“One of the best hotels I've stayed in”
Review of The Queens - Leeds

The Queens - Leeds
Ranked #13 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 29 November 2010

The staff here were fantastic, from the front desk to the cleaners and restaurant service: friendly, helpful, cheerful and professional throughout. I had a single room and it was extremely comfortable and quiet, a far cry from the poky room you sometimes find in big hotels. The rate was very competitive, the location central, and the breakfast was just great. There's a very good atmosphere about the place - welcoming with a city centre buzz and a strong sense of history, but calm and comfortable with it. An unexpected treat!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 22 November 2010

The art deco is lovely, as are the staff. In fact the staff make this hotel. The room was large and clean but very dark with all the dark colours and 'subtle' lighting. As with many hotels you can't put make up on in the bedroom. The location was very good, easy access to station and shops. I loved the corridors and attention to detail on the doors. The bar is disappointing, dreary, drab and the toilets off the bar are awful (decor not cleanliness). Food was ok but breakfast was not kept hot enough. The most annoying thing was all the door slamming. i don't know if it was other residents or if we were next to a room that staff accessed but the doors were banging until late at night and started very early in the morning, came home very tired.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2010

Dear L38

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the team, you’re right in recognising that they are the true heart of the hotel as is the wonderful period décor throughout. I am sorry that things didn’t go to plan during breakfast, this is a definite one-off as our breakfast is infamous for its quality. I do hope that this hasn’t tainted your view of our magnificent hotel would very much like to welcome you back to The Queens in the near future.

Reviewed 16 November 2010

I had booked a romantic break for my fiance and myself, and had made that clear when booking through Late Rooms. The room allocated to us was next to the lift, but having been told that it would not operate after 8pm, we thought that would not be a problem. It was obvious that our room was normally for single occupancy, as one side of the bed was only accessible by a super sllm person, and there was only one set of towels in the bathroom. No alternative room was available when requested, so we tried to make the best of things. It was only when the filthy state of the room became apparent that the housekeeping manager stepped in, and miraculously managed to arrange a transfer to a more suitable room. On a more positive note, the concierge service was excellent. Parking charges are prohibitive, so we would think twice about going by car in the future.We booked dinner in the hotel on the Sunday and were very disappointed with the service and attitude of the staff in the bar where our food was served. Over all, what was meant to be a special weekend, proved to be mediocre in terms of our accommodation.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2010

Dear sugarlump_10

Thank you for posting your comments about your recent stay at The Queens and I am very sorry that it didn’t go exactly as you planned. We have a policy to turn off the lifts at 9.30pm so I will investigate why this didn’t happen during your stay and I apologise sincerely.

I was particularly concerned regarding the standard of your bedroom as we have invested a great deal over the last 5 years to ensure that the hotel has been refurbished to its former Art Deco glory and will obviously be looking into the comments raised as the upkeep and maintenance of the hotel is taken extremely seriously.

On a more positive note I am delighted that we were able to accommodate you in an alternative room and that you found our concierge team offered excellent service.

Once again, thank you for your comments and we hope that when you’re next in the city of Leeds that you consider coming back to stay with us.

Reviewed 14 November 2010

The hotel was very handy for the station and most of the staff very helpful and friendly. However, the room (on the front, 2nd floor) was very noisy due to the traffic. We were woken on the first night at 2.30a.m. by a couple having a screaming row in the corridor - nice people!!! Breakfast on the Saturday was very nice but on the second morning we had to wait for over 20 minutes to be seated. One of the other guests in the queue complained and we were told that it was because everyone had gone to breakfast at the same time!!! The staff tried their best but were running round like headless chickens and we could not wait to leave,

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2010

Dear Sued51

Thank you for your constructive feedback, we do our utmost to ensure that our guests experience is a peaceful one, unfortunately our guest behaviour is completely out of our control; we do however do our utmost to see that our guests behave in accordance with what would be considered appropriate and considerate behaviour to other guests within the hotel. On a more positive note, I am delighted that you found the team both helpful and friendly and that you were able to enjoy our famous Yorkshire breakfast, however I do apologise for the delay in service.

Kind regards

Reviewed 12 November 2010

I will start with the pros for this hotel; Great location & very good valet parking!
Now the not so good bits, I booked this hotel over the malmaison as it looked very nice and the reviews were very good, as this was our first weekend away in a long time it was very important it was a lovely modern hotel! However the first room we were allocated was very small and old looking also the noice from the traffic was far too loud, I asked to be changed room and was given another room at the back which was slightly bigger but still tired looking especially the bathroom! The hairdryer didnt work, the heating only comes on at certain times not when you use the controller in the room, I was unhappy and asked if I could get a refund and checkout but this was refused, we asked for an iron at 6pm and after ringing three times for it it turned up 1 min before we were going out! The menu wasnt very extensive so we didnt eat there.
To top it off someone knocked on our hotel room door at 6:30am a number of times and couldnt get back to sleep!
all in all I wouldnt go back and it wasnt the modern hotel I thought it was meant to be!

Dear Farnhamsurrey

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and I am sorry that there were a few niggles whilst you were here. Over the last 5 years we have spent over £10million bringing this fabulous Art Deco hotel to its former grandeur and am therefore disappointed to read that you found some of the bedrooms to be tired. We take the maintenance and upkeep extremely seriously and will of course be investigating the points you raised. On a more positive note, I am obviously delighted that you found the location of the hotel more than suitable

I do hope that this experience hasn’t tainted your view of the hotel and very much look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed 9 November 2010

my friend and i stayed for 2 nights.the room was lovely.meals were amazing.staff were all very friendly and welcoming. we will definatly be back.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 November 2010

My title is as close as I can get to describing the rather odd ambience this hotel has. It is well located, the staff were OK, the room was comfortable with a decent shower and no noise and yet there is just something about it that feels dated (in not a good way) and faded, certainly for the prices they charge. The worst thing was the food; we had two dinners there, both mass catered. One was so poor we left and went somewhere else, the other one was acceptable but instantly forgettable. It is not a nightmare and I did not have any problems as such, it is just I am sure there are better hotels in Leeds for the money... or less.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2010

Dear RuralRides

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Queens and I thank you in particular for the comments concerning the décor of the building, which I found particularly disappointing. Over the last 5 years, we have spent over £10million on The Queens, restoring this magnificent hotel to its’ former Art Deco decadence and have touched every facet of the building and can therefor assure you that we take the maintenance and upkeep of our hotel extremely seriously and will most definitely look into the issues you have raised.

On a more positive note, I am delighted that you found the room both comfortable and peaceful.