“Comfortable and relaxed stay”
Review of 42 The Calls

42 The Calls
Ranked #43 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Chessington, United Kingdom
“Comfortable and relaxed stay”
Reviewed 1 January 2012

We had room 311, a corner room overlooking the River Aire. It was very comfortable, with a big bed, desk, comfy chairs, fridge mini bar and kettle. The bathroom was small with a shower over the bath, but not quite enough shelving space to put stuff. Overall, it was excellent value at £100 including breakfast, which was a buffet plus cooked breakfast, served in the River Room. The hotel is well located, just a short walk from the shops and loads of restaurants. We parked our car in a nearby multi-storey, which was fine for us.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
MissHelenBradshaw, Operations Manager at 42 The Calls, responded to this review, 14 January 2012
Thank you for your review.

It was great to read that you enjoyed the furnishings within room 311 and your breakfast.

As the majoity of our rooms are laid out differently, some bathrooms have slightly more shelf space than others. I have noted on your profile that you would like more shelf space in the bathroom and I would be more than happy to allocate you a room with this on your next stay.

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Yorkshire, England
Reviewed 1 January 2012

My husband and i stayed in the hotel on New Years Eve in order to be able to enjoy the Harvey Nichols party without having to worry about driving home. The hotel was wonderful,our room lovely,warm and welcoming,our inclusive bottle of champagne chilled and waiting for us. Our option of a late breakfast till 12pm was a nice touch and the breakfast outstanding,the best we have had ever in Leeds and we have stayed in a lot of Leeds hotels. My test of a good hotel breakfast is whether "proper" toast is offered, ie NOT sliced,and The Calls didn't let me down. The home made biscuits in the bedroom was a first though ,very impressive and fresh milk being brought to the rooms also a nice touch. All the jams,marmalades and sauces had also been made for the hotel as well, and were wonderful,i could have smuggled them all home in my suitcase!!
The only big downside is the parking and even us as 'locals' found it a pain so people who don't know the city must hate having to traverse the "loop" just to park. Also not impressed that the one they recommend is £18 for 24hrs and the voucher they give you only knocks approx £3 off. Parking should be free and someone parking your car for you would be a really nice touch, as after arriving at the hotel, you then have to leave again to try and find the car park!
Overall though I would recommend this hotel to anyone, and would certainly visit again.

• Stayed January 2012
Thank you for your review post.

It was a pleasure to have you stay with 42 The Calls as part of your New Years Eve celebrations.

I was delighted to read that you arrived to a welcoming, warm room and found our breakfast to be the best you ever had.

Alternatively to the car park there are a number of meter bays on the same street as the hotel which are free after 6pm Monday to Sunday and free all day on Sundays including Bank Holidays.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Wilmslow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 December 2011

I decided to call 42 The Calls direct rather than go through an online booking agency and this proved to be a good move. A very pleasant receptionist answered and I explained that I wanted one night's accommodation in a large room with a river view. I was quoted an excellent rate for a deluxe bedroom overlooking the river and was even given a room number which was reassuring. I then queried the size of the bed as it was advertised as 'king size' which is not the widest of beds by my understanding.

The receptionist (after checking) confirmed that the bed was in fact over 6" wide which equates to a super king size I believe and is perfect for those who like that extra space! I asked about parking and was told that although there isn't a private car park, there is a special rate for hotel guests at the nearby market's NCP car park.

On arrival (after tackling the infamous city centre loop system) we were met by a lovely receptionist called Angela who allowed us to view our room before checking in. Another member of staff called Cargill took us the short distance to the second floor through lovely hallways that combined traditional features of this old mill with a chic modern twist.

The room itself was beautiful and overlooked the River Aire as requested. Exposed brickwork and beams mixed with glass panelled wardrobes gave it that boutique feel. There was a good sized bathroom incorporating both shower and bath with the added touch of complimentary toiletaries and luxorious bathrobes. My girlfriend also commented upon the good shelf space. The only things to point out here were that there was only one bar of soap and the cold water was unsuitable for drinking which was just a little annoying if you required a drink urgently.

In the bedroom was a well-stocked mini bar and fridge built into the wardrobe. The bed itself was as described and was softer rather than firm due to a mattress topper. The pillows and duvet contained feathers rather than man-made fillings. We later found out that specific requirements such as non-feather bedding could easily be provided by the hotel.

Parking was made so much easier by Cargill the porter who went that extra mile and actually took me in my car to the car park. Nothing seems too much for the staff here and when we arrived back I was presented with 2 glasses of mulled wine for my girlfriend and I which was a lovely touch.

The hotel is located in the trendy Calls area of Leeds very close to the coach and train stations. The shops are a two minute walk away and an abundance of fine reastaurants are on your doorstep whether you are a meat eater or not. We were in the mood for fish so walked the 15 metres or so to Livebait and had a very enjoyable meal. It was then back to the hotel for a relaxing evening.

We could not fault the hotel or the location at all and have already decided that we will use it as a base for future visits to Leeds when we feel like something a little special! The staff are very friendly and obliging.

