“Would not stay at this hotel again!!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Queens - Leeds

The Queens - Leeds
Ranked #10 of 86 Hotels in Leeds
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Would not stay at this hotel again!!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2010

The hotel was very handy for the station and most of the staff very helpful and friendly. However, the room (on the front, 2nd floor) was very noisy due to the traffic. We were woken on the first night at 2.30a.m. by a couple having a screaming row in the corridor - nice people!!! Breakfast on the Saturday was very nice but on the second morning we had to wait for over 20 minutes to be seated. One of the other guests in the queue complained and we were told that it was because everyone had gone to breakfast at the same time!!! The staff tried their best but were running round like headless chickens and we could not wait to leave,

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this review, 16 November 2010
Dear Sued51

Thank you for your constructive feedback, we do our utmost to ensure that our guests experience is a peaceful one, unfortunately our guest behaviour is completely out of our control; we do however do our utmost to see that our guests behave in accordance with what would be considered appropriate and considerate behaviour to other guests within the hotel. On a more positive note, I am delighted that you found the team both helpful and friendly and that you were able to enjoy our famous Yorkshire breakfast, however I do apologise for the delay in service.

David Kanarens

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (612)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
surrey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2010

I will start with the pros for this hotel; Great location & very good valet parking!
Now the not so good bits, I booked this hotel over the malmaison as it looked very nice and the reviews were very good, as this was our first weekend away in a long time it was very important it was a lovely modern hotel! However the first room we were allocated was very small and old looking also the noice from the traffic was far too loud, I asked to be changed room and was given another room at the back which was slightly bigger but still tired looking especially the bathroom! The hairdryer didnt work, the heating only comes on at certain times not when you use the controller in the room, I was unhappy and asked if I could get a refund and checkout but this was refused, we asked for an iron at 6pm and after ringing three times for it it turned up 1 min before we were going out! The menu wasnt very extensive so we didnt eat there.
To top it off someone knocked on our hotel room door at 6:30am a number of times and couldnt get back to sleep!
all in all I wouldnt go back and it wasnt the modern hotel I thought it was meant to be!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Farnhamsurrey

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and I am sorry that there were a few niggles whilst you were here. Over the last 5 years we have spent over £10million bringing this fabulous Art Deco hotel to its former grandeur and am therefore disappointed to read that you found some of the bedrooms to be tired. We take the maintenance and upkeep extremely seriously and will of course be investigating the points you raised. On a more positive note, I am obviously delighted that you found the location of the hotel more than suitable

I do hope that this experience hasn’t tainted your view of the hotel and very much look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2010

my friend and i stayed for 2 nights.the room was lovely.meals were amazing.staff were all very friendly and welcoming. we will definatly be back.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
Ashbourne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2010

My title is as close as I can get to describing the rather odd ambience this hotel has. It is well located, the staff were OK, the room was comfortable with a decent shower and no noise and yet there is just something about it that feels dated (in not a good way) and faded, certainly for the prices they charge. The worst thing was the food; we had two dinners there, both mass catered. One was so poor we left and went somewhere else, the other one was acceptable but instantly forgettable. It is not a nightmare and I did not have any problems as such, it is just I am sure there are better hotels in Leeds for the money... or less.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this review, 10 November 2010
Dear RuralRides

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Queens and I thank you in particular for the comments concerning the décor of the building, which I found particularly disappointing. Over the last 5 years, we have spent over £10million on The Queens, restoring this magnificent hotel to its’ former Art Deco decadence and have touched every facet of the building and can therefor assure you that we take the maintenance and upkeep of our hotel extremely seriously and will most definitely look into the issues you have raised.

On a more positive note, I am delighted that you found the room both comfortable and peaceful.

Yours sincerely

Midlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2010

Positives:
The location next to the railway station was very convenient.
The concierge was very helpful and understood the important of good old fashioned service.
The rooms were very quiet at night from noise within the hotel and there was a hum of traffic noise but this was not excessive considering the city centre location.
The tea and coffee facilities in the room were good.
The orange juice at breakfast was delicious.

Negatives:
VERY expensive car parking costs.
On Sunday morning we had to queue for twenty minutes for breakfast.
The breakfast room seemed somewhat cramped for the size of the hotel.
The bar service was unfriendly: the Richard mentioned in other reviews clearly wasn’t on duty!
There was a limited and expensive bar menu.
The decor in our room was a tad tired and the net curtain had seen better days.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
Dear MidlandsMeerkats

Thank you for taking the time to write such concise and valuable feedback. I am obviously delighted to hear that you found the rooms extremely peaceful, something we strive to offer our guests, despite having such a fantastic city centre location. I am also very pleased to read that most of the team were able to offer you our famous Northern hospitality, however I am concerned regarding the service in the bar and will certainly be addressing that so thank you for highlighting those issues.

I was also very disappointed to read your comments regarding the standard of your bedroom as we are continually investing and take the upkeep of this magnificent hotel extremely seriously. You will be pleased to know that we are currently in the process of replacing our net curtains as although cleaned on a very regular basis, the particular choice in colour may suggest otherwise.

I hope that this hasn’t tainted your view of our hotel and very much look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Yours sincerely

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2010

What more can i say...we arrived and were treated like kings and by the end of the night we were laughing and joking with the barman like we were best freinds. I can not praise the hotel enough....i only hope another of my mates are getting married soon...then i'll have an excuse to return!!!

I big thank you to all your wonderful staff for making the weekend truly special (the bits i can remeber anyway!!).

• Stayed October 2010
Dear Jamzzee

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Queens, it’s a delight to read that you had such a fantastic stay and that you found our team more than welcoming, they are the true heart of this hotel, I will certainly pass on your kind thoughts to them.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back soon, please contact me personally and I will do everything I can to further enhance your stay.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2010

Having previously stayed in the Queens I cannot recommend it enough, it is a fantastic location and has all of the ammenities I would ask for.

I now stay in Leeds one night a week for business, and it was only the price that stopped me booking the Queens for the 2 years I will be down here!

Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
Dear GordonBaird

Thank you again for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Queens, it’s nice to see that we are consistently getting it right.

We do offer a Breakaway Club membership which offers a range of benefits including money off vouchers and added extras for just a minimal one off fee for life. Please do get in touch if you would like more information on becoming a member queensreservations@qhotels.co.uk
We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel and hope that you become a most valued guest.

Warmest regards