“Riverside West - lovely apartment”

The Chambers Riverside West
Ranked #9 of 33 Speciality Lodging in Leeds
Reviewed 7 March 2012

I stayed at Riverside West on business for 3 nights last week. I usually stay at The Chambers in Park Place when I visit Leeds, but on this occasion they were fully booked. Having experienced the lovely accommodation and the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff at The Chambers, I would not now stay anywhere else when I am in Leeds, so rather than book into a hotel, I opted for Riverside West and I was not disappointed. Joanne gave me all the information I needed to be able to access the apartment without any problems, and even arranged for my bag to be taken over to the apartment from Park Place for me! She told me verbally - and there was a note to this effect in the apartment - that should I need anything, or if I had any problems, I need only phone over to Park Place and they would sort it out (not that I neede to do this).The apartment was lovely, and in keeping with the usual high standards of Park Place. I was in a 2 bedroom apartment which had balconies at the bedrooms and the livingroom, looking out over the river - lovely to stand out there in the evening (even in February) with a glass of wine! The apartment was beautifully furnished and absolutely clean, and the kitchen was well stocked with everything I would need for my stay. I slept in the main bedroom (with en-suite shower room). The bed was fantastic - nice firm mattress and cool cotton sheets. I had a great sleep every night (which is more than I can say for myself even when I am at home!). It IS a bit further out of town than Park Place, and I can't say that I enjoyed the walk there after work much - but only because it is a bit boring, with not much to look at (I didn't feel unsafe at all). The upside was that the walk into work in the mornings along the riverbank was very enjoyable. Given what I have said about it being a bit further out of town (and me being a woman on my own) Christine, the owner even came round to the flat on my first night to see if I was ok and that I had everything I needed!!. Where else would you get care and attention like that??? My visit to Riverside West was everything I expected, given the fantastic team that is The Chambers.

Room Tip: I was in Apartment 56 - lovely view of the river. A bit of noise from the railway in the morning, b...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
6  Thank Maureen42

Reviewed 20 February 2012

This was a miserable experience. Its a real shame as I wanted to like this place and we had high hopes for further visits.

We stayed here for one night in the middle of February 2012 with our two young sons. When we came into the apartment it was like a sauna. All the heaters had been left on full, probably overnight. It was so uncomfortable. Despite turning them off at 5.00pm, it was boiling hot all night.

The bed was probably the worse thing about the whole stay. It was so uncomfortable, I could feel every spring in my back. It wasn't a king sized bed either, just a Queen and it was really too small for two people - particularly if you are quite tall like we are. The mattress felt cheap.

The second bathroom had broken and chipped grout on the floor tiles. My 4 year old son got some grout stuck in his toes when he got up to the toilet in the middle of the night. The shower head was too high for the screen provided and water went all over the floor - probably why the grout had failed.

The carpet in the master bedroom was dirty and stained - both my boys had black feet from the carpet. The sofa cushions under the seats in the lounge area were covered in crumbs and hair from previous occupants. Clearly no-one has shown this apartment any care or concern for a while. In the email sent to us we were advised that a 'lovely' apartment had been reserved for us. If this is a lovely apartment, I would hate to see a terrible one. The whole experience was just so depressing and awful we couldn't wait to get out of there. From the glowing previous reviews on Trip Advisor I wondered if we had stayed in a different place!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
14  Thank MooMoo2007
morethanjustabed, Owner at The Chambers Riverside West, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2012

Dear Guest,

We were terribly upset to read your review and sorry that you felt your stay did not match up to expectations.

We always put the heating on in the apartments before a guest arrives in winter, and I am sorry that you found it too warm. Each apartment’s heating can be controlled individually, and windows and balcony doors can all be opened. We also have fans available – and although these haven’t been requested in February before – next time please just give us a call and we will bring one up to you.

As stated on our website, bedrooms at Riverside West have either standard double or kingsize beds. None of the beds are queen size. Every apartment is different, so if you have a preference for a larger bed, let us know when booking so we can reserve the most suitable apartment. We pride ourselves on our comfortable beds and many guests comment on how well they have slept on our mattresses.

