“Disappointed and not its usual standard.”
Review of The Queens - Leeds

The Queens - Leeds
Ranked #11 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 26 May 2013 via mobile

So we booked in January after staying here on numerous occasions in the last 10 years. A group of ten for a special occasion we booked this back in January and paid the extra for the Q club. Check in took much longer than it needed too, we were checking in two rooms in the first instance and the rest were just behind. The lady couldn't seem to comprehend none of us had checked in already even though I kept saying none of us were here yet she kept saying one of our party had checked in. Breakfast was good and lots of choice, good service and rooms were spacious. Apparently they'd had an upgrade recently and the standard seemed better than average. We ordered room service at 2pm today and I'm writing this review on our last night at 12am and the tray is outside our door even after calling down to tell them. The Q club premium includes a lounge which is always stocked with a hot drinks machine and some cookies, fruits etc and some light snacks. Needless to say at 11pm when my group went into the lounge there is no sachets left for hot drinks, no water, fruit and every table is covered with empty glasses. I called down to reception and no answer so called room service and they answered to which a very polite lady answered and we explained the situation. A man then arrived to which he started clearing the tables, we then asked for the re stock of hot chocolate as we had then been waiting for 40 minutes. We then went down to reception as no one had answered the phone even though when we went down there and the lady was just standing behind reception even though we were calling them with the portable phone!!! We are still waiting and might be here all night at this rate. Will never be staying at this hotel again, the service has been beyond disappointing. We were told " someone has called in sick and I have been in since 2pm today" sorry but not interested.

2  Thank 8-HappyTraveller-8
There are newer reviews for The Queens - Leeds

Reviewed 26 May 2013

Stayed at the Queens Hotel Leeds from Friday 24th of May for two nights leaving Sunday 26th of May as the "father-of -the-bride" , on a stag weekend , shared a room with my son.

Beds were seriously comfortable, Staff were very friendly, helpful and provided a good service.

Exceptional value, the breakfasts were excellent. A good full English with all the other options and extras including tempting cakes and buns.

Highly recommended and although we went to the cricket at Headingly and our time was fully occupied there is so uch to see and do in Leeds

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2013

Dear StephenandJenny

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and for sharing your thoughts with the wider travelling community. I was delighted to read that you had a wonderful stay with us and hope you enjoyed the cricket.

Reviewed 26 May 2013

Stayed at the queens on the 18th may in a junior suite. Exterior of the hotel needs what looks to be a good clean up. Noticed What looked to be an unofficial smoking area at the side Of the front entrance but no ashtrays so floor was scattered with dimps everywhere afraid the room is not what I would have expected for a junior suite in a q hotel after staying in suites in there group before. And the hotel feels as though you step back a few decades when you walk in. We Arrived early and didn't expect room to be ready and bags where stored for when we come back from a trip round the shops. Returned around 5ish to be told bags in he room. They were not. However I can only say the service got better, after that every member of staff was outstanding in the customer service to the point where we cut short our night out in Leeds and returned to the hotel as it was a better environment than the bars in Leeds. Breakfast to he room was also hot and fresh and on time. One criticism I do have when we were checking out there was a member of the staff waiting at reception with a clipboard notifying everyone who was checking out what there bill was that was outstanding and being ushered to the awaiting receptionist. I felt as though i was not being trusted and they were expecting people to do a runner. I would stay again in the hotel but I'd probably look for another option first. Shame as I was expecting the midland and didn't get that at all.

Room Tip: Wouldn't go for a suite go for a medium priced room there wouldn't be a lot of difference in...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear lapat

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, I was sorry to read that you did not experience our exemplary service throughout the duration of your stay. I would like to assure you that this is by no means our usual standard of quality and service and would welcome the opportunity to restore your faith in our hotel.

Warm regards

Reviewed 26 May 2013

As ever it was an excellent stay in what is probably the best hotel in Leeds. We travelled by train, so it was perfectly situated and it will no doubt be just a matter of time before we return again !

Dear PCsW0rld

Thank you for once again choosing to stay with us at The queens, delighted you were able to use our excellent location to explore the city. I hope you enjoyed the cricket.

Reviewed 24 May 2013

I booked an afternoon tea as a birthday treat for my wife, a table was already prepared and reserved for us as in the bar area as we arrived. The trays consisted of four different finger sandwiches,with a mix of soft white and wholemeal bread, smoked salmon,cheese,egg mayo and ham.On the next layer was a fresh scone with jam and clotted cream, and the bottom layer had a chocolate fudge cake, a manchester tart and an almond slice. Really good, but not for weightwatchers. I had an 8 cup cafetiere of coffee and my wife had a tea pot, both of which we could have had topped up had we needed to... which we didn't. The room was nice to relax in, the service was good and the waitress was very pleasant. All in all good value for £14.95 each.
Watch out for the bill though as there's a discretionary 10% slapped on it, I know it's discretionary but you won't want to look a cheapskate if you ask for it removed!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Tigerman579

Delighted that you had the opportunity to sample our Yorkshire Afternoon Tea, a truly decadent treat and one I agree not for the calorie counter, although I am sure our dedicated chef’s would be able to offer healthier options for those who desire it.

Do visit us again soon

Reviewed 23 May 2013

I found peanuts on the room floor from a previous occupant; i was served burnt tagliatelle swimming in grease after ordering ravioli; the bedrooms above the bar have no sound proofing so it was noisy until 0100hrs; the air con in the room rattled and despite being switched off the night before, it sparked into life at 0600hrs waking me up; was offered a tea at breakfast and waited 15 mins before reminding them and 10 mins later I left for my meeting with still no tea.

Breakfast was good, staff were friendly and bed was comfortable which I suppose are the important things!

Dear Evierosesdad

Thank you for taking the time to post your constructive review. I am sorry that not everything went according to plan. I would like to assure you that this is by no means our usual standard of quality or service and would welcome the opportunity to restore your faith in our hotel.

Reviewed 22 May 2013

We went on a weekend to Leeds for our friends special 40th birthday. This hotel has great customer service. Nothing is too much for them. Rooms are clean. Good breakfast. Drinks are a little expensive in bar. Would visit again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Jill G

Thank you for your review, delighted that you had an enjoyable time and in turn would recommend us to others.