“Needs to do better”
Review of Quebecs

Quebecs
Ranked #6 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 10 August 2012

First of all the hotel is very handy if you are coming into Leeds by train. It is no more than a minute from the station. Check in was easy with no issues and very polite staff. The hotel itself is very characterful with many quaint and impressive features like the large stain glass window and sweeping staircase.
Rooms are well equipped and certainly not bog standard. Breakfast was first rate and the setting gives a nice view out over parts of the city. Well that's the positive side.
Several things let the hotel down.
First was the general condition of the room I stayed in (room 107).The decor was, at best, shabby. Paintwork was scuffed and marked very badly, most of the furniture was chipped or scratched, the bath panel was I'll fitting, tiling in the bathroom was cracked with some grouting missing or blackened.
The beds, though comfortable, were let down by lifeless pillows. All of which was pointless due to the excessive road noise. Sounded like the local residents used the road as some sort of F1 street circuit, a northern Monaco. Even though I used ear plugs this was not sufficient to deaden the noise.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
8  Thank Avalon2012
Write a ReviewReviews (1,140)

Reviewed 7 August 2012

Firsts impressions of Quebecs was great - really close to the train station and City centre and the entrance (lit up at night with candles) is lovely, as is the sweeping staircase behind reception with stained glass windows. We had requested two quiet rooms and found ourselves on the top floor. We were very disappointed - room 502 was pokey with a tiny window and a low slanting ceiling, so room felt cramped. The bathroom was lovely with fluffy towels and nice products. Room 503 was the opposite with bigger window and more space in the room but lost some space in the bathroom.

I did ask if we could be moved to a bigger room and we were offered another Club room on the second floor. Given we were travelling as a four we decided to stay put. Beds and pillows were very soft - I liked this but my partner didn't. The hotel is on a fairly busy road so we found we still heard some traffic noise.

Another niggle is that there was only two plug sockets that we could use, both were in the corner by the desk. This made it very diffcult to iron - especially for two tall people!

Apart from that the service was fantastic and everyone was extremely helpful before and during our stay. Breakfast was huge and delicious. I would recommend staying again, but on a lower floor.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MissW123
Reviewed 6 August 2012

I stayed here for the weekend with friends whilst watching the England v South Africa test match at Headingley, what a great Hotel. We booked 3 room for two nights and 1 for one night and where delighted to find on arrival that we had all been upgraded. The rooms are well equipped and decorated and presented to a high standard my only small criticism is the in room air conditioning, which non of the party could understand or set up properly. Simple in room instructions are required as the fan can be quite fierce and in my case impossible to shut off! That said not a major issue and more than made up for by the overall quality of the hotel (and its easy to open a window). . All in all a quality, good value, well presented city centre hotel in a stylish building, I will have no hesitation in staying there again, ok you will almost certainly have to park in a public car park but there are several nearby and the cost in not outrageous, on a par with Manchester or any other City. A word about the reception staff, the ones on duty on Friday evening , Saturday & Sunday morning deserve a big thank you, polite, very helpful and they smiled!…a rare event these days, great front of house staff who are a real asset to the hotel, well done!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Martinw034
Reviewed 5 August 2012

We went here for a mid week mini-break and we were not disappointed. We were able to park the car in the hotel carpark and it stayed there until we left as the hotel was perfectly placed for everything (city centre and train station).
We were booked in an hour early and we had a room just off the reception. We had no problems with noise and the room was very clean, well decorated and nice and cool (due to the air conditioning). The bed was so comfortable and the shower was lovely.
The food was excellent on both days but we preferred the breakfast on the first day (when the conservatory restaurant was quieter) as the food was better (eggs were cooked perfectly).
The amount of breakfast on offer was just right too.
The service we received from the reception staff was very helpful and they were very friendly but stayed professional. We would not only stay here again but recommended to anyone who wants a lovely independent hotel in a great location.

Room Tip: We stayed in the club room (the smaller of the rooms available and found it to be a lovely size for...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Donna158
Reviewed 5 August 2012

This was our 3rd stay at the Quebecs in Leeds and yet again we haven't been disappointed. The hotel isn't the cheapest in town but if you want to treat yourself then this is the place to stay. It's right in the city centre, 1 minute walk from the train station and a 3 minute walk from the shops. The building is beautiful and the decor inside is traditional and elegant. The rooms don't disappoint either. We always stayed in a deluxe room and they are nicely decorated with classic English traditional style without looking dated which I personally prefer over modern decor. Some people on Tripadvisor have complained that the furniture is a bit run down and I guess to some extent it can be true but I think it just fits with the old English theme and gives its charm to the room.
The beds are pure bliss! Very comfortable with a mattress topper that makes you feel like you sleep on a cloud. The only downside I thought was the air conditioning which is not working extremely well so it's hard to get the room to the ideal temperature. I hope the hotel will change that in the future. Also it's a quiet hotel inside but you can have a bit of road noise from the street, which I personally don’t mind. We haven't tried the breakfast so I can't comment about the food. There's an honesty bar on the 1st floor where you simply serve yourself and write down what you drink which is quite original. The service is on average good to very good. For my birthday my husband asked the hotel to have a bouquet put in our room before our arrival. When we arrived, a beautiful bouquet was waiting there. You can also arrange to have rose petals on the bed, chocolates, champagne… This hotel is a perfect setting for a romantic getaway! And we will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: I would avoid the cheapest rooms if you can as some are next to the elevator or the reception and ca...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ti_boo34
Reviewed 28 July 2012

I've always wanted to stay at Quebecs, and we booked it last Friday (very last minute) as a pay day treat (we live in Leeds!). I booked an executive room.

Check in was friendly and efficient - it does have the feel of an individual boutique hotel rather than a chain, and on entering the room we were very pleased - very spacious and we felt as though we got what we paid for. The bed was very comfortable and we had a very lazy Saturday morning which was just what the doctor ordered. We took full advantage of the lovely bathroom and toiletries, bathrobes and slippers.

Our room was street facing, but we weren't disturbed by noise (probably helped by us keeping the aircon on all night to drown out the noise).

We didn't have breakfast - I thought that it was expensive - but just typical hotel prices.

I would definitely stay at Quebecs again for a treat, and would recommend the extra £20 or so to upgrade rooms. The location is perfect, very central Leeds but away from all of the bars so no disturbance from noisy people at 4am!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2012

Stayed one night on a business trip - very close to train station which was ideal - reception professional and courteous - room was excellent - didn't eat here so no comment - boutique feel to this place which gives it a great ambiance

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business