“What they thought the 1930s was like in the 1980s”
Review of The Queens - Leeds

The Queens - Leeds
Ranked #11 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Ashbourne, United Kingdom
“What they thought the 1930s was like in the 1980s”
Reviewed 7 November 2010

My title is as close as I can get to describing the rather odd ambience this hotel has. It is well located, the staff were OK, the room was comfortable with a decent shower and no noise and yet there is just something about it that feels dated (in not a good way) and faded, certainly for the prices they charge. The worst thing was the food; we had two dinners there, both mass catered. One was so poor we left and went somewhere else, the other one was acceptable but instantly forgettable. It is not a nightmare and I did not have any problems as such, it is just I am sure there are better hotels in Leeds for the money... or less.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this review, 10 November 2010
Dear RuralRides

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Queens and I thank you in particular for the comments concerning the décor of the building, which I found particularly disappointing. Over the last 5 years, we have spent over £10million on The Queens, restoring this magnificent hotel to its’ former Art Deco decadence and have touched every facet of the building and can therefor assure you that we take the maintenance and upkeep of our hotel extremely seriously and will most definitely look into the issues you have raised.

On a more positive note, I am delighted that you found the room both comfortable and peaceful.

Yours sincerely

David Kanarens

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (632)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Midlands
Reviewed 7 November 2010

Positives:
The location next to the railway station was very convenient.
The concierge was very helpful and understood the important of good old fashioned service.
The rooms were very quiet at night from noise within the hotel and there was a hum of traffic noise but this was not excessive considering the city centre location.
The tea and coffee facilities in the room were good.
The orange juice at breakfast was delicious.

Negatives:
VERY expensive car parking costs.
On Sunday morning we had to queue for twenty minutes for breakfast.
The breakfast room seemed somewhat cramped for the size of the hotel.
The bar service was unfriendly: the Richard mentioned in other reviews clearly wasn’t on duty!
There was a limited and expensive bar menu.
The decor in our room was a tad tired and the net curtain had seen better days.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
Dear MidlandsMeerkats

Thank you for taking the time to write such concise and valuable feedback. I am obviously delighted to hear that you found the rooms extremely peaceful, something we strive to offer our guests, despite having such a fantastic city centre location. I am also very pleased to read that most of the team were able to offer you our famous Northern hospitality, however I am concerned regarding the service in the bar and will certainly be addressing that so thank you for highlighting those issues.

I was also very disappointed to read your comments regarding the standard of your bedroom as we are continually investing and take the upkeep of this magnificent hotel extremely seriously. You will be pleased to know that we are currently in the process of replacing our net curtains as although cleaned on a very regular basis, the particular choice in colour may suggest otherwise.

I hope that this hasn’t tainted your view of our hotel and very much look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Yours sincerely

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2010

What more can i say...we arrived and were treated like kings and by the end of the night we were laughing and joking with the barman like we were best freinds. I can not praise the hotel enough....i only hope another of my mates are getting married soon...then i'll have an excuse to return!!!

I big thank you to all your wonderful staff for making the weekend truly special (the bits i can remeber anyway!!).

• Stayed October 2010
Dear Jamzzee

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Queens, it’s a delight to read that you had such a fantastic stay and that you found our team more than welcoming, they are the true heart of this hotel, I will certainly pass on your kind thoughts to them.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back soon, please contact me personally and I will do everything I can to further enhance your stay.

Kind regards

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2010

Having previously stayed in the Queens I cannot recommend it enough, it is a fantastic location and has all of the ammenities I would ask for.

I now stay in Leeds one night a week for business, and it was only the price that stopped me booking the Queens for the 2 years I will be down here!

Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
Dear GordonBaird

Thank you again for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Queens, it’s nice to see that we are consistently getting it right.

We do offer a Breakaway Club membership which offers a range of benefits including money off vouchers and added extras for just a minimal one off fee for life. Please do get in touch if you would like more information on becoming a member queensreservations@qhotels.co.uk
We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel and hope that you become a most valued guest.

Warmest regards

Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2010

This year I have stayed in several hotels in Leeds including the Hilton and City Inn, neither of which compare to the Queens Hotel in the slightest. In my own opinion, the bedroom was spacious and great value for money, well equipped and thought out. The hotels location is amazing with it being situated next to the train station, making the commute less stressful, especially if you’re travelling with the little ones. Richard the barman was funny, friendly, and attentive this alone set the hotel apart from the others.
All in all, it was a fabulous couple of days. Thank you

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this review, 5 November 2010
Dear Matthew

Thank you so much for your fantastic feedback, it goes without saying that we're absolutely delighted that you had a great stay with us. Over the last 5 years we have spent over £10million on The Queens and have also recently invested a further £500,000 to create the QClub floor and private executive lounge on the top floor and are thrilled that you appreciated our efforts.

I will certainly pass on your thoughts to our team and in particular Richard. We are all extremely proud of our magnificent hotel, and the team are the true heart of its success.

Thank you again for your recommendations and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

Kind regards
London
Reviewed 28 October 2010

The Queens hotel is situated in the heart of the city - minutes walk around the corner from the main transport hub of Leeds train station. The Queens is an imposing building that exudes elegance from the moment you step into the main foyer. All public areas are well kept with an Art Deco theme - the kind that isn't in your face but subtle in areas and exact where it needs to be...

My stay started off with a speedy check-in together with helpful advice on where I could eat in or eat out at Leeds' many restaurants, drink at bars or just stroll along the pedestrianised shopping precincts.

The hotel room was quite spacious for a standard room - with a fresh looking newly renovated bathroom that had all the fixtures and fittings you'd need for a comfortable stay. My room over looked the main City Square outside the hotel - very quiet inside with the buzz of the city zooming by outside, great nights sleep!

I had a couple of hours to roam around the city before boarding a train back to London. Concierge offers to take your luggage off your hands and stow away until your return - leaving you to walk around the many shops and see interesting sights within walking distance without the 'dragging' of luggage.

I would recommend anyone to stay here, be it family, couples or solo travellers. I am looking forward to staying again soon.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
Lancs
Reviewed 27 October 2010

We stayed at The Queens for 2 nights. The location is great, right next to the train station and only a few minutes walk to restaurants, shops and bars. The room was fine, nice and clean but nothing special. The staff were very helpful in advising us on the best places to go in the area, and gave us a little map to help us on our way. We would probably stay here again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple