“Everything was cold, plain, and horrid”
Review of Palace Chine - CLOSED

Palace Chine
Price range: US$8 - US$17
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Buffet
Description: The place is in Cardigan Field Leisure Complex, Next door to the Virgin Active.
Reviewed 26 February 2014

After recently moving to the area, we thought we would try this buffet. It was empty, so first thoughts was, maybe its not hit busy time yet. The food was stone cold, very little was on offer and staff barely spoke, so to say they was rude was an understatement. I personally thing dog food looks more edible than this monstrosity. And the morning after, my stomach is still icky. This place did not warrant £9.95 per person. I will not be returning, do not go here!!!

Reviewed 10 February 2014

If you visit the leisure park and ae not sure where to eat DO NOT chose this Palace Chine ! Decided on this place because all the other restaurants on the complex were full and had people queuing ! Oh how we wished we had joined one of those queues because in the end we paid a heavy price and im not talking in monetary terms ! On entering i wasnt quite sure if we was entering a restaurant or a cold meat storage facility as through the 2nd set of doors were those plastic strips what keeps the cold in , that should have been enough to make us turn around and head straight back out but we decided to carry on as we were rather peckish. Once inside we were seated at a table right next to the window which incidently was next to the opening with the plastic strips and when the front door opened the cold air whirled around us (needless to say the plastic strips didnt keep the cold out ). Anyhow when sat down i noticed i was a little close to the table and occupants sat behind me so i decided to move our table forward....thats when the table top of the plastic table decided to lift up in my hands oops ...and just as a double act my chair decided to do the same when i tried to "hitch" forward. Cheap tables chairs etc to say the least. Ok when all seating and tables were positioned correctly and without the need to glue them back together we looked around for any reslembence of a menu etc (ok we know it was a self service buffet but normally the said menus inform you of whats on offer etc) to no avail no menus to be seen apart from the drinks menu. The food in a short was not the most appetising , the ribs were pretty fatty and chewy and overall everything was of a standard you can get at the locals supermarkets on those £1 per pack deals ! As others have posted the ambiance and atmosphere was non existant ....it was one of those places we compared to the likes of a greasy spoon cafe. Not the cleanest either with plenty of dust knocking about on the mass of wires that were hanging next to the window etc . Final comments would be that we luckily will not eat here again .

Reviewed 19 December 2013

I have not been to this restaurant for a couple of years. Unfortunately it has deteriorated even further than when I was last there. I went for lunch with my dad and daughter. We wanted something different with the run up to Christmas. Initially we thought it was closed as there appeared to be no other customers but there were 5 people at the far end of the restaurant as it was cold at the front where the buffet is!!!
The food was warm not hot. The choice was average for a lunch time buffet One concern my daughter is a vegetarian and the serving tongs were mixed with the meat tongs. The cutlery was mismatched.
The toilets were grubby, the sink had not been cleaned for some time.
The staff were friendly and service was average but I will well over another 2 years before I would return.

1  Thank juliepooleleeds
Reviewed 6 December 2013

This was possibly the worst Chinese buffet that I've been to in my life, ever!!!

The banner hung above the buffet bar is thick with dust, so much you could probably knit a jumper.

The chicken and sweet corn soup was bland, tasteless and probably only ever only saw chicken through the window in the kitchen!!

Starters were cold!

Thick cobwebs everywhere

Uncomfortable LOW chairs

And bland cold tasteless mains!

You had to dig for ice cream and it may have been so much better with a jigger pick!!!

How on earth a place like this is allowed to carry on at cardigan fields...

Hygiene practices, structure and safety procedures must be very poor to have scored a BIG Fat Zero on the food standards agency's ratings website. I did wonder where the sticker was!!!

For me I will always check the rating in the future... Roll on making them compulsory to display- like In Wales!

1  Thank Natalie A
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Called in with my wife, both of us fancying a Chinese meal by way of a change and having had good meals here previously. Sadly found things to have deteriorated dramatically, poor quality service, (first course dirty plates left on table) food tepid, no atmosphere, no other customers and to put the icing on the cake so to speak, despite having Visa/MasterCard signs on the door did not take cards. Had to go find nearest ATM near Bowling Alley to withdraw cash, charged £1.50 for the priveledge of withdrawing my own money. This was deducted from my bill, not an experience we will go through again.