what looked like drinks stains on skirting boards, shredded net curtains that were just disgusting. The bathroom was basic and I was really disappointed at how small it was. The room seemed to be next to a boiler room or maintenance room as there was continual noise. The open vent in the ceiling for what I assume was the air con was directly above the head of the bed - rather disconcerting and extremely ugly. And the air con didn't actually seem to work.
Can't complain about the location of the hotel though - spot on.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jayne f
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2011

Dear Jane F

Further to my recent correspondence, I would like to again thank you for your constructive review of The Queens, I was very disappointed to read the comments made, particularly regarding the standard of your bedroom facilities as over the last 5 years the hotel has spent in excess of £500k on the careful renovation of this beautiful and historical 1930s building and very much take the maintenance and upkeep of its facilities extremely seriously and will certainly look into the comments made; thank you for highlighting the issues.

On a more positive note, I am delighted that you found both its central location and the service received from our team to be a little more accommodating. Thank you again for highlighting your areas of concern, I am sorry if on this occasion you felt we did not live up to our usual high standard. I believe your experience to be most unfortunate and untypical for our usual standards of service. I trust that my apology and reply will at least go some way in restoring your faith in us and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 19 September 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Queens as a birthday treat. We were in a Superior Double which was lovely - spacious with a massive bed and loads of wardrobe space. The decor is lovely and the foyer is very impressive. The staff are extremely friendly and professional. I've stayed in 5 star hotels where the staff are rude and incompetent so the staff at The Queens are certainly a credit to the hotel. Small criticism - The plates at breakfast are tiny! More like saucers really. It doesn't matter as you can keep going back up for more, but it did amuse me and my other half.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Anna H

Thank you for your lovely review of The Queens. I am thrilled you had a super stay with us and that you would recommend our hotel to others. We look forward to making you welcome again soon.

Reviewed 19 September 2011

Great location right next to Leeds station and near to the shops.
Check in took minutes to complete.
Great room with everything you need including a fridge which was very useful.
I would stay at this hotel again any time.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo

Dear dmarks431

Many thanks for your review of The Queens. I am delighted that you had a thoroughly enjoyable stay and as a result would be happy to recommend our hotel to others. Please do come back and visit us soon.