Room Tip: Go for a river view if possible and remember that all rooms are different so ask staff about size et...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marc B
Thank you for posting a detailed review of your stay.

It was very rewarding to read that you had a lovely romantic getaway and that you found the, location, décor and service to be faultless.

I have ensured all staff are aware of your comments, especially Angela and Cargill, they are as delighted as I am that you enjoyed your stay.

As you have mentioned you are unable to drink the water from the tap in the bathroom, although this is fine to use in the kettle, we do supply a complimentary bottle of water in your room and should you require any more we will be more than happy to supply you with this.

The team and I look forward to your return visit.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2011

To start with the parking was not good for a woman travelling on her own as it is not near hotel.The room was spacious and comfortable but a bit tired.The staff were excellent and replaced the pillows which were synthetic.I had been recommended this hotel and was disappointed to be facing the road.The main reason for never staying again is I was kept awake from midnight until 4am with drunken revellers shouting in the street.I have stayed in Leeds city centre many times but not been disturbed by so much shouting maybe double glassing would solve your problem.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the canal are quieter
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank swifty201
Thank you for your review.

It was great to read that you thought the rooms were spacious, comfortable and that the staff were excellent during your stay, however, I was concerned that you were disturbed by external noise during your stay

As you have stated on your room tip, we do have river view facing rooms and we would be more than happy to allocate you one of these should you find yourself in Leeds again.

We do not have our own car park at the hotel and suggest the closest car park to the hotel which is the NCP on New York Street, one of our porters would be more than happy to accompany you to the car park should you require this. Alternatively there are a number of meter bays on the same street as the hotel which are free after 6pm, Monday to Saturday, these meter bays charge from 8am in the morning for a maximum of two hours.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly on your next visit to Leeds so I can personally oversee your reservation.

Brentwood, Essex
Reviewed 16 December 2011

I stayed here Monday to Friday whilst on business and found it a very pleasant change. The hotel is small and quirky in a well converted mill. The staff are friendly and helpful. The room and bathroom was massive as were those of my colleagues, some overlooking the canal, some overlooking the city. Breakfast, which was included in the price of the room, was fantastic! Do not expect business services, however wifi is free! The restaurant next door Brasserie 44 is highly recommended, as is the Cattle Grid, all within a short walk.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Thank you for taking time to post a review of your stay.

I am pleased that we were able to accommodate you during your business visit to Leeds and that you found your stay to be a pleasant change.

I have ensured that your comments have been passed to the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

manchester
Reviewed 8 December 2011

My recent stay at 42 The Calls was very memorable in deed, I proposed to my my girlfriend and shee said Yes! We had booked for a romantic min break and we were not let down. The receptionist was friendly and helpful and we were soon shown to our room. The room had charachter and was finished to a high standard with exposed beams etc. The bed was comfortable and the breakfast was top quality. Overall a very enjoyable stay in a chic and stylish boutique hotel which was reasonably priced

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the river
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
MissHelenBradshaw, Operations Manager at 42 The Calls, responded to this review, 11 January 2012
Thank you for your review.

Firstly, Congratulations on your engagement, I am thrilled that you chose to stay at 42 The Calls for such a special occasion.

It is very rewarding to read that you found the staff helpful and overall enjoyed your stay in our chic, stylish, boutique hotel.

The team and I look forward to welcoming you to the hotel in the future.

Leeds, UK
Reviewed 23 November 2011

I booked a Director's Room for my partner's birthday on 10th November. The receptionist, Chelsea, went out of her way to ensure we had a fantastic stay and we were delighted with the room.

The room was stunning, overlooking the river, and we enjoyed a fantastic meal at Brasserie 44 followed by drinks in the hotels' honesty bar.

We were quite aware that we would be filmed, and that the bottles of spirits had measuring implements attached, in the honesty bar. However, when we poured the gin it just free poured without clicking after each shot.

When we went to check out in the morning, we were faced with a very rude, inexperienced receptionist. Despite the error with the measuring implement on the bottle, we were quite happy to pay the bill, but were disgusted at the way we were treated. When I pointed out about the error with the bottle I was told " Well we have you on video, which I can play back to you if you like" and no other comments...No I'm sorry I'll look into the matter...This, I feel, was very bad customer service.

Unfortunately this left us coming away with bad feelings from what otherwise was a fantastic stay.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Oxydm
MissHelenBradshaw, Operations Manager at 42 The Calls, responded to this review, 3 December 2011
Thank you for posting a review of your stay.

I was delighted to hear that you were impressed with Chelsea’s customer service and the allocation of your room; however, I was most concerned to read your comments regarding the customer service you experienced on departure.

Following your comments the manager on duty did of course check the optic to ensure it was functioning correctly and couldn't find any fault with it and upon checking the CCTV again, it was apparent that other guests had used the optic during the evening without encountering any problem with it.

I am only sorry that we were not aware of your concerns regarding the measurements at the time you poured your drinks as we could have resolved this matter then, which could have prevented the ill feeling you left with especially as you had enjoyed all the other aspects of your stay.

I am of course available if you do wish to discuss this matter in any further detail.