“Excellent Sunday lunch”

The Beehive
Ranked #435 of 1,828 Restaurants in Leeds
Price range: US$13 - US$32
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Beehive bar and restaurant is nestled in the picturesque village of Thorner just outside Leeds city centre and provides an outstanding dining experience in a relaxed environment away from the hustle and bustle of the city. Our menus provide something for everyone to enjoy whether it's a casual dining experience, a business lunch, a quick catch-up or a celebration with family and friends. Join us at the bar or relax in the lounge area to unwind with your choice from our extensive variety of beers, ales, spirits and fine wines. Open from noon seven days a week, we offer a la carte dining as well as a lunchtime menu, daily specials and bar snacks. We also serve a superb traditional Sunday lunch from noon right through to 8pm every Sunday. Alfresco dining is available for those who choose to dine in one of the The Beehive's stunning beer gardens.
“Excellent Sunday lunch”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Really good food and good value- friendly service and good wine.We really enjoyed our meal.Thank you.

• Visited November 2013

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not the very best but very good”
Reviewed 13 November 2013

As a treat for my 70th birthday I took my 15 year old grand daughter for dinner to the Beehive. I have been on quite a few occasions before but this was the first time under new management. We were not disappointed. I ordered salmon and my grand-daughter, who is a vegetarian, ordered the tagine, for once NO veg lasagne, we both had a sweet and these were just as good. The atmosphere was warm, cosy and relaxed the service was friendly and efficient. We had a thoroughly enjoyable time and I am hoping to book for Christmas dinner although I understand they are fully booked.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Ann A
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Actually better than average- 3.5 stars.”
Reviewed 25 October 2013

The Beehive changed hands a while ago, and this is the second time we have eaten here since the changeover. Before that, we had only eaten there once.

We arrived early and as such, we were the only customers. We didn't mind this as it is quite small and cosy inside and it also meant there would not be order queues for the chefs!

I had a lovely starter of chicken scotch egg, and my husband had the terrine (ham hock). They were nicely presented and we both enjoyed them. Mine was nicely washed down with a medium glass of Pinot Grigio and my husband opted for a diet coke as he was driving.

The main course was a slight let down, but maybe this is due to personal preferences? For example: My husband ordered the chicken/ vegetable pie. Great that it is home made, but for him the gravy inside was far too watery, hence not binding the chicken or vegetables together. He also felt that there was not enough chicken in the pie itself. The pastry tasted nice….I had a little taste of this myself and the chips were home made chunky chips. It also came with a good portion of green beans/mange-tout. I ordered the rump of lamb. The lamb came pink but for me, it was very fatty. The generous portion of baked butternut squash and vine cherry tomatoes were very nice, but I would have preferred another vegetable option as the dish also came with crushed potatoes. Far too many carbs on one plate for my liking. Again, personal preference. The mushroom wine gravy on my dish was also very tasty. Both dishes were hot on arrival which is always a bonus. The service was good as we were the only ones dining, so we would have not expected any less.

For dessert my husband ordered banoffee cheesecake, which he personally found 'too sweet'. Being a hot pudding fan I opted for the sticky toffee sponge with ice-cream, (sadly they do not offer custard). The sponge was divine, but the whole dish was swimming with toffee sauce. It was almost like a bowl of toffee soup! This spoilt the dish as the sweetness of all this sauce overwhelmed the sponge flavour. Again, somebody else may love their sticky toffee this way, but for me and my husband….a definite no no!

Price wise the food was reasonable. I found the herbal tea expensive for a small cup, but overall the bill came to just over £60.

We will probably visit again in the future as it is local to us. Definitely worth a try if you have not visited.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Amethyst_Angel72
“Lovely food”
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Went to the beehive a few weeks back and we thoroughly enjoyed the experience. We went for a Sunday lunch and it was worth every penny. The staff and service was excellent, along with the food.

• Visited September 2013
Leeds
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Food very disappointing. Ordered black pudding and chorizo starter, tasted terrible. Although pies are supposed to be a speciality the filling for the chicken pie was very watery. Coffee cold didn't taste good. Although the outside has been revamped the inside needs sharpening up and that I am afraid includes the waitresses who looked unkempt ,although tried to be helpful they could do with some training. This place has really gone downhill since the new owners have taken over. Needless to say won't be going back.

• Visited October 2013