“Really good hotel with the perfect location”
Review of The Queens - Leeds

The Queens - Leeds
Ranked #12 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 25 October 2011

I booked this through Expedia and it was £67 for a standard double room. On the whole it was great value and I'd recommend staying here.

The good:

If there's a better located city centre hotel in the U.K that's of the same standard or higher then I'd love to know what it is. You've got the train station next to it, alot of bars and clubs on your doorstep and all of those fantastic shops a five minutes or so walk away. No need for taxis here if you're only ever in the centre.

Loved the Art Deco features. It just added to the experience - imposing in a grand way but very unique.

I had such a wonderful view from the fifth floor of and of other parts of the city centre. It really does make a difference.

There's superb customer service at The Queens, especially when I checked out late morning one Saturday in the middle of August. The lady on reception was so warm and professional and I noticed the same when I was waiting behind a couple who were also being checked out by this member of staff. I don't know her name but she was about late 30's, blonde, local. A terrific asset to this hotel.

I was a bit nervous of getting a good nights sleep here as I read that lots of hen and stag parties stay here but I slept like a log and the bed was very comfy.

The bad:

I know from reading previous reviews that some people have been put off by the net curtains, and when I first arrived in the hotel yes I noticed they looked faded. It was a bit off-putting. I think the manager replied to some of these reviews and said that they're deliberately champagne colour. I think better to avoid confusion and replace them with new white ones, though perhaps this is in the air anyway.

My inside window ledge was dirty, but everything else was clean. Surprisingly disappointing and it's the reason why I can't give the hotel a 5* rating.

Bathroom was small (see one of my pictures), but OK I suppose for one person.

I didn't eat here as I was on a budget so ate at cafes elsewhere however I think that £9.95 is reasonably priced for a breakfast buffet for a 4* hotel (but still I couldn't stretch to it - next time!).

Would I stay here again? Yes, definitely!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2011

Dear Globalcitizen_1975

Many thanks for your review of The Queens. I am delighted that you had a thoroughly enjoyable stay and as a result would be happy to recommend our hotel to others. I am particularly pleased that you have written a very balanced and comprehensive review. I have noted your comment regarding the window and I am glad you have pointed this out, I will certainly discuss this with our housekeeping team.

Please do visit us again soon where I hope we can achieve that 5* rating.

Reviewed 24 October 2011

Have stayed here before and have been positive about it . Central location , fair value and friendly staff. Not so positive this time around. Parts of the hotel are very tired including our room on the 5th floor.
Sunday checkout was a bit of a scrum and it took 40 minutes to retrieve our car through the hotel's car parking service due to our ticket becoming lost and so we were late getting away.
Will think twice about re- booking and will probably try other places. A shame because the Queen's has some good things about it.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 October 2011

Stayed over on Saturday 24th October, Superior Room half price through last minute.
Room was good size, with great view looking out over the city / front. Being on the front, and also close to the lift, we thought we may hear alot of noise from a) outside and b) people going to and from the lift, but when we woke up it was 9.30am!!! and we had not heard anyone (although the 3 bottles of wine the previous night probably helped that). My only issue with the room was that it was on the cold side and the heating did not appear to push the heat out well, but as we were only there for one night and out for most of the time it did not bother us. Room was very clean and tidy. Room Service also swapped the compliementary wine from red to white with no hassle.
Just before we got into Leeds we phoned the hotel to say we were early. We were told that our room was ready at 12 noon, so it meant we did not have to wait around til 3ish. Upon arrival we pulled up outside the hotel and handed our keys in a at Reception who parked my car. £12 for 24 hours parking was great value. Reception were great too and we we were in our room within 5 mins.
We did not eat at the hotel so could not comment. Overal though, for what we paid, full marks goes to The Queens!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a nice veiw when booking.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2011

Dear Donbeech2904

Reviewed 22 October 2011

I arrived late one Thursday evening & was delighted to see a "home from home" section on the room service menu. I ordered a cheese and ham omelette which arrived within 25 minutes. It was exactly what I needed & was well made & well presented with salad & chips. A refreshing change to see some relatively plain items on the menu (as that's sometimes exactly what travellers want)!

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 18 October 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Queens on our wedding night having had our reception at a venue just outside leeds. The hotel, its reception staff and online staff could not have been better. I was allowed to check in early and leave our overnight bags in the room and use the valet parking.

We were also allocated a junior suite that was beautiful (only paid the standard double rate) which was such a nice touch.

We will deffinately stay there again.

Great experience

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KTBFFH
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2011

Thank you for your lovely review of The Queens. I am thrilled you had a super stay with us and that you would recommend our hotel to others. We look forward to making you welcome again soon.

Warmest regards

Reviewed 17 October 2011

The room was super, I couldn't have asked for anything better. The breakfast bar was good, especially after I discovered the porridge, which was lucious. The scrambled eggs were a bit soggy and since I don't eat pork I cannot comment on the bacon or sausage, except to say there were a lot of people eating it. I also had dinner and I would say it was very good. The temperatures were correct. There were only 2 things that I wasn't real keen on, the salad had too many bitter greens and the rib steak was very fatty. Now I know that rib eye steak can be fatty so that is why I am giving the food a very good. The staff service was exceptional. I would recommend this hotel without hesitation. It is ideally located for me because it is right next door, literally, to the train station. And I had a wonderful view of the city centre. Great, great, great hotel.

Room Tip: I was in room 730 and had a wonderful view of the city centre. Only one time did I hear anyone in th...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2011

Dear Debra1951

Thank you for your feedback and for sharing that you had a superb stay at the hotel. Delighted that you were able to sample our Porridge station, a perfect start for these cold mornings we’re sadly now experiencing. We very much look forward to welcoming you as our guest very soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed 17 October 2011

The hotel was very very nice, staff helpful and friendly, room very clean and big everything you would need for your stay, food was very good, things are a little expensive there but worth it i would be more than happy to stay there again pamper yourself and go for a weekend you will love it

Room Tip: we were in room 227 the view from the window was not good but the room itself was very good
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends