“Awful”
Review of The Queens - Leeds

The Queens - Leeds
Ranked #14 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Next to the lift shaft with my head right next to the lift going up and down all night. No air con that functions, stuffy room, felt like 90 degrees all night. Then turn on the (cheap) shower and no hot water. Will not be returning.

• Stayed: January 2014
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Dear graysie

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay, I was very sorry to learn that not everything went according to plan. I am confident had you spoken with any member of our team they would have done everything possible to alleviate any disappointment experience and rectified the issues raised.

I will certainly address the comments made and hope that this one off experience has not tainted your view of our hotel and that you will allow us the opportunity to restore your faith in our hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Jacquie Hanson

Write a ReviewReviews (3,351)

Reviewed 27 January 2014

We stayed at the Queens hotel for two nights in January 2014. The staff were very accommodating from when we first arrived with a chauffeur service on arrival. The building is great with lots of character . Thoroughly enjoyed our stay . Great central location .

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Natalie C
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Dear Natalie C

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at The Queens, I was thrilled to read that you had a wonderful stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel for a 2 day conference. Firstly I would like to say a big thank to all the staff and managers who helped in putting together a professional and superb conference for our delegates, they made us feel very welcome and could not do enough to make sure our event ran smoothly. The food was fabulous as was my room in QClub! I would definitely recommend The Queens Hotel for any event.

Dear Theshires

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and for sharing your thoughts with the wider travelling community. I was thoroughly delighted to hear that we exceeded expectations and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warmest regards

Reviewed 27 January 2014

I was on the 1st floor on a Saturday night and it was very noisy with people returning from pubs and clubs to get taxis and trains. The shower was good and in general the staff were friendly. The room was not very clean with hairs in the bathroom and the bedroom. Would definitely consider going elsewhere.

Room Tip: Don't get a 1st floor room or a room that faces the station

Dear James S

I was very sorry to learn that you had a disappointing stay wth us and that not everything went according to plan, I can at this late stage only apologise for the frustrations and disappointment caused.

I will certainly address your concerns with our executive chef and assure you that this is not our usual standard of quality or service. I am sorry too that you were disturbed by some of our city life, unfortunately as a city centre hotel we can on rare occasions experience noise levels. The hotel does have secondary glazing and the levels rarely disturb our guests however I can assess from your comments that secondary glazing failed to help on this occasion.

I do hope that you will give us an opportunity to restore your faith in our hotel and look forward to welcoming you back some time in the near future.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

We traveled to Leeds on the train and chose The Queens due to its ideal location at the railway station. I had previously checked the web site to find out the menu at the restaurant and read a fantastic review about the head chef and a varied comprehensive menu and based on this decided we would eat at the hotel on our first night. I was initially disappointed when booking a table that meals would be served in the bar and not the dining room, however accepted this. On arriving at the bar i was told this had changed and we were now in the restaurant. On arriving at the restaurant there were no staff in sight so my colleague went in search of somebody. The person who was eventually found, David, one of the management team dealt with the situation very well and the two staff who he allocated to the restaurant, Kelsie and Mollie are an asset to the hotel. Unfortunately the menu provide was not the menu on the web site, but a bar menu even though the restaurant menu is still displayed outside the restaurant doorway. We both ordered steak and this was cooked perfectly, however the chips were from a frozen packet. Not what i would expect when paying £22 for a main course. We were told the menu had been changed two months ago, but that maintenance had not removed the old menu from the doorway! We are due to stay at the hotel again next month, but will not be eating at the hotel.

Dear DJM1962

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, I was very pleased to read that on the whole you enjoyed your stay, in particular our excellent location which is perfect for exploring Leeds. I was sorry to read that you were disappointed with our restaurant and will certainly address your comments with our executive chef.

Please be assured that this is certainly not our usual standard of quality or service and hope that this one off experience has not tainted your view of our hotel.

I will however forward your very kind remarks to Kirsty, David and Molly and thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

I had stayed at The Queens in December 2013 for a work christmas party and was impressed enough with the hotel to return again just a month later to celebrate my birthday with a friend.

We were allocated a beautiful room on the "8th floor" which is the QClub floor and it is very well worth paying the little extra for as you get access to the QClub lounge where you can sit in comfort and be looked after by Melosi who kept our glass topped up with complimentary wine!

The management and staff are very professional and friendly and nothing is too much trouble. I needed the double bed in our room converting to two singles to accommodate me and my friend and it was done with no fuss (arranged via email with Kirsty who was a star)
On learning it was my birthday I was looked after really well and was made to feel special with a chilled bottle of wine in my room when I checked in and David, the Guest Services Assistant very kindly bought me a "birthday" cocktail in the bar later that day.

The Concierge also deserves a mention as he was so friendly and he even remembered me from my previous (brief) visit as I had been allocated the wrong luggage on check in and he made the trip to the luggage room to find my lost bag a memorable experience with his sense of humour!

The horrendous weather this past weekend hampered our plans to get out and see more of what Leeds has to offer but its all there on the doorstep of this beautiful hotel.
I would highly recommend and fully intend to return in the summer for our next "girls" weekend away.

Room Tip: On my two visits iv only ever stayed on the 8th floor and I couldnt recommend it enough. Pay the li...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Anne L

Dear Anne L

Firstly, thank you for choosing the hotel to help with your Christmas festivities, really delighted that you had a wonderful time.

I will certainly pass on your kind thoughts to the team, particularly Kirsty, Molly and David who I am sure will find them as a great source of motivation.

I'm only sorry we weren't able to make the weather a little more accommodating, if it's any consolation it's warming up a little.

I hope you have the opportunity to visit us again soon.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

Having spent a lot of time planning and preparing for this weekend, I was eager for all to go to plan. I WAS NOT DISAPPOINTED. The Queens Hotel, the staff and in particular the Guest Services Manager - Dave, and the Concerige service were out of this world. We were in Leeds to celebrate my daughetrs 9th Birthday, and all she wanted was to ''stay in a hotel'', as this had never been done before. We were greeted by friendly SMILING staff, who entered into convesation (so lacking in todays world), and genuine interest into what we were doing. My daugher received a birthday card on arrival, and later a gift hand delivered to our room. Throughout the weekend, the staff were engaging, accommodating and truely fantastic. The whole experience left our family with a really great memory of how customer service should be, and that people really do matter (guests and staff alike). Thank you so much to The Queens team.

Room Tip: We chose a Junoir suite as were were a family of four - perfect.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Hargreaves2014

Dear Hargreaves2014

Firstly, many thanks for choosing The Queens to help celebrate your daughter's birthday, I was very pleased to read that we exceeded your expectations. I will certainly pass on your kind thoughts to Dave who I am sure will see them as a great source of motivation.

I do hope you will be able to visit us again soon.

Warmest regards