“Comfort and quiet”

Ranked #8 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
London, England, United Kingdom
“Comfort and quiet”
Reviewed 17 January 2013

My boyfriend and I were in Leeds in November for a friend's birthday. We decided to make a weekend of it and chose Quebecs. I'm glad we did. I am quite fussy and often disappointed with my experience in hotels, but I couldn't really fault this place. The location was great, the room extremely quiet, clean and well appointed, and the bed wonderfully comfortable--all the makings of the perfect hotel in my view! Service was also very pleasant and attentive. Although they have a study/honesty bar, a bit more of a social space is the only thing that's lacking for me and which would give them an "Excellent" rating. Having said that, we may not have found the place so peaceful in this case. We will definitely go back.

Room Tip: We were at the front but on a high floor and couldn't really hear the traffic at all.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Erika L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
London
Reviewed 13 January 2013

I stayed here with my partner in January '13 as a result of looking at the reviews on Trip Advisor. We stayed on a Friday and Saturday night in an 'Executive Room' and paid £90 /night without breakfast.

The hotel is in a great location and has plenty of character, clearly benefitting from the local style of architecture. It makes a refreshing change from sterile city centre chain hotels.

Our room was large with a huge soft bed, sitting area, desk and bathroom with twin sinks, bath etc. Fittings are comfortably old fashioned and in the style of the hotel. The room was nice and I was pleasantly surprised when we arrived.

Heating is supplied by the air conditioner and being January we did need to use this. This system was pretty noisy during the night but we couldn't really have done without it. Lighting is controlled by a dimmer system for different moods. Unfortunately this seemed to be malfunctioning as the lights decided to switch themselves off randomly and also switch themselves on at 4 AM, waking us both up.

The room did look a bit tired and there were some maintenance issues. The bottom of the bathroom door was rotten, presumably from steam damage and the ceiling was badly stained. The windows are single glazed and several of these were rotten as well -see photographs.

On the Saturday we left the hotel at 9.00 and returned at 3.00. On arrival in reception we were asked by the receptionist if we were already staying at the hotel and what room we were in.. and whether or not we were planning on staying in the room for long.. it turns out it hadn't been serviced. We were planning on staying in for a few hours before dinner so spent an hour sitting in the bar waiting for staff to do the room. This wasn't exactly a hardship but for £90 a night I don't think it is unreasonable for the room to be cleaned before 3.00. Whilst we were waiting another three couples joined us in the bar who were also waiting for their rooms to be finished as well.

During the wait I heard the receptionist talk to two men who had come in from the street asking what the building was. They asked if they could have a look around and then they started to wander around the hotel. They were intercepted by someone who I assume was the manager as they walked towards the bedrooms and were ushered out. The staff then had a bit on awkward discussion in earshot of the waiting guests about not letting strangers wander round the hotel..

Overall it was a nice stay with a few niggles. The 4-star rating is deserved, but to me the difference between 4 stars and 5 should not be because of poorly maintained rooms or slow service. If these things were ironed out I would happily stay again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
John W, Manager at Quebecs, responded to this review, 23 January 2013
Dear BP83,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor and for you kind comments, it was great to read that you were pleasantly surprised upon your arrival.

I was of course concerned to read of the maintenance issues with your bedroom, I will be inspecting these with my Property Manager immediately, this is an area we regard with importance and have an ongoing redecorating program.

I do hope for the opportunity to welcome you back in the future, please contact me directly so I may personally oversee your stay.

Regards

John Weatherhead
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2013

Stayed twice. Gladstone suite (very big) and Chorley and Condon suite (not quite as big, 2 floors with a mezzanine and a spiral staircase) Smack in the city centre, good noise insulation though. No bar (loyalty type one) or restaraunt, but room service and breakfast (not used either). Limited/no parking but parking options all around in 5 minute radius. Bit different from the slightly more blatent Malmaison types hotels in Leeds

Room Tip: Suites are excellent (haggle)
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2013

Great service - didnt book a parking space but was given one at the side of the hotel as thought they had one. Really friendly staff.
The room was clean and to a high standard. Nice bathroom and decor - traditional english hotel style. No really atmosphere in the hotel though - quite and older people which suited me as I wanted a good nights sleep. Would recommend and would consider returning.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Hull
Reviewed 3 January 2013

We stayed here the week before christmas just for a relaxing break and is our 4th stay of the year. The first time in February we actually got engaged in one of the rooms so the hotel holds loads of memories for us. Once again we were treated to a first class, beautiful room and, as usual, excellent service from all the staff. We took advantage of the honesty bar were you are trusted to serve yourself, a real novelty. I am pretty sure we will continue our adventures to Quebecs for years to come.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SamanJoe
Seaham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 January 2013

I stayed at the Quebecs for new year with my girlfriend. We paid £135 for the night and it was well worth it. The interior is fantastic and the honesty bar was a great little touch. The hotel is 2 mins walk from restaurants and shops making this the perfect hotel for a short break.

Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Midlands
Reviewed 1 January 2013

A beautiful building right in the centre of Leeds. We arrived in terrible weather and walked up the grand opening stairs which were lit by candles. The sweeping stairs came off reception. The welcome at the desk was warm and professional.Our suite was outstanding a clever mix of sophisticated pleasures and gentlemans club.

We had a brilliant break shopping, going to the armories, restaurants and the cinema all of which were within walking distance. When we got back the hotel was so warm and comfortable.

Our only comments were to do with parking. We couldn't park in the hotel car park as there are only 7 spaces. We therefore had to keep thinking about parking and moving the car.

Our room was split level with a very steep and shiny spiral staircase. This made it very difficult to carry up a case.The wonderful bathroom was downstairs which was difficult in the dark. The split level was great fun for us but beware if you do have mobility difficulties.

The room had a coffee machine, shoe cleaning service and i-pod dock included along with bottled water. At this price and level of service it was a shame that breakfast was not included and was very pricy.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple