“Fabulous”
Review of The Queens - Leeds

The Queens - Leeds
Ranked #11 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Staff here were absolutely great, very helpful & knowledgable
Concierge very helpful, we arrived too early to book in so they took our cases & when we returned to check in they were in our room.
Room clean & spacious, bathroom spotless & decor throughout hotel gorgeous

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Dear Diddydee50

Lovely to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us and hope to see you again soon.

Warm regards

There are newer reviews for The Queens - Leeds

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Perfectly placed for shopping, we spent 2 nights at The Queens Hotel at the end of November. The hotel is clean and the staff are polite and friendly. The rooms are a bit on the small side and the bathroom in our was tiny. But considering the time we spent in the room, it was ample for our needs. Take advantage of the concierge parking service. This take the hassle out of parking and driving around the one way system. The bar area is a bit cold and uninviting, and drinks are expensive.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear percyneal60

Thank you for posting a review of your stay, I was pleased to read that on the whole you had an enjoyable stay and look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

I literally never write reviews on here but I had such a lovely time I think I should!

I stayed at the hotel for one night with my mum and 2 friends as a surprise for her 50th birthday. I found it was the staff that really made the stay special. When we arrived we were escorted by a manager, to the bar for complimentary cappuccinos whilst we waited for our room to be ready...it turns out we had been complimentarily upgraded to a superior twin room so we had to wait a little longer but it was no trouble.

The parking was valet and this was no trouble at all, we were taken down to the car park whenever we needed access to the car or they would bring it around.

Concierge was incredibly helpful would open all the doors, carry luggage, nothing was too much! I would definitely recommend telling the concierge (the one we dealt with was named dave) your plans as he can get you into most restaurants and bars and even has discount at some places!

When we got to our rooms, another member of staff (a younger guy named David) made sure everything was to our liking and even helped me surprise my mum with her two guests, before bringing up to our rooms 4 complimentary Cosmo cocktails.

Despite being busy, checkout was easy and we were able to leave the car and our bags until we were ready to leave later in the day.

We didn't try the food, so can't comment. At one point one of the lifts was broken but I suppose that was just one of those things that can't be helped, as long as it gets
fixed that's the main thing!

The room was very big and had a nice view of Leeds, everything was clean and the beds very comfy!

At the end of the day it was the friendly, helpful staff and the experience The Queens offered that made the stay so enjoyable not whether or not the lift was working! It seemed like nothing was too much trouble and there were plenty of things I could of sorted myself but staff were more than happy to do it.

Will definitely be returning as we got the room at an absolute steal and our stay really made the occasion memorable.

• Stayed: November 2013

Dear XLauren_lo

Thank you for choosing The Queens to help celebrate such a momentous birthday, delighted that you all enjoyed yourselves.

I will certainly pass on your thoughts to the team and in particular David as I am sure they will see them as a great source of motivation.

We very much look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

I spent three nights here over a weekend. The hotel itself is in a pretty convenient spot - right above the train station, easy walk to the shops and restaurants. I arrived by car - getting there was easy - parking not so much. They were out of room int eh valet park, I had to use the long term train station parking which was very pricey. If you don't need a car I would suggest skipping it and take the train instead.

This is what we would call in the US a "historic hotel". It has been updated - there were parts that looked old but were actually fairly modern. For instance the lifts on the outside look old and use the old style call buttons, but they are really modern lifts on the inside.

Rooms were decent size by English standards. The beds were a bit old and lumpy, although they were not stiff as a board at least. There was a chair to sit in and a desk to work at. No alarm clock, so make sure to bring one. Could have used an extra outlet or two.

Rooms weren't the quietest - mine was only a few doors down form the lift so I heard that going constantly. There is some street noise but it is not obtrusive. Plenty of lights, the bathroom was decent and clean, if a little stark.

This is not a London hotel, so the staff was quite friendly and even talkative. They were probably the best bit about this hotel. There are definitely worse options in the area, so I would definitely consider it again.

Room Tip: Try and get a room farther away from the lifts. Note that weekends get quite busy, so if you are on...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Dear Cloudboy

Thank you for taking the time to post your constructive review, we were very pleased to read that on the whole you had a very enjoyable stay with us and were able to use our excellent location for exploring the city and surrounding areas.

We look forward to having the opportunity to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

From the moment of arrival and despite a busy work schedule over two days, the staff were polite, informative and helpful. The room was really comfortable with ample space to relax at the end of a busy day. Food and Service was to a high standard and I look forward to returning for a future break with my wife.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Nigeldpaton

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay, I was very pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us despite your busy work schedule, I do hope you had some time to relax and enjoy your surroundings.

Looking forward to welcoming both you and your wife very soon

Warm regards

Reviewed 29 November 2013

Myself and my partner booked the Queens hotel for our anniversary weekend. Upon arrival I noticed straight away that staff were quite unfriendly. We were early and in a very rude manner that we would have to come back later. I was also shocked to find out that parking was charged at £17 per night and was concierge only so you could not park it yourself. We had to leave the car outside on a very busy street until they had somebody to park it. When we required our car back there was long waits. When checking out of the hotel on our last morning we had to wait HALF an hour for the car back and were rushing to the airport! And having to pay £17 for such service! When we did get the car I said it to the staff member that we were waiting half and hour and she was completely rude about it and did not care.

The room was ok, standard for the price we paid. Breakfast was not included and it was far too expensive so we went to a cafe in the area. We did visit the bar on one occasion, the seating area was dirty and the bar staff were slow and not at all polite. I was given my drink straight from the bottle and not even asked if I wanted a glass or ice! When I asked for it I was greeted again with a bad attitude which seems to run throughout the staff at this hotel.

Another feature of the hotel which was frustrating was the lift. We had to wait up to 20 minutes for it because it was so slow and one was broken down. More surprising was when I asked the cleaning staff where the stairs where they didn't know and I could not find signs! Not very safe either in the event of a fire!!!

There seems to be a lot of bad reviews here and if I had known this I never would have booked it. I would not return and recommend visitors to research other hotel options as the staff and costs here made the stay very unpleasant especially on our anniversary weekend.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dublin27bbc
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Pleasant attentive and well trained staff, lovely bedrooms, and well kept grandeur in function rooms. A great place to stay in Leeds, much more pleasant than similar grand old hotels in many other towns. Old world feeling but not stuffy or run down at all. There's also a secret exit onto the concourse of the railway station for a quick getaway in the morning. Definitely want to stay here the next time I'm in Leeds. Gosh two hundred characters is quite a lot. What else is there to say? It's errr, really nice and I recommend it.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Alastair M

Thank you for your lovely review, we're delighted that you had a very enjoyable stay with us and I will certainly pass on your thoughts to the team.

Do visit us again soon.