“Central Leeds, lovely hotel.”
Review of 42 The Calls

42 The Calls
Ranked #43 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 9 May 2012

Right in the centre of Leeds - no parking but there is a NCP car park within 5-10 mins walk that costs around £16 a day. Lovely little hotel, friendly reception and clean well decorated room. Didn't try breakfast but the menu looked good.
Comlimentary glass of wine on arrival and biscuits and fudge in room. Only improvements they could make are to supply more tea bags (2 for 2 people was stingy ) and improve the products in the bathroom - no hair conditioner left me looking rather dishevelled for the day shopping in Leeds. Lovely hotel all in all, we would return.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
MissHelenBradshaw, Operations Manager at 42 The Calls, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2012

Thank you for your review.

I am pleased that overall you think 42 The Calls is a lovely hotel.

As an alternative to the NCP car park, there are meter parking spaces along the same street as the hotel. These are free between the hours of 6pm - 8am and free all day on a Sunday, you can pay for a maximum of two hours which costs £5.00.

If we can ever be of any assistance with your reservation, please do not hesitate to give us a call. We have inclusive breakfast rates available and would love for you to try our Yorkshire breakfast.

There are newer reviews for 42 The Calls

Reviewed 6 May 2012

I booked 42 the calls for my husband and two children aged 5 and 8 for over the May bank holiday weekend. I booked through Booking.com after selecting criteria which detailed family of 4 and children's ages. At the time of booking I rang the hotel 4 times to check that we would be having adjoining rooms. There was no answer from the hotel despite numerous calls, so I looked at the hotel website which outlined the facilities the hotel offers for families, the main one for me being having adjoining rooms. I rang the hotel again the day before our visit to check, however was informed that we would be in two separate rooms which were opposite one another. I was told that this would be ok as the corridor was quiet, and only kitchen staff used it. To a responsible parent, this is not ok, and after paying £300 for two rooms, I didn't want to be separated from my husband, nor jeopardise the safety of my children. The hotel did try and move us but were fully booked. I therefore explained to the hotel and bookings.com that I felt I had been mis sold the room. The receptionist at The Calls was very helpful but unfortunately was not in a position to offer a refund. The manager of the hotel offered a room on an alternatives date, which was not what we wanted, or they would charge us a cancellation fee. The cancellation fee was charged instantly to my account, with the hotel saying that they would refund if they booked out the room, which they have for one of the rooms. However, I have been charged £89 as a consequence of this fiasco! I am very disappointed in the customer service experience I have had. I spent two hours on the phone between the hotel and booking.com on Friday night. The manager was particularly dismissive and explained that it was my fault that this had happened and that I was fortunate that the hotel was being lenient with me, by offering an alternate date, or potential not to charge the fee if the rooms were subsequently booked out by another person, which was not readvertised after my cancellation, as I checked myself online. The manager seemed to try and get rid of me by saying she was v confident it would be booked, but to me if the room wasn't advertised as available , impossible! Unless it was booked and the hotel ar cashing in on my fee and a replacement booking!

I wouldn't recommend this hotel due to the experience I have had, and certainly wont stay here on my next visit to Leeds. Customer service, very poor, and as a family friendly hotel, recommending it is ok to be in rooms opposite your children, disgraceful!

Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank D B

I was obviously most concerned to read your comments due to the fact that you have not actually stayed at 42 The Calls and experienced the services and facilities that we offer. Additionally, our investigations in to this matter have concluded that at no point was this any fault of the hotel.

Having phoned the night prior to your arrival to check your reservation made via Booking.com the manager on duty reconfirmed to you the details we had received on the booking confirmation from them, which was four adults in two rooms, with no mention of children or interconnecting rooms.

The Duty Manager offered you an alternative to try and accommodate the requests which had not been confirmed to us, however, as I am sure you can appreciate we were limited at this late stage, as the hotel was already full for the following day and we were unable to offer you a suite or interconnecting rooms which is more suitable for families, of which many of our previous customers have enjoyed.

As stated on your confirmation we do charge a full room rate cancellation fee for cancellations after 4pm 24 hours prior to arrival, to the card used to guarantee the booking. As a good will gesture the manager said if she could resell your rooms she would not charge you the fee, of which she managed to re-sell one of the rooms.

Having spoken to Bookings.com regarding your disappointment, I understand they have refunded you having taken full responsibility and liability for their errors with your reservation which caused your obvious distress.

If you do wish to discuss this in any further detail, please feel free to contact me directly.

Reviewed 4 May 2012

the receptionist was very helpeful upon arrival and showed us to our room and the room was lovely. The main grip about our room was the outside noise especially on the saturday night the roars of people shouting and this disturbed what little sleep we got.
As a night manager in a hotel the attiude of the gentleman checking us out was disapointing to say the least. would I stay again unfortuantly no i would not.

