“Expensive for what you get”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Quebecs

Quebecs
Ranked #8 of 86 Hotels in Leeds
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Expensive for what you get”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

We needed a room for one night, Sun 24th Nov as we were attending an Andrea Bocelli concert at the Leeds arena in November. I like to find hotels that are a bit different/independent and this sounded as if it should fit the bill. As a treat for my partner's birthday, I decided it was worth the more expensive price tag than we would normally pay for just one night.

I fully appreciate that this is a hotel in a busy city centre. However, the complicated one way system in Leeds meant that to park in the designated car park recommended by the hotel was a pain! We were ok as we only had one small overnight bag, but if you had more luggage it would be awkward. Drop off is dicey as the hotel is on a very busy road and navigating hotel to car park and back was a little stressful! We walked with our case to the car park next morning rather than negotiate the one way system again!

The hotel is a little tired around the edges on some places and certainly in the room we had. Room 101 (a deluxe room) was large and had a very comfy bed, with a large bathroom, lovely toiletries and a great shower over the bath (although the mirrored glass wall over the bath has seen better days and gilt wearing off the plughole surround etc). Good tea and coffee making facilities. Unfortunately the toilet was not properly clean when we arrived in our room (faeces in the bowl), the TV remote wouldn't work and neither would the room telephone. However, all these things were remedied with great courtesy and apologies, immediately I mentioned it.

The room is on the ground floor straight off reception, so was a little noisy and the outlook from the window was over a nasty little alley full of overflowing rubbish bins and cigarette ends. I know it's a city centre hotel, but if you were staying for more than one night it would not be a pleasant aspect in the daytime!

The cleaning trollies in the lobby just outside our room meant we had to manouevre round them to get to our room which is not what i would expect from a 4 star hotel - and they were there the whole time we were ie 4pm Sunday-12 noon Monday.

It wasn't until we returned late after the concert that we realised we couldn't get the heating to work properly without having the noisy fan on. However, we were very tired by them and couldn't be doing with complaining, so turned off the fan (and heating) and snuggled up with the decorative bedding on top for extra warmth!

In contrast, the breakfast room in the morning was very overheated and hot! However, the eggs Benedict and eggs royal we had for breakfast were excellent.

The staff were delightful, professional and helpful.

Overall though with a total price tag of £112.95 for the room, the small breakfast and car parking, I don't feel it offered anything particularly special or different (which is what I'd hoped for).

Room Tip: Wouldn't recommend room 101 on ground floor (well two steps up our of reception), bit noisy, sur...
2 Thank Julia R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Harrogate
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

Had a wonderful , stay at the Quebecs. Booked the romantic break , for my husbands birthday . worth every penny , champagne, chocolates , strawberry's , rose petals on the bed . Room was very large & luxurious , good quality toiletries & Taylors tea & coffee . All the staff , are friendly & professional . Lovely breakfast , with good service . Really lovely hotel bar , with a lovely friendly bar man .

1 Thank yorkshire66
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

I love this hotel and have stayed a couple of times. Staff are friendly and helpful - very professional. The Deluxe room I had on the 4th floor the first time was lovely. The Executive room, 105, on the ground floor was a gorgeous and very spacious room, finished to a high standard. I was worried about the traffic noise having read other reviews - although noticeable, it didn't bother me - just a background rumble. I did mention my concern at check-in and was told I could change it if I wasn't happy - it was such a lovely room I took it and didn't regret it.

I ate in my room for convenience as it was a business trip and I was working. A good standard of room service, especially breakfast, although I would like to see a little more vegetarian choice. There are, however, bags of nearby restaurants.

It's a great location for Leeds City centre and the station and a wonderful, heritage building for a very reasonable price compared to other boutique hotels of this standard - really glad to have found something a bit different.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms at front on ground floor if you think traffic will bother you - it wasn't a deal bre...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Stafford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

Very central location, making the whole city centre accessible. Beautiful building that has been refurbished to very high standards. Room was huge and very comfortable. Staff were all very welcoming.
Great city hotel with a very personal feel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

Such a good quality hotel! Very welcoming and the room was amazing! The location of the hotel itself was a bonus because it is so close to the town centre and other amenities. The service we received was very good and made the stay all the more pleasurable. I'd definitely come back. Also very helpful in finding my phone and bringing it back in one piece!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
sunderland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

my husband and i stayed here for 2 nights on a shopping trip, we werent too sure about this location but were suprised how close to the station we were, it is hidden away just off the main street. We arrived in the main foyer to a spiral staircase with stained glass windows, the room we had which was deluxe room, was gorgeous, very large and a queen size bed that we just sunk into,the bathroom was impressive ,it has l'occtaine toiletries and lovely fluffy towels,and apower shower. this was a room only offer as the breakfast was way too expensive so if you get a deal with breakfast included youl no doubt be in for a treat. we had a good nights sleep abait for a strange noise that sounded like a motorbike flying down the street outside every now and again,not a clue what it was even with double glazing.there was a mini bar which we didnt use,tea and a proper coffee perculator,complimentry water and a lovely touch of apples in the room,,the staff were very helpful and polite, and when wed realised that the duvets/pillows were duck filled,(we both have asmtha and are allergic) the staff changed the whole bedding for non-allergenic ones. Id definitely stay here again, the location into the main square and the town is literally 5 mins walk,restaurants are in abundance by walking left out of the hotel and up right where youd find, akhbars,la tasca,giraffe,feraras, bar one,slug and lettuce and lots more

Room Tip: really dont know maybe the ones not on the main street dont have that noise during the night????
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

I had to review this hotel simply because the Yorkshire cooked breakfast was the best breakfast I have ever had - each individual item was cooked to perfection - the bacon, sausage, mushroom, tomato, scrambled egg and even the little bit of fried bread - it was all absolutely brilliant. We arrived very late and left early the next morning but the room was very spacious and luxurious and the location suited us perfectly. The only negative was that when we arrived we could see a space in the car park but were told it was reserved for someone else, despite the website saying it was first come first served. Otherwise very good.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business