“A special place”
Review of 42 The Calls

42 The Calls
Ranked #43 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 3 October 2011

This lovely hotel has character and charm...it is really special and a very nice place to stay. It is in a slightly unlikely location but within walking distance of the station. Very nicely fitted rooms and everything you could wish for in terms of facilities and quality. I was on business but it is quite a romantic place too I would say.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Jewellsverne
MissHelenBradshaw, Operations Manager at 42 The Calls, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2011

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay.

We are very fortunate to have character from the hotels origins as a working Corn Mill and I am glad you were able to appreciate this.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel, whether it is for leisure or business.

Reviewed 2 October 2011

Stayed here on 30th september with my partner and we had a thoroughly enjoyable stay. our room was clean if a little on the small side,but we had a room overlooking the Aire,which was lovely. There was complimentary fudge,shorbread and mineral water,which was very welcome as when we stayed here it was 28 degrees. The staff were friendly efficient and very welcoming,and couldnt have been more helpful,overall a great place to enjoy all that Leeds has to offer.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review.

I am delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and found the staff friendly, helpful and offering a warm welcome.

The team and I look forward to welcoming you on your next visit to Leeds.

Reviewed 29 September 2011

Me and my partner stayed in this hotel recently on our one year anniversary. Never having been to Leeds before, we saw this place which was resonably prices for two nights stay and booked it up. The hotel itself was charming, small from the outside but surprising had many rooms.

The staff were very helpful and we got a free glass of wine on arrival. We were show to room 311 which was a massive room. loads of windows with good light and all the things you need in a room. TV, Shower, bath, toilet etc, towels, TV, bed, seats etc. The bed was very very soft and very lovely to sleep on when we got in from walking around leeds.

The problems were that the room has marks and scuffs out of the floor and chairs. The bathroom was a little run down and the shower head was disgusting (Black mouldy bits) The TV worked when it wanted to, which meant sitting for 30 mins and fiddling with wires before it turned on. If you dont like spiders then do not stay in this room. . .there were LOADS. counted 12 on one window (I know theres not alot you can do about spiders but still).

Otherwise a nice stay but needs a bit of a paint and clean and it would be perfect.

Room Tip: the room we stayed in over looked the river but there is a bridge on the left hand side of the hotel...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

We are very honored that you chose to celebrate your anniversary at 42 The Calls and I am pleased that despite a few areas; overall you had a nice stay and found the staff very helpful.

I was concerned to read that there were a few area's in your room that you felt required attention. I have spoken with the housekeeping department regarding the shower head and please accept my apologies for this lapse in service.

Thank you for informing me of your room number, as I will ensure our maintenance team looks in to the areas you have mentioned.

I do hope the team and I will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future and please contact me directly to do so.

Reviewed 25 September 2011

Thoroughly enjoyed staying at 42 The Calls. Excellent location- very handy for both bus and train stations, but also tucked away from busy streets. Very helpful staff at check-in. Lovely room overlooking the Aire.( It was really nice hearing ducks going up and down the river !)
Good room service breakfast, delivered at exactly the right time. Friendly and helpful communication from the hotel in anticipation of the stay. I would definitely stay here again

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo

Thank you for posting your review.

It is lovely to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and found the location excellent.

We aim to offer a high service from the moment you book so I am very pleased that you found this the case.

The staff and I look forward to your return to Leeds and 42 The Calls.

Reviewed 4 September 2011

I recently stayed with my husband for our wedding anniversary. We were greeted on arrival by friendly and helpful staff. Our room was very nice and well laid out, there were tea and coffee making facilties and complimentery mineral water, fudge and buscuits. The room and bathroom were very clean the bathroom having fluffy towels and bathrobes and a selection of very nice toiletries. The full english breakfast in the river room the next morning was delicious and beautifully cooked, the waitress was very helpful and attentive to our needs. We had a wonderful stay at 42 The Calls and i cannot wait to stay again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
MissHelenBradshaw, Operations Manager at 42 The Calls, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2011

Thank you for posting your review of your stay.

I am delighted that we were able to be a part of your anniversary celebrations.

I have shared your comments with the team and they are as thrilled as I am that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you to the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed 2 September 2011

Overall very nice, cozy, good food, good service, helpful staff. Rooms could be cleaner and light bed sheets could be provided for warmer nights, with these, I would give a top rating. We had windows open and there was some street noise as the shows and bars emptied, but not a problem for us.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay.

I was concerned to read that you thought your room could have been cleaner. I have passed these comments on to the housekeeping team and please accept my apologies for this lapse in service.

We would be more than happy to place sheets instead of a duvet on your bed for your next stay, please advise the reservations team upon reserving your room.

The team and I look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 31 August 2011

I was ignored for 5 minutes on check in whilst the girl surfed the net - not a good first impression. I had booked the room under LoveLeedsMore £20.11 promotion so got 2 nights stay for £100. The decor is nice - corridors like a prison theme, furnishings soft and plush, bed very comfortable, flat screen TV, separate sitting area. Some nice touches - bathrobes, fudge, homemade shortbread, proper coffee and cafetiere and a huge bathroom. There was also a privacy hatch to deliver papers or food without intruding. Some slight niggles - why only 1 bottle of mineral water for a double room? I didn't like the fact that the (very nice) tolietries were in pump dispensers. There was also a sticky mark on the duvet cover that wasn't changed. One major problem though was creaky old floors so it was very noticeable when people walked about upstairs. My first night was lovely but on the second I was kept awake till 3 by cackling women from a wedding group. The check in was ridiculous - 1 desk to serve 8 people so I had to wait for 20 mins. Why not put another desk on for busy times? All in all though an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo

Thank you for writing your review.

I am pleased that you were able to enjoy the décor in your room and despite a few niggles, had an enjoyable stay.

I have spoke to all the departments regarding your comments and please accept my sincere apologies for the lapse in service.

We will be more than happy to place an extra bottle of complimentary water in your room for your next stay.

I do hope we will be able to welcome you to the hotel in the near future.

Kindest regards,