Room Tip: dont take a river view room due to the noise
2  Thank fatsdelight25

Thank you for your review.

It was great to read your comments regarding our receptionist and that your room was lovely.

However, I was concerned to read that you experienced some external noise which can be difficult for us to control being located in the city centre.

Please accept my apologies for your experience on departure and if you do find yourself in Leeds again, contact me directly so I can personally oversee your reservation.

Reviewed 4 May 2012

I first stayed here in the days when boutique hotels anywhere were a novelty and even more so in a Northern inner city. It's a tribute to 42 The Calls that around 20 years later it's still going strong and, despite a few worn armchairs and fraying carpets, still offering a stylish and comfortable alternative to the big chain hotels. It's probably time to jettison the 'welcoming' glass of wine on arrival, especially when it's white, near room temperature and you have to carry it up to your room to drink, but the black and white decor still works well against the old warehouse materials. There is free Wi Fi, i-Pod dock and good bath robes. Its location is ideal for those who want to go into the city centre - if you simply want a quiet meal Brasserie 44 is literally next door. (See separate review.) On a sunny day the views of the river are great but the development of the old Tetley Brewery site means there can also be late noise from younger revellers.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank LaDolceVita27

Thank you for your review.

I see that overall you had a comfortable stay and were impressed with the team’s friendliness.

Redecoration of the bedrooms is something that we are hoping will take place later in the year and will be in keeping with the original features of the building.

We all look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed 3 May 2012

This was booked very last minute through Late rooms.com and we got a great deal. On arriving our booking had not come through although we were assured they had rooms available. We enjoyed a glass of wine offered whilst we checked in and also an upgrade due to the slight delay.
I think we stopped in room 304 - an excellent view of the canal and surrounding areas and a really nice room. Some of the furnishings could have done with replacing (a few stains on the carpets etc) but the room itself was lovely. Exposed beams and old machinery from the original mill and exposed brick walls. The bed was extremely comfortable and there was a nice little seating area where we enjoyed our wine.
The bathroom was nice, but could have done with some modernisation.
The hotel is in a great position for Call, Lane, Clarence Dock, Brewery Wharf and the Gay friendly areas of Leeds.
Will definitely stop here again and will hopefully get to spend a little more time.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you will definitely stay with us again.

We are currently refurbishing our public areas and hope to extend this work in to the bedrooms towards the latter part of the year.

The team and I will see you on your next visit.

Reviewed 2 May 2012

A recent trip took me back to Leeds for a night, having lived across for 42 The Calls when I lived in Leeds I decided to stay here, and was certainly not disappointed. The hotel has a lot of character which is obvious right form coming in the revolving front door. The front desk staff are very helpful and friendly, which when you’re travelling on your own makes a big difference!
I booked a Study room which had plenty of space and was surprisingly well appointed. The comfy bed and the little individual touches, the smarties on your pillow as part of the turn down service or the yummy biscuits hand made by Nigel made this a place I will recommend and stay at again in the future. The Restaurant is also great for both dinner and breakfast serving great Yorkshire cuisine. Discounted gym and parking close to 42 the calls are also a bonus.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for posting your review.

I am delighted that having lived across from 42 The Calls, you finally had the chance to stay with us and enjoyed our Yorkshire hospitality.

We hope to see you again on your next visit to Leeds.

Reviewed 28 April 2012

Wanted to compare a second visit after our impressive first stay and would still recommend a stay here.

Spent the Easter weekend there this time and knew the hotel and area from our previous stay so looked for a direct comparison this time.

Staff were still ever helpful, polite and friendly. We booked a river view like before and were given a corner room so had a lovely dual aspect view which was nice. It was right next to the bridge and fortunately we didn't suffer any noise at sleep time.

The room seemed larger than before space wise, but didn't have the character of our last room with no high ceilings or impressive beams on display. After trying 2 rooms now we'd definitely request the character room next time.

Went for a breakfast this time which we skipped before. Wouldn't normally stretch to £15 for a hotel brekkie, and only splash out for that in special occasions, but there's no doubt it was worth it. Both the food qulaity and preparation was easily comparable to a high class restaurant cooked dish and certainly the sausages were very tasty indeed.

Overall still impressed with the hotel and staff. A brief chat with them at check-out informed us which of the room numbers we'd find most pleasing so will be back again soon for another stay.

1  Thank Darsuke

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted that on your second visit, over the Easter weekend, you are still overall impressed with the hotel and staff after having an already impressive stay previously.

I am glad you were able to enjoy breakfast with us this time, we receive some wonderful comments regarding our breakfast and your evaluation certainly put a smile on the face of our head chef.

The team and I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kind regards,