“Great Style and comfort at an affordable price.”
Review of 42 The Calls

42 The Calls
Ranked #39 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
manchester
“Great Style and comfort at an affordable price.”
Reviewed 8 December 2011

My recent stay at 42 The Calls was very memorable in deed, I proposed to my my girlfriend and shee said Yes! We had booked for a romantic min break and we were not let down. The receptionist was friendly and helpful and we were soon shown to our room. The room had charachter and was finished to a high standard with exposed beams etc. The bed was comfortable and the breakfast was top quality. Overall a very enjoyable stay in a chic and stylish boutique hotel which was reasonably priced

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the river
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
MissHelenBradshaw, Operations Manager at 42 The Calls, responded to this review, 11 January 2012
Thank you for your review.

Firstly, Congratulations on your engagement, I am thrilled that you chose to stay at 42 The Calls for such a special occasion.

It is very rewarding to read that you found the staff helpful and overall enjoyed your stay in our chic, stylish, boutique hotel.

The team and I look forward to welcoming you to the hotel in the future.

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Leeds, UK
Reviewed 23 November 2011

I booked a Director's Room for my partner's birthday on 10th November. The receptionist, Chelsea, went out of her way to ensure we had a fantastic stay and we were delighted with the room.

The room was stunning, overlooking the river, and we enjoyed a fantastic meal at Brasserie 44 followed by drinks in the hotels' honesty bar.

We were quite aware that we would be filmed, and that the bottles of spirits had measuring implements attached, in the honesty bar. However, when we poured the gin it just free poured without clicking after each shot.

When we went to check out in the morning, we were faced with a very rude, inexperienced receptionist. Despite the error with the measuring implement on the bottle, we were quite happy to pay the bill, but were disgusted at the way we were treated. When I pointed out about the error with the bottle I was told " Well we have you on video, which I can play back to you if you like" and no other comments...No I'm sorry I'll look into the matter...This, I feel, was very bad customer service.

Unfortunately this left us coming away with bad feelings from what otherwise was a fantastic stay.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Oxydm
MissHelenBradshaw, Operations Manager at 42 The Calls, responded to this review, 3 December 2011
Thank you for posting a review of your stay.

I was delighted to hear that you were impressed with Chelsea’s customer service and the allocation of your room; however, I was most concerned to read your comments regarding the customer service you experienced on departure.

Following your comments the manager on duty did of course check the optic to ensure it was functioning correctly and couldn't find any fault with it and upon checking the CCTV again, it was apparent that other guests had used the optic during the evening without encountering any problem with it.

I am only sorry that we were not aware of your concerns regarding the measurements at the time you poured your drinks as we could have resolved this matter then, which could have prevented the ill feeling you left with especially as you had enjoyed all the other aspects of your stay.

I am of course available if you do wish to discuss this matter in any further detail.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2011

We stayed here for two nights in the summer 2011. The hotel oozed quality from the very start, with a warm friendly greeting and a glass of wine. The room was faultless, clean, well proportioned, well specced and nice exposed beams giving it that feel of character. Our 9 month old baby was well catered for too. Room overlooked the river, which proved picturesque. On top of all this I felt it was a very good price too.

Room Tip: rooms overlooking river look great - can get some noise from the bars over the other side though
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay.

It is very rewarding for all the staff to read that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay at 42 The Calls this summer.

We all hope to see you and your family again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2011

A fab hotel, lovely sized deluxe double room with little added extras such as complimentary wine on arrival and very yummy shortbread in the room.... Lovely big bathroom and a really comfortable bed for a great nights sleep!

• Stayed November 2011
Thank you for your review.

I am thrilled that you think 42 The Calls is a fab hotel and that you enjoy our little added extras.

The team and I look forward to welcoming you on your next visit.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 22 November 2011

This stay was an awesome experience. Loved the interior, the service and the little touches like the yummy shortbreads by Nigel and the daily boxes of smarties. Great location, loved the stay. Will be back.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
We value all feedback, so thank you for taking the time to post your review.

It is great to hear that you had an awesome experience staying at the hotel and our chef Nigel is especially happy that you enjoyed his homemade shortbread.

We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 21 November 2011

firstly, I find it really silly that other people have been negative about the noise, the hotel is in the city centre and I am 100% sure you were aware of this when booking! I can say its not noisy at all, just the slight buzz of people enjoying themselves in a cosmopolitan city (I know, how dare they). In the mornings its very peaceful to look out onto the canal.
Its a beautiful hotel, we stayed here on the 18th/19th of November, this is our third visit and we can't fault it. Booked two double rooms and both were lovely. In fact the rooms are stunning, when booking we always ask for the canal side and every time we have been put in one. The rooms are clean and have a great extras like bottled water, hairdryer, ironing facilities etc. Fluffy bathrobes are awesome and bed is outrageously comfy! service fab, very friendly and wine on arrival...perfect get away.

Room Tip: request the canal side if you can, and room 104 and 204 are beautiful, the views are just stunning l...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank bumblebee03
Thank you taking the time to write a review of your stay.

It is lovely to read that on your third visit, you still find the hotel to be that perfect get away and enjoyed every aspect of your stay.

The team and I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Kind Regards

Surrey
Reviewed 17 November 2011

We've stayed at 42 The Calls a number of times due to it's central Leeds location. The rooms are reasonably priced and very comfortable with good bathrooms. They offer a free glass of wine when you check in and an honesty bar for evening drinks.

Breakfast is good with a particularly large selection of sausages. Service can be a little slow so leave yourself lots of time to enjoy it.

The only downside is due to it's location the hotel does suffer from late night noise when the clubs close. The rooms can also be very hot. Our way of dealing with this is to turn off all radiators and open the windows as soon as we enter the room, when we go to bed we then close the windows firmly to cut out most of the noise. In this way we sleep very well.

Room Tip: Room 101 is a very reasonably priced suite.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review.

I am pleased that you find the bedrooms reasonably priced and comfortable.

I was concerned to read your comments regarding the service at breakfast; I have of course spoken to the staff regarding this and please accept my apologies for this lapse in service.

As you have stated, you can turn off the radiators in the rooms with the fitted thermostat and if you would like to inform us of your next visit I can have all the radiators turned off completely in your room for your arrival.

We look forward to seeing you again.