“Great place to stay”

Ranked #10 of 86 Hotels in Leeds
norwich,uk
“Great place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

Did the usual trip advisor hotel check before pkanning trip.
The Queens looked suitanle next doir to station ideal for City centre
Had room 510 ideal very quiet god bed and very clean .
Staff extremely helpful
Breakfast was good and reasonable for price paid.
Would not hesitate in recommending Queens and will stay again .Thanks to Abbie on reception for the lovely welcome.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear salelad

I was so pleased to read that you had a wonderful stay with us recently and that you found our excellent location for exploring Leeds.

I do hope you have the opportunity of staying with us again soon.

Jacquie Hanson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (612)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Lancashire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

Stayed here with my husband for a landmark birthday. I had pre-booked a room on the top floor (Qclub) as a special treat and had ordered a bottle of champagne for the room as we checked in. I had actually booked this room and spoke with the service manager that day who assured us that the champagne would be in the room when we entered and would shortly after knock on the door and take us down to the bar for a free drink. But, alas as we entered the room there was nothing there. I was very disappointed as we had friends waiting for us in Leeds and we had postponed meeting them due to what the hotel had promised us. Eventually I told my husband that things had gone wrong and I went down and there was a young man talking to the concierge, I told him about what had happened and I could see that the penny had dropped. He had forgotten about the champagne. I knew it was him that I had spoke to on the phone when I had booked. That said, he did go out of his way and fulfil what I had arranged and organised a drink for us in the bar. What I would say that has changed about the Queens, is that the quality of the breakfast has drastically changed for the worst, In the Q lounge, the milk for cereal was warm and tasted sour, the continental selection was wilted and the meats looked off and inedible. The quality of the bread for toast was insultingly poor, there was no jam or marmite just a saucer of marmalade? and, they have even stopped serving fresh pots of tea and coffee. You were offered the use of a rubbish coffee machine of which you had to wait ages for it to make you half a cup of coffee and then stick your cup under again for a full cup. By the end you had a tepid frothy powdery vile undrinkable mess. In the restaurant, the breakfast choice was reduced, clap cold sausage and bacon, the kitchen staff kept piling freshly cooked food on top of old cooked food and that wasn't even warm. Completely lacked attention to detail regarding how the hot food was maintained.Loud and brash waitresses shouting in your ears. This is quite a mixed review and I feel the Queens should take note of their regulars' comments. The reception staff particularly Laura and the concierge as we checked in and during our stay were outstanding with their friendliness, efficiency and were happy and helpful, however the guy that checked us out was a miserable ignorant incompetent and needs to be taken off reception for further training.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank claian
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear claian

First and foremost thank you for taking the time to post your constructive review. I was sorry to read that not everything went according to plan, please be assured that this is certainly not our usual standard of quality or service and will be investigating your comments thoroughly with the relevant heads of department. I was pleased that once the error was realised it was quickly rectified. I will however pass on your kind comments to Laura as I am sure she will find them a great source of motivation.

Crewe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

Went to this hotel for 2 nights on business and what can I say location is right in the middle of Leeds centre and next to station the rooms were warm and beds very comfy the food was great and breakfast was superb I can't really say anything was bad and will be staying here again for definite

• Stayed March 2014
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear Andrewg10_12

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, I was very pleased to read that you had a thoroughly enjoyable stay with us and very much look forward to seeing you again soon.

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

WE called in for a drink in the bar and were pleasantly surprised by the grand interior and spacious seating area. The staff was pleasant and attentive. Unfortunately the experience was tainted by a sub standard pint of Black Sheep beer which I left half finished but elected not to make any fuss about as we were on a time limit.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear MontyPerth

Thank you for posting a review of your visit, I was sorry to learn that not everything went according to plan and would hope that this has not tainted your view of our hotel. We would welcome the opportunity to restore your faith and look forward to your next visit.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

Excellent location, directly outside of Leeds Station and on the square.

Was disappointed by the reach of the wifi - I was only on the 2nd floor and could only get it intermittently. Not good if needing to do work before going out.

Hotel was nice, rooms perfectly adequate and no better nor worse than expected.

Bar decor/layout reminded me of a Wetherspoons (not good) although I did not eat, so cannot judge the quality of the food.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Dear David D

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your stay. I was pleased to read that you found our excellent location suitable for your needs. I am sorry that you did not enjoy the Art Deco surroundings of the Queens Bar, I was a little surprised to read the comparison but will certainly take your comments on board.

I do hope you have the opportunity to stay with us again soon and look forward to welcoming you back some time in the future.

Poole
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

The hotel itself is fantastic, practically on top of the train station in the middle of Leeds, some great Art Deco features inside and out, but some genius decided to close the hotel restaurant?!

Instead of a relaxed 4 star dining experience I was horrified on check in to find that dinner was served in the bar area! I cannot fault the food at all, and the service was brilliant, but the environment wasn't suitable at all. I felt like I was eating in a sports bar instead of a hotel restaurant. I spoke with a manager who was apologetic and told me that they only open the restaurant for weekend guests: to me this means that they value their weekend guests more than their business guests.

If you stay here eat at some of Leeds many fantastic RESTAURANTS and not the hotel BAR.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank YetiBoy08
Dear YetiBoy08
Thank you for your constructive review, I was very sorry to read that not everything went according to plan. I was pleased to read however that you found our location perfect for exploring the city and that you found the hotel to be fantastic.

I was a little surprised to read your comments relating to our relaxed dining in the Queens Bar and assure you that we do not discriminate against any of our guests be that business or leisure. I will certainly pass on your kind comments to Chef and his brigade however as I am sure they will find them a great source of motivation.

I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back some time in the future.

London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

Booked in last minute. The room was freezing and air conditioning broken. No hot water. Noisy room overlooking square, despite asking for a quiet one. Complaint poorly dealt with in morning. We were told a manager would ring but did not. Would not recommend hotel. Complaint and customer care training might be useful.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Fifi35
Dear Fifi35

Firstly please accept my sincere apologies that you did not have the opportunity to discuss your complaint with a manager; this is certianly not our usual standard of customer service and will be investigated further. I was very sorry to hear that you did not have an enjoyable stay with us at The Queens; please be assured that your comments are taken very seriously and will be discussed with our onsite maintenance team to investigate further.

I do hope this once off experience has not tainted your view of the hotel and would hope we have the opportunity to restore your faith some time in the future.