“Unbearably hot in December”
Review of The Queens - Leeds

The Queens - Leeds
Ranked #13 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 21 December 2013

First the good bits, this is an old style grand hotel with an Art Deco interior, the reception and concierge staff make you welcome.The location is very central and part of the railway station complex (with no noise whatsoever from the station). The free Wi-Fi worked well. I had a large room on the 7th floor with a separate sitting room. The décor was a little tired but the room represented good value for money and this is where the review slides into the major negative.
The room was way too hot, it was ok when I checked in, but by the time I had gone out for dinner and got ready for bed it must have been over 30C. There were signs on the secondary double glazed warning not open the windows. The air conditioning controls had no effect and so I spent a not very restful night sleeping on top of the bed. Breakfast was of a reasonable standard and the dining room way cooler than my bedroom. When I check out I handed in a maintenance feed back form I was told that the heat level for the particular group of bedrooms was set centrally. Mostly I stay in hotels for business trips and having had a lousy nights sleep at this hotel it will be a while before I risk the Queens Hotel in Leeds

Room Tip: My first tip might be to try another hotel but assuming that my experience was not typical I would...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Bill089
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear Bill089

Thank you for posting your comprehensive and constructive review of your stay. I was pleased that on the whol you had an enjoyable time with us however I must apologise for the frustrations caused with the A/C system in your room. Please be assured that every effort is being made to rectify the situation and look forward to having the opportunity of restoring your faith and welcoming you back to the hotel some time in the future.

Once again, many apologies

Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

Would highly recommend this beautiful hotel. Positioned in Leeds city centre a perfect base to explore the nightlife and shopping capital of the north.
Our room was clean and comfortable. All the staff in the hotel were professional and friendly.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Dear gibsonsheila

Thank you for posting your review and for recommending The Queens to the wider travelling community. I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

Happy New Year.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

Terrible service from night staff. They were incredibly rude when I asked for a toothbrush kit after I realised I had left mine at home. I am a frequent traveller and have stayed in different hotels throughout the world, I would not recommend this hotel to you. Stay in park plaza across the road - equally good location but much better staff and service!

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Asheee2014

Dear Asheee2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, I am sorry that you felt that the nights team were rude, I must say this is totally uncharacteristic of the team and have since investigated your comments.

I am sorry that you were unfortunate to leave your toothbrush at home and that the hotel was able to offer you a dental kit for a minimal charge.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

We booked an overnight stay here to enable us to attend the Andre Rieu concert at Leeds arena. We came in by train although we only live ten miles away; it turned out to be a great move, avoiding car parking issues, traffic jams etc. We got a nice quiet room on the front, overlooking City Square, but there were no traffic noise issues, as the room was well-soundproofed. The room looked as if it had been refurbished, the bathroom was in excellent condition, whilst the room had been maintained in a pleasant art-deco style. Helpful, friendly staff on reception and concierge desk, though we had to queue for a while to check in - more workstations & staff needed on reception. Some noise from Christmas parties in nearby rooms, but not a great problem.
All in all, good value for money, adjacent to station, near shops, and probably 20 - 40 minutes walk to Arena, depending on how many pubs you stop at on the way (of which there are plenty!)
Didn't try breakfast but am told it's very good value if you want something substantial first thing.
We would definitely return here.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank caslad

Dear caslad

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, I am pleased that we were able to offer you the perfect base for attending the First Direct Arena, it's a great venue isn't it and I heard nothing but rave reviews for Andre Rieu.

I hope you have the opportunity of visiting us again soon.

Reviewed 19 December 2013 via mobile

This was my 3rd visit to Queens. It's always nice to be treated so well by the staff. The rooms are really nice, I love the Art Deco theme which draws me in time again. Breakfast is the usual Hotel standard nothing special but the surroundings make it that bit nice. My only reason for the 4* not 5 was the £20 upgrade fee for moving from single to double room, even though I had advised it was my third visit (a little loyalty please), and the slightly lumpy bed. I will return ..

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Dear Phil N

Firstly, thank you for once again choosing to stay with us and delighted that once again you were happy with the service you received. We will of course endeavour to further enhance your stay on your next visit.

Have a lovely Christmas and New Year.

Reviewed 19 December 2013

Arrived and was greeted by a man who went and parked our car for us, check in was very friendly. We took our dog with us and the reception staff made a big fuss of her to the extent of wanting her for the queens mascot. Our room over looked the front of the big christmas tree outside of the hotel which was very nice. The room was a little bit small but fine for our needs, the hotel reception looked lovely and festive. On the Sunday we had a few drinks in the bar, the prices for the drinks were of a typical price for a hotel. Bar area was clean and had an nice feel to it.
On departure our car was brought to us, we would stay at the queens hotel again however we thought £30 was a bit steep for 2nights parking.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Victoria D

Thank you for your lovely review, you're right, we nearly did steal your dog for our mascot. I hope you'll visit us again soon.

Have a lovely Christmas and New Year

Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

Lovely reception staff. Clean and comfortable. Deserves it's rating. Good breakfast, I was a little disappointed with my evening meal. The food was beautifully cooked but there was only a tiny portion in a huge pasta plate. I don't usually eat much but the portion wasn't big enough for me!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2013

Dear HarveyNobum

I was very happy to read you enjoyed your stay, thank you for your constructive feedback with regard to your evening meal, I will forward your comments onto our chef.

I hope you have the opportunity to visit us again soon.

Warm regards