“Brilliant alternative to a hotel”

The Chambers Riverside West
Ranked #7 of 32 Speciality Lodging in Leeds
Reviewed 5 May 2012

My wife and I stayed at The Chambers Riverside West twice when visiting family in Leeds, just for a weekend each time. I wanted to wait for the second visit before posting a review because the experience was so good I didn't quite believe it the first time around!

If you've grown tired of so-called four star hotels offering bland rooms, extortionate parking fees, a mediocre breakfast, and the feeling of being on a production-line, then please do give The Chambers a try. What they offer is quite the opposite.

Like other reviewers we felt the staff could not do enough for us. It's a refreshing change to get to know the first names of the team looking after booking and managing the accommodation. We've stayed twice without meeting any of them in person, but it doesn't matter. We're grown-ups, so once armed with access codes for the gates (sent via email in advance) we found the apartment easily. On arrival all the keys were in the apartment, along with enough food for a hearty breakfast in the morning (eggs, beans, bread, butter, milk, juice, jam, tea, etc).

At any time we could have called and the on-site superintendent would have come to help, or someone would have popped over from the other Chambers site in Leeds city centre (which is staffed 24/7 I believe).

Inside the apartment, furnishings are modern and stylish. Plenty of space to chill out in the lounge (two double settees). The kitchen had everything we could want, including dishwasher and washer/dryer and all pots/pans/crockery/etc. The bathroom had a good shower and bath, and the bed was comfy.

The cost compares favourably with up-market hotels in the city centre (once parking and breakfast are included). However the apartment is like having a full suite in a hotel - except that it's so nice to be able to come and go at any time, not be bothered by bustling staff, the noise of stag-do revellers, a wedding being held downstairs, dodgy air conditioning, etc.

The Chambers is a real home from home, and not only has this place converted us to the idea of using serviced apartments whenever we travel, we definitely plan on staying at Riverside West each time we visit Leeds.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Oliver G

Reviewed 19 April 2012

I've lived in amny short term appartment but this is the best i've ever seen. the service and prepration is wenderfull and people are very kind. Myself and family loved the place.

THanks

Room Tip: i put the swimming pool and fitness center as average because i did not try that service
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Mohammed A
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I stayed at the Chambers Friday evening for a night out with friends in Leeds. I had been recommended by a friend to stay at the Chambers and may I say I was not disappointed. The staff couldn't do enough for us and the apartment itself was clean, contemporary and had goodies in the fridge for our arrival. The view from our balcony was amazing and with the added benefit for on site parking so close the Leeds City Centre it offered everything you need for your visit to Leeds, whether it be with your friends or visiting with your family - it has it all. I will definitely stay again and wouldn't hesitate to recommend The Chambers.

Thank you for a very pleasant experience !

Room Tip: We were fortunate to have the Penthouse but we had a sneak preview of the other rooms and they are a...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank 40Liz40
Reviewed 22 March 2012

We made a booking at Riverside West for one night for in February 2012 and a further 3 nights in April 2012

After our stay in February we cancelled the April booking.

The apartment did not live up to the expressed and implied expectations.

The check in process involved us having to walk into the apartment, which had been left unlocked and unattended for nearly 24 hours with the keys left on the kitchen worktop. We never saw a member of staff during our whole stay. It wasn't as if we had arrived out of hours but it was around 2pm in the afternoon.

They provided 2 key fobs, one for the main gate and one for the underground car park. Neither were labelled and both had numerous buttons. There were no instructions as to which button operated which gate and we had to just press buttons at random and hope for the best when entering or leaving.

The 2 bedroom apartment had not been cleaned very well. The master bedroom carpet was stained and filthy. The grouting in the main bathroom was dirty and crumbling away. In some areas there was no grouting at all.

My 4 year old son dropped a toy car down the side of the sofa and when I removed the cushions to retrieve it, it was absolutely filthy underneath with hairs, dust and other debris. Clearly the cushions had not been removed to be vacuumed for months.

The heating had been left on full in the apartment with some of the windows left wide open. It was boiling hot inside and took hours to cool down even after turning the heating off.

The bed in the master bedroom was the smallest and most uncomfortable double bed I have ever slept in. I have subsequently learned that they apparently have some apartments with kingsize beds but we were never offered this option.

The location of the apartment block is not particularly good. They are described as "city centre apartments" but are located some considerable walk from the city centre. It is over 10 minutes walk to the city centre.

The back of the apartment overlooked the river but it was dull and dismal. There was large area of derelict waste ground. You wouldn't want to be walking in the local vicinity at night as the general feel was creepy and unsafe. Despite this their website recommended going for a "jog along the riverbank". Do so at your peril!

The television did not have Sky, as described, but had only the standard freeview channels which include a handful of the basic Sky channels.

This is certainly not 4-star accommodation.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank High_Expectations_UK
Reviewed 16 March 2012

I stayed at Riverside West for over a year after initially signing up for a month having sold my home and whilst searching for my next one.

The fridge was stocked with goodies for my arrival and all the keys, fobs and remote controls for heating etc were explained to me. It felt like living in a swanky hotel with all the home comforts I had been used to in my own home. The beds were extremely comfortable and the bed linen pristine and top notch.

The cleaners were great and the apartment was always spotless after they had left, lightbulbs were changed immediately after contacting the team and windows were cleaned and upgrades made on an ongoing basis.

I did not see staff regularly but this was actually what I wanted as they were only a phonecall away but were not around so much as to make it feel like it was not my home.

