“Great location and fantastic staff”
Review of The Queens - Leeds

The Queens - Leeds
Ranked #16 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 10 August 2012

Room styles may be a little dated but they are very clean and well maintained.

Location is fantastic being right next to the station but the rooms are very quiet.

However it is the staff that make this hotel especially the breakfast crew. They are a credit to the hotel, friendly, helpful without being in your face and discrete.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2012

Dear JJ_London71

Many thanks for your review of The Queens. I am delighted that you had a thoroughly enjoyable stay and as a result would be happy to recommend our hotel to others. Happy to read that you found the team to be the true heart of the hotel, I will certainly pass on your kind words to them as I know they strive to make all our guests stay special.

Looking forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back some time in the near future.

Warmest regards

Ivar van Diepen

Write a ReviewReviews (3,377)

Reviewed 10 August 2012

Just returned from a 4 night stay which we enjoyed. Hotel is situated next to the rail station and is very accessible. Our double room faced over city square and was clean and comfortable. Not sure why the coffee/tea making stuff is just off the floor instead of at a reasonable level. Bed comfortable, bathroom clean and provided with nice fluffy dressinggown for customer use. Breakfasts were excellent, but it is a nuisance to have to queue for a table. We only dined in one evening and had a reasonable meal but it was a bit pricy. That said the service was excellent. There are a lot of other eateries within walking distance so dinner elsewhere was not a problem. Check on and out was dealt with swiftly and efficiently. The only real downside of this large hotel is the old and slow lift. We found it quicker to take the stairs even from the 3rd floor. We will visit again if we go to Leeds.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the square are quieter than those overlooking the train station.

Dear Tricia H

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay at The Queens. I am pleased that on the whole you had an enjoyable stay with us. I do take on board your comments and thank you once again for your feedback.

Reviewed 9 August 2012

Have stayed at the Queens previously but won't be returning. The staff are very friendly but the hotel is looking very tired. The bar area was dirty with sticky tables, stained seats and empty glasses left on tables for the whole time we were there. The menu choice in the restaurant was poor as was the quality of my main meal. To top it all we didn't get much sleep due to drunken women running up and down the corridors slamming doors from 1am onwards. I guess advertising the hotel for hen and stag weekends does not help !!!

Dear Mitch1111

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at The Queens. I was disappointed to learn that you did not have a satisfactory stay with us and at this stage can only offer you my most sincere apologies.

I believe your experience to be most unfortunate and untypical for our usual standards of service.

Unfortunately our guest behaviour is completely out of our control; we do however do our utmost to see that our guests behave in accordance with what would be considered appropriate and considerate behaviour to other guests within the hotel and can only apologise that on this occasion we did not succeed.

I do hope that you will allow us the opportunity to restore your faith in our hotel and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel some time in the future.

Reviewed 9 August 2012

Just returned from a two night stay for our anniversary. Kathy on reception was great,checked us in early and up-graded our room on hearing why we were staying,fantastic room with a king sized bed and a great view of city square -thanks :). As usual all the staff were very attentive especially the lady on duty in the evening in the restaurant( vivienne i think,apologies if not ). Just one mini grumble (sorry guys) but having stayed last year and dining several times i do feel that the food was not on a par this time,not sure if the chef has changed or the food suppliers? certain touches were missing presentation wise eg rib-eye steak was served on its own steak board and not an ounce of fat,chips were super last time but run of the mill frozen variety this,more of a pub food experience on the whole this visit as opposed to a finer dining restaurant one.Still well worth a 4star rating over all,will be going back and would recomend.

Room Tip: The front rooms have a great view of City Square and not too noisy with windows closed. Away from th...

Dear beelsybub70

First of all many thanks for returning to our hotel and for taking the time to post a review. I am very pleased with your comment as it demonstrates that our entire team has a truly caring attitude, which was a big reason in you staying with us again. Thank you for your constructive feedback in relation to your dining experience, I will certainly pass on your comments to our executive chef.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon

Reviewed 8 August 2012

Hotel is right next to rail station and close to the centre of Leeds. Managed to secure a great Room and breakfast deal from Booking.com Room clean and tidy and staff helpful. Breakfast good. Drinks a wee bit on high side and no draught bitter. Only bitter was bottled and kept chilled - why? Bitter is best at room temperature.
Overall would use again if in Leeds.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business

Dear Malcolm A

I am pleased that on the whole you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and have been able to use our excellent location as a base for visiting the city. We will certainly take your comments on board regarding the Bitter.

Warm regards

Reviewed 7 August 2012

I stayed overnight at The Queens - Leeds due to attending a Scentsy Convention being held there. I was amazed at how close the train station was to the hotel and was wowed with a red carpet welcome.

Checked in quickly by well mannered staff and given a key to Room 514 which gives a lovely view from the window.

Room was lovely, magazines to read and information which contrary to popular belief is very useful especially after reading I was able to use the Hotel Wi Fi.
Lovely tea/coffee making facilities but I quickly used all the 4 little milks provided and had to ask if possible I could have some more, this was sorted out quickly and i had plenty to last my stay.

Bathroom beautifully clean and lots of towels provided should you need to use them with complimentary toiletries which was fab because i forgot to pack my shower gel/shampoo.

Switched on the Tv and it had a little welcome message with my name on it .

Bed was very comfortable and the room was very quiet even though facing the main street and you could hardly hear anything once you had shut your door.

Breakfast was fabulous, with a huge amount of choice, hot food, pastries, muffins and well worth getting up early for.

My bags were looked after when I checked out as I was staying for the remainder of the day at the convention. Nothing was too much trouble and I look forward to visiting this hotel again if I am staying in the area.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business

Dear Debbie S

Many thanks for your review of The Queens. I am delighted that you had a thoroughly enjoyable stay and as a result would be happy to recommend our hotel to others. I am particularly pleased that you have written a very balanced and comprehensive review

Look forward to seeing you again soon

Reviewed 6 August 2012

I returned this morning from a one night stay at The Queens. On arrival at Leeds station the heavens opened. I was therefore pleased to find that The Queens was literally a minutes’ walk from the main entrance of Leeds station! Check in was simple enough and the receptionists were friendly and helpful. I was allocated room 634, a twin room on the sixth floor of the hotel. The room itself was adequate and had everything I needed for my stay. My only complaint with the room was the bathroom, I got the impression it had been cleaned in a hurry and that certain areas had been missed. I noticed that the soap dish at the side of the bath had a hair attached to it, with a couple more congregating around the baths plug hole. That said, it is clear to see that the hotel is beautiful both inside and out, I was very impressed with the red carpet at the front door! The only hotel amenity I used was the bar. Again the service was friendly and the drinks were reasonably priced. I would recommend the hotel to anyone despite the cleanliness issue with the bathroom and will be returning the next time I need to stay in Leeds.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2012

Dear Mark W

Congratulations on keeping dry! Delighted that on the whole you had an enjoyable stay with us at The Queens. I do however take on board your comments relating to the room, please let me assure you that this is certainly not our usual standard and will be discussing your comments with the housekeeping team. I would appreciate the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Warmest regards