“Absolutely excellent- beautiful room and excellent service”
Review of The Queens - Leeds

The Queens - Leeds
Ranked #11 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
carlisle
“Absolutely excellent- beautiful room and excellent service”
Reviewed 6 December 2010

Stayed at this hotel earlier in the year and was disappointed - However this time I stayed in a q type room which could not be faulted -absolutely lovely with a beautiful bathroom. The q rooms allow access to the lounge where complimentary drinks and snacks are served- totally relaxing. Early evening wine and beer are served and we were made to feel very welcome by the young guy serving us. We had continental breakfast in the lounge as well and once again the guy serving us could not be faulted. I forgot my handbag and he brought it to my room for me- he also deserves a pat on the back . I normally stay at the City Inn ,but next time I am in Leeds I will definitely stay at the Queens on the top floor. Definitely felt 5 star!

• Stayed December 2010
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this review, 16 December 2010
Dear Laulaucarlisle

I am absolutely delighted that we were able to make amends for your previous stay and thrilled that you had an enjoyable stay with us on the QClub floor; it’s a treat isn’t it! I speak on behalf of myself and the team when I say thank you very much for your comments and it goes without saying that I will pass on your kind words to the team.

I do hope that you return to The Queens and when you do, please contact me personally and remind me that you scored us so highly and I will do what I can to further enhance your stay.

Warm regards

David Kanarens

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (640)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Weybridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 December 2010

Very friendly and attentive staff in this well-run hotel ideally placed in the centre next to Leeds station

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2010

Stayed as I was stranded in Leeds due to the eather, my husband was able to join me on the second day/
As I had nothing with me, th housekeeper was kind and actually went to Boots to get deodorant etc for me.
Food, room service and congeierge brillant.
As we stay in Q hotels on a regular we were not surprised at the excellent service.
On booking I was told the rate included cont.breakfast only to be then told on paying that only applied if you had breakfast in the Q lounge! Had to pay for breakfasts.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this review, 6 December 2010
Dear Spernak

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review of our hotel, I am sorry that the weather left you stranded, however it sounded like it had its benefits! Thank you for your kind words about Maureen, I will certainly pass on your comments to her. I do hope you return to The Queens and when you do, please contact me personally and remind me that you scored us highly and I will do what I can to further enhance your visit.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 November 2010

The hotel is in a brilliant location and seemed very nice upon first arrival. Unfortunately, poor service spoilt everything about this hotel. We arrived 3 hours after the check-in time of 2pm, only to be told by quite a rude receptionist that the room wasn't yet available. Once this was sorted out, we met in the bar to start the night with the free champagne which had been promised as part of a package deal for a hen party. The bar staff seemed to know nothing about this and although this was finally resolved after 30 minutes, the hen was already upset by the very poor treatment by the staff meaning a bad start to the evening. Even free drinks aside, the bar staff were exceptionally slow. The room and beds were comfortable and clean, but unfortunately breakfast was another slow and frustrating experience. Obviously Sunday mornings will be busy, but I would suggest either extending the dining area so people don't have to wait for so long, or at least employ some staff who do not seem to be so put out at having to meet and greet guests in the morning. Would not recommend this hotel and would have serioud doubts about staying at a Q hotel venue again.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
Dear CazzaB16
Thank you for posting your comments about your recent stay at The Queens and I am very sorry that it didn’t go exactly as you planned. The free champagne voucher which you are entitled to is to be used in Chilli Whites along with your VIP free entry to the venue and private reserved table. I can only apologise sincerely if this was not made clear to you and can fully understand that this would put a dampener on proceedings. On a more positive note, I am happy that you found your bedrooms to be more than accommodating and that the location to be ideal for a city centre break.
Once again, thank you for your comments and feedback and we hope that this experience hasn’t tainted your view of us and that when you’re next in Leeds you will consider coming back to stay with us.

Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2010

The staff here were fantastic, from the front desk to the cleaners and restaurant service: friendly, helpful, cheerful and professional throughout. I had a single room and it was extremely comfortable and quiet, a far cry from the poky room you sometimes find in big hotels. The rate was very competitive, the location central, and the breakfast was just great. There's a very good atmosphere about the place - welcoming with a city centre buzz and a strong sense of history, but calm and comfortable with it. An unexpected treat!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
manchester, uk
Reviewed 22 November 2010

The art deco is lovely, as are the staff. In fact the staff make this hotel. The room was large and clean but very dark with all the dark colours and 'subtle' lighting. As with many hotels you can't put make up on in the bedroom. The location was very good, easy access to station and shops. I loved the corridors and attention to detail on the doors. The bar is disappointing, dreary, drab and the toilets off the bar are awful (decor not cleanliness). Food was ok but breakfast was not kept hot enough. The most annoying thing was all the door slamming. i don't know if it was other residents or if we were next to a room that staff accessed but the doors were banging until late at night and started very early in the morning, came home very tired.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this review, 3 December 2010
Dear L38

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the team, you’re right in recognising that they are the true heart of the hotel as is the wonderful period décor throughout. I am sorry that things didn’t go to plan during breakfast, this is a definite one-off as our breakfast is infamous for its quality. I do hope that this hasn’t tainted your view of our magnificent hotel would very much like to welcome you back to The Queens in the near future.

Manchester UK
Reviewed 16 November 2010

I had booked a romantic break for my fiance and myself, and had made that clear when booking through Late Rooms. The room allocated to us was next to the lift, but having been told that it would not operate after 8pm, we thought that would not be a problem. It was obvious that our room was normally for single occupancy, as one side of the bed was only accessible by a super sllm person, and there was only one set of towels in the bathroom. No alternative room was available when requested, so we tried to make the best of things. It was only when the filthy state of the room became apparent that the housekeeping manager stepped in, and miraculously managed to arrange a transfer to a more suitable room. On a more positive note, the concierge service was excellent. Parking charges are prohibitive, so we would think twice about going by car in the future.We booked dinner in the hotel on the Sunday and were very disappointed with the service and attitude of the staff in the bar where our food was served. Over all, what was meant to be a special weekend, proved to be mediocre in terms of our accommodation.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
The_Queens_Leeds, General Manager at The Queens - Leeds, responded to this review, 19 November 2010
Dear sugarlump_10

Thank you for posting your comments about your recent stay at The Queens and I am very sorry that it didn’t go exactly as you planned. We have a policy to turn off the lifts at 9.30pm so I will investigate why this didn’t happen during your stay and I apologise sincerely.

I was particularly concerned regarding the standard of your bedroom as we have invested a great deal over the last 5 years to ensure that the hotel has been refurbished to its former Art Deco glory and will obviously be looking into the comments raised as the upkeep and maintenance of the hotel is taken extremely seriously.

On a more positive note I am delighted that we were able to accommodate you in an alternative room and that you found our concierge team offered excellent service.

Once again, thank you for your comments and we hope that when you’re next in the city of Leeds that you consider coming back to stay with us.