I am sorry that you felt the cleaning was not up to our usual high standards. We take care of all of our apartments and have asked the housekeepers to take extra care to check every crevice on our sofas. Whilst the bedroom carpet was by no means ‘dirty’, following your review we saw that there was a small stain on our cream carpet. This has since been removed by professional carpet cleaners. The bathroom floor has been re-grouted as part of an extensive programme of continued maintenance, so thank you for drawing our attention to this.

The shower head is of a standard height to accommodate tall people like yourselves and we have found no evidence of a leak relating to this.

We are sorry that you had a negative experience and also that you felt the need to leave a such a bad review. Had you spoken to us during your stay rather than leaving us a note on your departure, we could have endeavoured to resolve your issues. We are there for our clients 24 hours a day. We contacted you immediately to discuss the issues you encountered and we believed we had offered you an agreeable and generous solution.

We are proud of our number 1 spot on TripAdvisor and endeavour to ensure every guest is happy, as our other reviews show. We therefore recommend that should any issues arise, guests contact us during their stay so that we can resolve them straight away.

Kind regards,

Christine and The Chambers Team

Reviewed 12 December 2011

We've used the Riverside West apartments on a few occasions this year and I really can't think why anyone would use a hotel, especially if there's more than one of you! Everything is first-rate, the booking process, the reception, the apartment and the facilities in general. The wi-fi is super-fast and so easy to use unlike many hotels, and the little touches like breakfast in the fridge make it very easy to stay there. I can't recommend the The Chambers Riverside West highly enough. The service from the reservation staff is faultless, they just can't sem to do enough for you. Why waste your money at a faceless hotel, these people really care about what they do.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
8  Thank Robert D
Reviewed 31 October 2011

I stayed at The Chambers Riverside West this weekend with 7 friends (in two apartments) and I honestly can't fault our experience. The staff were brilliant every time I spoke to them, really friendly and helpful. There aren't many places that provide this level of service so it was an absolute pleasure to deal with them from start to finish.

The apartments were spacious, stylish and clean and the welcome pack of milk, eggs, butter, bread, tea, coffee, sugar etc. was a really nice touch. The kitchen was very well equipped and the beds were really comfy. The complex was also very secure, with access codes required for the perimeter gate and apartment block entrance as well as secure underground parking.

All in all a great stay and I wouldn't want to stay anywhere else in Leeds.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank A_Discerning_Guest
Reviewed 20 June 2011

I stayed at Riverside West apartments for 2 nights with a couple of friends, our readers group outing. Even before we arrived I was incredibly impressed with the helpful staff whenever I phoned, nothing was too much trouble.

When we arrived we were delighted with the apartment, the layout, the facilities and the cleanliness. There was even a welcome pack in the fridge - eggs, milk, butter, jams, bread etc, as well as full complement of tea, sugar and coffee. Very impressive, it was perfect.

During our stay we phoned through to the reception staff, who were not on site, a couple of times for help with local information and they really couldn't have been more helpful and charming.

Altogether a fantastic spot for our weekend in Leeds, especially when we returned like drowned rats from the Yorkshire Sculpture Park to a warm, comfortable apartment to have hot baths and a replenishing glass of wine before off out for the evening.

Thanks to Christine and all the staff.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
6  Thank MagsHitchin
Reviewed 28 May 2011

We live abroad and have recently married in the UK. This required lots of trips back and forth. We have always stayed at The Chambers and we could not ask for a better place. The staff are amazing and really want to make you feel at home. Its more than good service, its a genuine concern for your comfort and well being. We have had lots of our family and friends use The Chambers and not one of them can praise Christine and her team enough.

We wouldn't stay anywhere else in Leeds and have no hesitation in recommending The Chambers to anyone who has a short or long stay in Leeds.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank DandJGMakati
Reviewed 22 May 2011

great place to stay, very helpful staff could not of asked more from them or the apartments ideal for what we were in Leeds for

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business