“Charming hotel with fantastic service”
Review of 42 The Calls

42 The Calls
Ranked #43 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Oakham, United Kingdom
“Charming hotel with fantastic service”
Reviewed 7 April 2013 via mobile

Our stay in the junior suite at this charming ex-cotton mill hotel exceeded our expectations. The staff were so helpful from the moment we checked in until the time we checked out. We were in a rush to get checked in, eat lunch and get dressed for a wedding with a young toddler in tow, and the staff all went out of their way to do everything they could to help us. The hotel was full of character, retaining many of the features of its former life as a cotton mill. The junior suite was very comfortable and well equipped but the thing that really made the stay memorable for us was the incredible helpfulness and friendliness of all the staff. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed April 2013
MissHelenBradshaw, Operations Manager at 42 The Calls, responded to this review, 6 May 2013
Thank you for your review.

It is always so lovely to read such amazing comments about the customer service that team offer and it means a lot to them to receive this feedback.

We hope to welcome you and your family back soon.

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
high wycombe
Reviewed 4 April 2013

It's chic, friendly staff, great location, rooms lovely also has a really nice restaurant next to the hotel , I would definitely stay here whenever I need a hotel in Leeds so weather your there on business, shopping , visiting family or friends this is the very best hotel in leeds 5 stars if I had my way

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review comments.

The team and I are thrilled you love everything about the hotel and we all look forward to seeing you again, whatever the reason for staying maybe.

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2013

MY first visit to 42 the Calls was in 2000 when I went there for diner and was blown away, so having reason to stay in Leeds I booked a room, and looked forward to repeating the experience - but they closed the restaurant some years go.

The room was very comfortable and well appointed, but as I'd gone out for a curry the night before I didn't try out breakfast

Room Tip: All rooms are good so you should be OK
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your review.

I am pleased you found your stay to be comfortable.

Although we have never had our own restaurant, we do have a close relationship with many of the surrounding restaurants and would be delighted to reserve you a table at any one of them.

Brasserie 44 is just one of the restaurants, located directly next door to the hotel, you may have eaten at their sister restaurant in the past, Pool Court, which sadly closed quite a few years back.

We are launching our River Room for lunch very soon and do currently offer private dining in this room for evening parties and larger gatherings.

I do hope to see you back at the hotel in the near future.

Cardiff, South Wales
Reviewed 2 April 2013

The only thing to say about this hotel is it is great. From the glass of wine on arrival, the chocolates on the bed and the fudge in the room - everything screams service standards
The rooms are very comfortable, the bathrooms spacious and all the expected mod cons are there. The breakfaat offering with its vast range of sausages is quirky but again offers something a bit different.
Would definitely stay again and would thoroughly recommend it

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I was delighted to read that you had a comfortable stay and enjoyed our service touches.

The team and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Gateshead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2013

this is one of those places we have always "meant" to try but now son number two is at Uni in Leeds we have the opportunity! We like quirky hotels in interesting buildings and this one hits the spot. The location is absolutely brilliant. The staff were friendly and welcoming. The room (202 with river view) lovely. There was a little bit of noise in the early hours from revellers outside a club over the river but the view compensated. The bed extremely comfortable. Breakfast was very good - so good I ate too much and couldn't eat again all day. Will most definitely be back.

Room Tip: River view is lovely but you may have noise from the clubs etc.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review.

I am glad that you finally had the opportunity to stay with us and it's great to know that you will be back.

If you would ever like your son to join you for breakfast, then please let the team know.

Eccleshall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2013 via mobile

I have been wanting to stay at this hotel for over 15 years since it always had a good reputation. I was lucky to get a cheap rate through Laterooms. I have to say that I would not want to have paid full rate for what I got. The room was tired, the bathroom jaded and the equipment probably not renewed since the place was opened. The whole place just seems tired and a let down. The staff are excellent but that does not make up for the mediocre surroundings.

What a shame. ..... Maybe it's because I was on a cheap rate?

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank JamesNMidlands
MissHelenBradshaw, Operations Manager at 42 The Calls, responded to this review, 25 April 2013
Thank you for reviewing your stay.

Although you thought the team were excellent, I was concerned to read your comments about your room, especially having wanting to stay here for a long time due to a good reputation.

Our public areas have recently had a refurbishment and we will be carrying this on to the bedrooms over time.

If you are returning to Leeds, please do contact me so I can take care of your reservation.

Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2013 via mobile

This hotel was a random find as I've never stopped over in Leeds before. The hotel is very quirky and has a lot of nice touches. For example, newspapers and breakfast are left in a hatch that is accessed from a cupboard in your room. Quite unique. On arrival I was offered a glass of wine. A small point but welcome nonetheless. The room was luxurious. The be was a little unusual in that part of the head of the be was effectively a wooden shelf. Odd to describe, but it did detract slightly.

Breakfast the following morning was a bit of a let down. Yes the sausages were lovely, but the rest was a little disappointing. It seemed like design over substance. The croissants for example were extremely stale. At over £14 you expect better.

All in all I'd come here again, but Id' skip breakfast.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for your review.

Our privacy hatches are very quirky and solve the problem some other hotels have where room service trays and newspapers are often left on corridors. You can even leave your shoes in there when you go to bed and when you wake we will have polished them for you.

Overall it seems you did enjoy your stay, however, I was concerned to read your comments regarding the breakfast.

Please accept my apologies for the lapse in service and I have addressed this with the breakfast team.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly on your next visit to Leeds.