“Old fashioned Style”

Ranked #11 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Hartlepool
“Old fashioned Style”
Reviewed 1 November 2011

Stayed here a few times now on business. Rooms are always good and very stylish. The staff are attentive and the hotel has a decent restaurant in the basement. The room facing City Square have triple glazing and the street noise doesn't get through. Would recommend.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank monkeyHartlepool
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this review, 3 November 2011
Dear MonkeyHartlepool

First of all many thanks for returning to our hotel and for taking the time to post a review. I am very pleased with your comments as it demonstrates that we are able to offer you comfort, peace and quiet and good old fashioned style. I do hope you'll visit us again soon.

Ivar van Diepen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (628)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
stoke on Trent
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Stayed at the Queens on 27th to 29th october 2011 , we upgraded to the Q club and found the rooms excellent, quiet and the service was excellent, will have no hesitation in stopping here again, the staff are so friendly, it is handy for the station and the shops.

Room Tip: Q club is excellent
1 Thank Paul T
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this review, 1 November 2011
Dear Paul T

Thrilled you had such a wonderful stay at The Queens and that you treated yourself to Life at The Top, QClub really is a treat isn’t it. On behalf of myself and the team we very much look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Check in was smooth, we were early but could leave luggage with concierge. Room on 8th floor looked newly refurbished with very comfy bed and the access to the exec lounge was well worth it. We had a few drinks and nibbles before heading out and enjoyed the continental breakfast the next morning which I can imagine was much more relaxed than in the main restaurant. Location is key for this hotel, attached the the train station and only minutes walk from where you want to be. Definitely would come back! Free wifi as well...

Room Tip: Upgrade to the exec level on the 8th floor, drinks and nibbles in the evening and separate breakfast...
Dear Diskokugel1978

Thank you for your kind review of our hotel, as you say the location couldn’t be better for making full use of the amenities which Leeds has to offer. Glad too that you were able to sample QClub, Leeds only exclusive executive floor. Look forward to welcoming you back as our guest

Reviewed 31 October 2011

Had a night at the Grand in Leeds which is on the Station approach. Check in staff very friendly and room 7xx had an excelennt view over the city looking north.
Very comfy large bed with full facilities in my room. Bathroom and bath spotlessly clean.
Excellent value for money at £65 room only, but loads of cafes near by for food.

Would recommend.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Dear njd47559

Thank you for your lovely review of The Queens. I am thrilled you had a super stay with us and that you would recommend our hotel to others. We look forward to making you welcome again soon.

Scarborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2011

this hotel has a superb location right in the city centre,literally 200 yards from the railway station.huge and imposing building which inside was very art deco,we stayed for two nights in a superior room[still reasonable rate]which had an absolutely huge bed was roomy and had nice art-deco features,good sized bathroom was spotless.there was no noise whatsoever from hotel or guests but i personally found the traffic noise slightly intrusive as i am a light sleeper.only slight criticism was tatty net curtains,the staff seemed friendly and helpfull.we used the bar once which we found lacking in atmosphere it would be much better with some low background music to match the setting ie. light jazz.overall though would definitely recommend for a city break

Dear mikey66woo

Many thanks for your review of The Queens. I am delighted that you had a thoroughly enjoyable stay and as a result would be happy to recommend our hotel to others. I am particularly pleased that you have written a very balanced and comprehensive review and take all comments made on board.

Reviewed 25 October 2011

I booked this through Expedia and it was £67 for a standard double room. On the whole it was great value and I'd recommend staying here.

The good:

If there's a better located city centre hotel in the U.K that's of the same standard or higher then I'd love to know what it is. You've got the train station next to it, alot of bars and clubs on your doorstep and all of those fantastic shops a five minutes or so walk away. No need for taxis here if you're only ever in the centre.

Loved the Art Deco features. It just added to the experience - imposing in a grand way but very unique.

I had such a wonderful view from the fifth floor of and of other parts of the city centre. It really does make a difference.

There's superb customer service at The Queens, especially when I checked out late morning one Saturday in the middle of August. The lady on reception was so warm and professional and I noticed the same when I was waiting behind a couple who were also being checked out by this member of staff. I don't know her name but she was about late 30's, blonde, local. A terrific asset to this hotel.

I was a bit nervous of getting a good nights sleep here as I read that lots of hen and stag parties stay here but I slept like a log and the bed was very comfy.

The bad:

I know from reading previous reviews that some people have been put off by the net curtains, and when I first arrived in the hotel yes I noticed they looked faded. It was a bit off-putting. I think the manager replied to some of these reviews and said that they're deliberately champagne colour. I think better to avoid confusion and replace them with new white ones, though perhaps this is in the air anyway.

My inside window ledge was dirty, but everything else was clean. Surprisingly disappointing and it's the reason why I can't give the hotel a 5* rating.

Bathroom was small (see one of my pictures), but OK I suppose for one person.

I didn't eat here as I was on a budget so ate at cafes elsewhere however I think that £9.95 is reasonably priced for a breakfast buffet for a 4* hotel (but still I couldn't stretch to it - next time!).

Would I stay here again? Yes, definitely!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this review, 27 October 2011
Dear Globalcitizen_1975

Many thanks for your review of The Queens. I am delighted that you had a thoroughly enjoyable stay and as a result would be happy to recommend our hotel to others. I am particularly pleased that you have written a very balanced and comprehensive review. I have noted your comment regarding the window and I am glad you have pointed this out, I will certainly discuss this with our housekeeping team.

Please do visit us again soon where I hope we can achieve that 5* rating.

Reviewed 24 October 2011

Have stayed here before and have been positive about it . Central location , fair value and friendly staff. Not so positive this time around. Parts of the hotel are very tired including our room on the 5th floor.
Sunday checkout was a bit of a scrum and it took 40 minutes to retrieve our car through the hotel's car parking service due to our ticket becoming lost and so we were late getting away.
Will think twice about re- booking and will probably try other places. A shame because the Queen's has some good things about it.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family