“Business Trip”
Review of Quebecs

Quebecs
Ranked #8 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 21 January 2014

On arrival at the hotel, the entrance is quite grand. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The check in time was 3 o'clock which i found to be quite late in the day. Usually they are at two o'clock. I asked to be checked in early but they said they couldnt do that. I was staying in the balcony suite. for a suite i was quite underwhelmed by it. It was a lovely room, i just didnt think it was big enough to be classed as a suite. I suppose the whole benefit of this room was the balcony suite, which hence the name has a balcony, so it is good for smoker, however for a non-smoker like myself I didnt have a need for it. The wifi in the hotel was one of the worst i have ever experienced, 3G was faster! It was also quite dark in the room with poor lighting. The balcony entrance caused a draft in my room and it also wasnt particulary soundproof either. The hotel is quite noisy at night, but for the good location I can accept that. Overall it was a lovely hotel, with lovely staff but I dont think it was worth the money I paid for a suite. I would stay here again but would not splurge for a suite.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank gjohnston870

Reviewed 20 January 2014

Stayed here twice, once at Christmas and the decorations were fab! Rooms are large and decorated uniquely with lovely bathrooms. Staff are friendly and helpful. There is a bar in the hotel and we had breakfast which was nice, the hotel is very central for eating out or shopping!

Reviewed 19 January 2014

To be honest I had fairly high expectations which were based on the photos on the hotel website and the tripavisor reviews; however I think the quality of stay depends very much on the room you get.
On entering the hotel I thought I had discovered a gem of a hotel.
The entrance is very grand and rather than the usual arrangement of standing at a check in desk, there was a sit down arrangement. The thing is as soon as I sat down to check in I realised it was just a gimmick and it’s actually much easier to check in standing up!
The disappointments then started thick and fast.
First was the WIFI in the rooms was not working and I was told that I could get connected in the office suite on the another floor (not an ideal set up for making a personal skype call to my wife)
The room was actually the least “connected” room I have ever stayed in and was unable to even get a decent 3G signal to pull in my work emails on my ipad so not wanting to go to the office suite I resigned myself to not getting any work done.

The rooms on the website look like a scene from Downton Abbey. Mine was the size of a rabbit hutch!
I was getting hungry so I decided to order some food and eat in front of the TV (the exotic life of a business traveller) but the phone was a cordless affair and some plonker had unplugged it meaning after I plugged it in it still had to charge up before I could use it!
The in room menu was pretty sparse but in the end decided on the Thai red curry.
When it arrived the chap who brought it told me I had ordered the best thing on the menu which after eating it concerned me as it was a bit watery, but tasted fine but nothing special. There was also a bit of a comedy moment where it was obvious the room was so small that there was nowhere to put the tray down!! In the end I had to put the tea/coffee tray on the bed so he could put the curry down on the small table in the room.

To summarise:
Probably better for leisure/romantic stays rather than business
The staff were warm and friendly.
The food was average
My room was small but nicely decorated (but a little dark and cave-like)
TV was OK, but only had basic free view channels
Bathroom was small but fitted out to a high standard with quality toiletries

On balance I have decided not to use this hotel again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Camera-Colin
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I stayed here when I went Christmas shopping at the end of November and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. When entering the hotel it was like stepping back in time the sweeping staircase was beautiful. We arrived early and dropped off our luggage with no problems. The room was very clean and the beds very comfortable and the added touches in the room were very much appreciated after a very busy day shopping. The breakfast was good quality produce and nicely presented. The staff were great, very friendly and helpful. All in all I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Stayed here for one night on New Years Eve and it's one of the best hotels I've stayed at in this country. Great architecture from the outside and as soon as you walk up the entrance steps you get that feeling of grandeur.

Check-in was smooth and every member of staff greeted us with a smile and a hello. We stayed on the 4th floor in a deluxe room which was absolutely fantastic. For the price we paid you can't really do any worse than this hotel. Great location too, just around the corner from the train station.

Highly recommended and will be staying again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on an upper floor to reduce noise from the road below.
1  Thank Rockstar10
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Stayed here for one night while spending two days in Leeds.
Booked directly with the hotel via their website after phoning first to clarify some details.
Upon arrival our room was not ready, however we did arrive before the advised check in time.
We found no problem dropping off our luggage and were then given directions on how to access the hotels car park.
This isn’t exactly a car park, it’s best described as a barrier controlled space between buildings with some white lines painted on. More on that later.

Both the exterior and interior of the hotel are very impressive and full of old world features such as a beautiful stained glass window, and wooden staircase.
Our room was nice and large with very high quality fixtures, fittings and furniture.
Nice high ceiling, quiet yet effective heating and air con. Nicely decorated and containing everything one would expect from a hotel of this rating and price range.
Shame about our view being of an adjacent side building, however the thick heavy curtains closed this off nicely.
Free Wifi was easy to connect to.
However our room would really benefit from a larger TV, ours was simply too small to view from the bed.

There is a bar on the reception level, however I made several visits to it during our stay and never found anyone in attendance behind the bar.
Eventually I asked the receptionist and she came to serve me, this person admitted there was no dedicated bar staff, now this could have been because of the time of day but I found this very odd.
The bar could have been a nice place to sit and relax, certainly from the way it was laid out and decorated but with no staff and consequently no customers it lacked any kind of atmosphere.

A good nights sleep was had in a very comfortable, large bed.
Then came breakfast.
This is served in a very small room (feels like an added on conservatory) on the upper floor.
While cereal, fruit, yogurt and pastries are available from the small buffet table, other items must be ordered.
OK, so hot items are cooked to order, ensuring freshness and quality which I’m fine with providing its done properly and without delay.
However the cost is quite considerable and not reflected by the nature of what ends up being delivered to your table after some considerable wait.
Back to the buffet items. Again it’s not cheap and the choice is far too limited. There was no milk when I arrived and considering the length of time it took the waiter to bring some, I can only assume he’d had to go to the local shop for it.
My wife is a big pastry fan yet the items available were small, disappointing and certainly not made fresh that morning.
This is far below what one expects for a four star rated hotel.

So onto check out, where I was then asked to pay a car park charge, again the cost was simply not justifiable.
On street parking was available within 100 yards at a fraction of the cost.
The hotels car park offers nothing in the way of security or convenience as its so small, other cars can and did block me in. Other guests I spoke to confirmed this had happened to them as well.

To sum up then, a very nice hotel, great location and some wonderful period features inside and out.
However it was really let down by the extortionate charges made for breakfast and car parking.
I would stay here again, but I’d park and eat much cheaper elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for a view, I didn't and therefore didn't get one.
2  Thank rangestormer
Reviewed 27 December 2013

From the moment we arrived to the moment we left this hotel was excellence personified. Our room was superb with lots of lovely extras dressing gowns slippers and lovely bathroom soaps. There was plenty of wardrobe space an extremely comfortable bed and treats available in the mini bar if you desired. The staff were superb, extremely courteous and helpful. Our breakfast on both mornings was excellent and freshly cooked hurrah!! We will definitely be back. And a quick word for the Leeds taxi drivers who were again courteous and very helpful!

Room Tip: Remember you are in the centre of Leeds it is going to be a bit noisy! Ask for quiet room but be pre...