“Could not complain.... great base to explore”
Review of The Queens - Leeds

The Queens - Leeds
Ranked #14 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 23 October 2011

Stayed over on Saturday 24th October, Superior Room half price through last minute.
Room was good size, with great view looking out over the city / front. Being on the front, and also close to the lift, we thought we may hear alot of noise from a) outside and b) people going to and from the lift, but when we woke up it was 9.30am!!! and we had not heard anyone (although the 3 bottles of wine the previous night probably helped that). My only issue with the room was that it was on the cold side and the heating did not appear to push the heat out well, but as we were only there for one night and out for most of the time it did not bother us. Room was very clean and tidy. Room Service also swapped the compliementary wine from red to white with no hassle.
Just before we got into Leeds we phoned the hotel to say we were early. We were told that our room was ready at 12 noon, so it meant we did not have to wait around til 3ish. Upon arrival we pulled up outside the hotel and handed our keys in a at Reception who parked my car. £12 for 24 hours parking was great value. Reception were great too and we we were in our room within 5 mins.
We did not eat at the hotel so could not comment. Overal though, for what we paid, full marks goes to The Queens!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a nice veiw when booking.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2011

Dear Donbeech2904

Ivar van Diepen

Write a ReviewReviews (3,351)

Reviewed 22 October 2011

I arrived late one Thursday evening & was delighted to see a "home from home" section on the room service menu. I ordered a cheese and ham omelette which arrived within 25 minutes. It was exactly what I needed & was well made & well presented with salad & chips. A refreshing change to see some relatively plain items on the menu (as that's sometimes exactly what travellers want)!

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 18 October 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Queens on our wedding night having had our reception at a venue just outside leeds. The hotel, its reception staff and online staff could not have been better. I was allowed to check in early and leave our overnight bags in the room and use the valet parking.

We were also allocated a junior suite that was beautiful (only paid the standard double rate) which was such a nice touch.

We will deffinately stay there again.

Great experience

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KTBFFH
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2011

Thank you for your lovely review of The Queens. I am thrilled you had a super stay with us and that you would recommend our hotel to others. We look forward to making you welcome again soon.

Warmest regards

Reviewed 17 October 2011

The room was super, I couldn't have asked for anything better. The breakfast bar was good, especially after I discovered the porridge, which was lucious. The scrambled eggs were a bit soggy and since I don't eat pork I cannot comment on the bacon or sausage, except to say there were a lot of people eating it. I also had dinner and I would say it was very good. The temperatures were correct. There were only 2 things that I wasn't real keen on, the salad had too many bitter greens and the rib steak was very fatty. Now I know that rib eye steak can be fatty so that is why I am giving the food a very good. The staff service was exceptional. I would recommend this hotel without hesitation. It is ideally located for me because it is right next door, literally, to the train station. And I had a wonderful view of the city centre. Great, great, great hotel.

Room Tip: I was in room 730 and had a wonderful view of the city centre. Only one time did I hear anyone in th...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2011

Dear Debra1951

Thank you for your feedback and for sharing that you had a superb stay at the hotel. Delighted that you were able to sample our Porridge station, a perfect start for these cold mornings we’re sadly now experiencing. We very much look forward to welcoming you as our guest very soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed 17 October 2011

The hotel was very very nice, staff helpful and friendly, room very clean and big everything you would need for your stay, food was very good, things are a little expensive there but worth it i would be more than happy to stay there again pamper yourself and go for a weekend you will love it

Room Tip: we were in room 227 the view from the window was not good but the room itself was very good
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends

Dear David W

Reviewed 16 October 2011

its a real shame i cant give a better review. The Queens is clearly an art deco gem. but attempts to restore her have clearly missed the mark. The rooms are average and chain like, although comfortable and clean enough. liveried staff were polite, although the reception girl was less impressive. Great location if travelling by train.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business

Dear PSTLK

Thank you for your review of the hotel, I too am sorry that we were not able to offer you the chance to post a more favourable review. I can assure you that a considerable amount of investment was made to restore the hotel and as you can imagine it is an ongoing project and one which is readily undertaken on a regular basis, which is nothing less than this magnificent building deserves.

I am pleased however that you found the location and the majority of the staff to be polite and welcoming.

Reviewed 16 October 2011

Having visited Leeds previously, i was aware of the location and position of The Queens. I am a huge fan of Q hotels, who now run this hotel. As indicated - its position cannot be bettered.. adjacent to the train staion if you arrive by train - it even has access direct from the station concourse. It's also a stones throw from the centre of Leeds for shopping etc.
We were there for just the 2 nights. I found the staff friendly and helpful. Lets be clear - this is not a new hotel, and there are places were it does indeed seem a little tired, but I think this is part of its appeal. The room we were allocated was a little small -particularly the bathroom - but was spotlessley clean. Whilst walking along the corridor though, I did happen to notice that another room was being serviced, which did appear to be significantly more spacious than ours so maybe we were just allocated a smaller room, because we were on a specific "deal" for a 2 night break? Dunno. Nice fittings/ lighting in the room tho. Flat screen tv, tea & coffee facilities.
We had breakfast as part of the package ..excellent. Great choice of hot/cold food, and a lovely art deco setting.
Overall - a very nice hotel, well maintained and with friendly staff.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank mel.w

Dear Mel.w

Thank you for taking the time to post such a concise review of the hotel. I am delighted that as a fan of QHotels you were not disappointed with The Queens and thank you for your continued support.

Delighted that you found the location, cleanliness, friendliness of the team and food to be enjoyable, in response to your comment relating to the room I can assure you that all your allocation would not have reflected the price paid more that the room you viewed whilst walking along the corridor was most likely a suite.

I do hope that you visit us again soon.