“Old world charm”
Review of The Queens - Leeds

The Queens - Leeds
Ranked #16 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Has real charm about this hotel. The place has quite a grand and old fashioned feel about it which I quite like as make a change to the bland rooms and places of today. The room I had was huge, althogh couldn't get either of the TVs to work. Breakfast was good and the overall service in the hotel was excellent. Be mindful that there are only 2 lifts so plan ahead for morning checkout!

1  Thank Jon E
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear Jon E

Thank you for taking the time to post your constructive review, I was delighted that on the whole you had a lovely stay with us but will certainly look into the issue raised regarding the television set.

I do hope you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back soon

Jacquie Hanson

Write a ReviewReviews (3,378)

Reviewed 24 December 2013

I usually stay in the Marriott but thought my parents would prefer Queens as it has a more traditional feel to it, especially the bar. They agreed and didn't really like the Marriott bar.
It was all good - the concierge and reception were v helpful - I printed off my boarding cards.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sunnydays332

Dear blobby33

Thank you for posting your review, I was very pleased to read that your parents thoroughly enjoyed their stay and will certainly pass on your kind words to the team.

I do hope they will visit us again soon.

Warmest regards

Reviewed 24 December 2013

You would not class this hotel as Modern but what it does have is a nice blend between old and new.
The decor in the main part of the hotel and bars is charming. The bedrooms are well furnished, large , clean with a modern feel .
But what you do get at this hotel is First Class service from the moment you arrive with the valet parking and excellent reception staff.
The food is very good and is again matched by the friendly and attentive staff.
I stayed here for four days on buisness and would recommend it to anyone staying on business or leisure as its right in the centre of Leeds

1  Thank NigelMedia

Dear NigelMedia

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and for sharing your thoughts and recommendations with the wider travelling community. I was very pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back some time in the future.

Reviewed 23 December 2013

had a 2 night stay in superior room, heating set at 18c was far to cold set the thermo but didn't get warmer reported and was told it would be fixed, it was fixed not even on 2nd day so a cold room. no wifi reported this again told it would be fixed, not fixed again, so no wifi. very draughty from secondary double glazing rattling all night, had to battle through dozens of smokers blocking the enhance to get in the hotel the amount of tabs on the floor was disgusting. breakfast was a shambles. had to queue like at a pizza hut for 15 mins before we got seated, we were told that because everyone came down late that morning there was a problem., the dining room was half empty yet we were not allowed to go to a table. then the beans ran out the eggs ran out, the hash browns ran out, asked for tea, was 20 mins still not come the waitress forgot us., very few staff in dining room., big queue still waiting to be seated after we got a table. an utter shambles.
we had a front room overlooking the square very noisy well into the early hours with traffic noise.
so all in all a pretty poor stay for my £200. at this price i expected better as this was our once a year visit.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tb1967T

Dear Tb1967T

I am so sorry that you had a very disappointing stay with us recently and at this stage can only offer you my sincere apologies and assurances that this is certainly not our usual standard of quality or service. I would like you to contact me personally when next staying in Leeds and I will certainly do what I can to further enhance your stay.

Reviewed 22 December 2013

just got home from my stay at the queens . Great hotel lovely helpful staff and wow what a bed queen size and the best ive ever slept in it was so cozy . The only negative thing was we had to vacate the room for about 45 mins when fire alarm went off and fire brigade came but all staff very helpful . Ive booked again already plenty to do in leeds its great place

Room Tip: room 536 great bed
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Dear anthony t

Thank you for posting your review, delighted that you had a very comfortable stay with us, apologies that you were disturbed slightly.

Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 22 December 2013

Lovely old fashion style and art deco decoration. Proper concierge and reception area with helpful people. The bedroom was good and quite quiet despite being city centre. The staff were very helpful. We had breakfast at the hotel (Gary Linaker was also having breakfast there!). Very central fro the shops, rail station etc. We got a superb deal on booking.com - 70 quid instead of 200 for the night.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear NickinCantal

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and Art Deco surroundings. Breakfasting with the stars too!

Do visit us again soon.

Reviewed 21 December 2013

First the good bits, this is an old style grand hotel with an Art Deco interior, the reception and concierge staff make you welcome.The location is very central and part of the railway station complex (with no noise whatsoever from the station). The free Wi-Fi worked well. I had a large room on the 7th floor with a separate sitting room. The décor was a little tired but the room represented good value for money and this is where the review slides into the major negative.
The room was way too hot, it was ok when I checked in, but by the time I had gone out for dinner and got ready for bed it must have been over 30C. There were signs on the secondary double glazed warning not open the windows. The air conditioning controls had no effect and so I spent a not very restful night sleeping on top of the bed. Breakfast was of a reasonable standard and the dining room way cooler than my bedroom. When I check out I handed in a maintenance feed back form I was told that the heat level for the particular group of bedrooms was set centrally. Mostly I stay in hotels for business trips and having had a lousy nights sleep at this hotel it will be a while before I risk the Queens Hotel in Leeds

Room Tip: My first tip might be to try another hotel but assuming that my experience was not typical I would...
1  Thank Bill089

Dear Bill089

Thank you for posting your comprehensive and constructive review of your stay. I was pleased that on the whol you had an enjoyable time with us however I must apologise for the frustrations caused with the A/C system in your room. Please be assured that every effort is being made to rectify the situation and look forward to having the opportunity of restoring your faith and welcoming you back to the hotel some time in the future.

Once again, many apologies