It is very convenient for the city centre, I walked along the canal everday to work and it took around 6 minutes to stroll into the centre. Very convenient for sampling the nighlife!

I was sorry to leave the apartments when I found my new home and look back without a single negative thought surrounding my stay. I was proud to call it home and would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: My room had a balcony overlooking the river and canal - a lovely view and peaceful
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
9  Thank Jane S
Reviewed 7 March 2012

I stayed at Riverside West on business for 3 nights last week. I usually stay at The Chambers in Park Place when I visit Leeds, but on this occasion they were fully booked. Having experienced the lovely accommodation and the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff at The Chambers, I would not now stay anywhere else when I am in Leeds, so rather than book into a hotel, I opted for Riverside West and I was not disappointed. Joanne gave me all the information I needed to be able to access the apartment without any problems, and even arranged for my bag to be taken over to the apartment from Park Place for me! She told me verbally - and there was a note to this effect in the apartment - that should I need anything, or if I had any problems, I need only phone over to Park Place and they would sort it out (not that I neede to do this).The apartment was lovely, and in keeping with the usual high standards of Park Place. I was in a 2 bedroom apartment which had balconies at the bedrooms and the livingroom, looking out over the river - lovely to stand out there in the evening (even in February) with a glass of wine! The apartment was beautifully furnished and absolutely clean, and the kitchen was well stocked with everything I would need for my stay. I slept in the main bedroom (with en-suite shower room). The bed was fantastic - nice firm mattress and cool cotton sheets. I had a great sleep every night (which is more than I can say for myself even when I am at home!). It IS a bit further out of town than Park Place, and I can't say that I enjoyed the walk there after work much - but only because it is a bit boring, with not much to look at (I didn't feel unsafe at all). The upside was that the walk into work in the mornings along the riverbank was very enjoyable. Given what I have said about it being a bit further out of town (and me being a woman on my own) Christine, the owner even came round to the flat on my first night to see if I was ok and that I had everything I needed!!. Where else would you get care and attention like that??? My visit to Riverside West was everything I expected, given the fantastic team that is The Chambers.

Room Tip: I was in Apartment 56 - lovely view of the river. A bit of noise from the railway in the morning, b...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
6  Thank Maureen42
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This was a miserable experience. Its a real shame as I wanted to like this place and we had high hopes for further visits.

We stayed here for one night in the middle of February 2012 with our two young sons. When we came into the apartment it was like a sauna. All the heaters had been left on full, probably overnight. It was so uncomfortable. Despite turning them off at 5.00pm, it was boiling hot all night.

The bed was probably the worse thing about the whole stay. It was so uncomfortable, I could feel every spring in my back. It wasn't a king sized bed either, just a Queen and it was really too small for two people - particularly if you are quite tall like we are. The mattress felt cheap.

The second bathroom had broken and chipped grout on the floor tiles. My 4 year old son got some grout stuck in his toes when he got up to the toilet in the middle of the night. The shower head was too high for the screen provided and water went all over the floor - probably why the grout had failed.

The carpet in the master bedroom was dirty and stained - both my boys had black feet from the carpet. The sofa cushions under the seats in the lounge area were covered in crumbs and hair from previous occupants. Clearly no-one has shown this apartment any care or concern for a while. In the email sent to us we were advised that a 'lovely' apartment had been reserved for us. If this is a lovely apartment, I would hate to see a terrible one. The whole experience was just so depressing and awful we couldn't wait to get out of there. From the glowing previous reviews on Trip Advisor I wondered if we had stayed in a different place!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
14  Thank MooMoo2007
morethanjustabed, Owner at The Chambers Riverside West, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2012

Dear Guest,

We were terribly upset to read your review and sorry that you felt your stay did not match up to expectations.

We always put the heating on in the apartments before a guest arrives in winter, and I am sorry that you found it too warm. Each apartment’s heating can be controlled individually, and windows and balcony doors can all be opened. We also have fans available – and although these haven’t been requested in February before – next time please just give us a call and we will bring one up to you.

As stated on our website, bedrooms at Riverside West have either standard double or kingsize beds. None of the beds are queen size. Every apartment is different, so if you have a preference for a larger bed, let us know when booking so we can reserve the most suitable apartment. We pride ourselves on our comfortable beds and many guests comment on how well they have slept on our mattresses.

I am sorry that you felt the cleaning was not up to our usual high standards. We take care of all of our apartments and have asked the housekeepers to take extra care to check every crevice on our sofas. Whilst the bedroom carpet was by no means ‘dirty’, following your review we saw that there was a small stain on our cream carpet. This has since been removed by professional carpet cleaners. The bathroom floor has been re-grouted as part of an extensive programme of continued maintenance, so thank you for drawing our attention to this.

The shower head is of a standard height to accommodate tall people like yourselves and we have found no evidence of a leak relating to this.

We are sorry that you had a negative experience and also that you felt the need to leave a such a bad review. Had you spoken to us during your stay rather than leaving us a note on your departure, we could have endeavoured to resolve your issues. We are there for our clients 24 hours a day. We contacted you immediately to discuss the issues you encountered and we believed we had offered you an agreeable and generous solution.

We are proud of our number 1 spot on TripAdvisor and endeavour to ensure every guest is happy, as our other reviews show. We therefore recommend that should any issues arise, guests contact us during their stay so that we can resolve them straight away.

Kind regards,