“Charming boutique hotel in great location”
Review of 42 The Calls

42 The Calls
Ranked #42 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Huddersfield
“Charming boutique hotel in great location”
Reviewed 13 April 2013

I stayed at 42 The Calls on a Friday evening with my partner and we were really pleasantly surprised as soon as we arrived. The hotel is in a great location near the canal in the Calls area of Leeds. The front entrance and reception area are quite quirky with some really original features. There is also a lot of charm handed down from the building's industrial history.

We were greeted upon arrival with a complementary glass of wine which was a really nice touch (it was lovely wine too). Our room was well equipped and comfortable and there was a really useful hotel guide in the room with restaurant recommendations and tips to help you get the most out of your stay. For example, the guide states that the hotel has a link with the Pure Gym across the road which is useful if you like to get some exercise in when staying away from home (rates for this are very reasonable too).

There were also lots of little touches which made our stay special, for example there was a turn down service with complementary (chocolate) Smarties in the evening, fudge sweets were included in the room, mineral water was provided free of charge, there were good quality toileteries in the bathroom, lovely soft bath robes etc...

The bed was really comfortable with beautifully soft pillows and super soft duvet. The shower was also great (plenty of water from a large shower head). We also noticed that local producers / small companies were used to provide things like bedroom coffee and biscuits which was a nice touch.

We had a great night's sleep and there was hardly any noise from outside audible from within the room (we were on the 2nd floor). Breakfast the next morning was fantastic (I had kippers with scrambed eggs) and there was also a lovely buffet with exotic fruit, a wide range of cereals and lots of other specially selected products (not to mention the large choice of breakfast sausages!). Suffice to say it is clear to see that a lot of effort has gone into making the breakfast experience (& the hotel stay in general) original and special and it really shows. This place is well worth a visit and we will definitely be returning very soon. We are really pleased to have come across this place.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
MissHelenBradshaw, Operations Manager at 42 The Calls, responded to this review, 12 June 2013
Thank you for your 5/5 review.

I am thrilled you enjoyed your time with us and that you will be back for another visit soon.

I see you noticed that we source a lot of products locally or make items, such as out shortbread, on site, it is important to us to support local businesses and we love all of our Yorkshire produce from the sausages, to the vast range of jams and marmalades.

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
St Albans
Reviewed 12 April 2013

It's always nice to stay somewhere different from the usual soulless chain hotels, and 42 The Calls has bags of charm. Anywhere that offers you a glass of wine before you've even checked in is alright by me. My room was really nice and the bed very comfortable (though I'm not sure I cared that it was hand-made). The bathroom was a little tired and the shower was pretty weak. And what's with the idea of putting a soap dispenser above the bath but no soap by the basin? Finally on the complaints list, the wifi was really slow.
But thanks to hotels.com I paid less than I would have for the Marriott and I'd rather be at 42 The Calls any day.
Monday evening the area round was pretty dead, but i was only 10 mins walk into a much more lively restauranty area

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
MissHelenBradshaw, Operations Manager at 42 The Calls, responded to this review, 8 May 2013
Thank you for your review.

It was lovely to read that you think 42 The Calls has bags of charm and you had a comfortable stay overall.

I was concerned to read that you did not have any soap for your basin; our frog shaped soaps are placed in every room, so please accept my apologies if this was not the case.

I do hope we can welcome you to the hotel again soon.

Anlaby
Reviewed 11 April 2013

I booked this online and stayed here for one night prior to a meeting in Leeds. I called the hotel from the airport and asked for directions to the NCP car park with which they have a special 24 hour rate. Charlotte answered, was very pleasant and gave me clear, concise instructions which were spot on. I was greeted warmly and after checking in, offered a complimentary glass of wine to take to my room.
The rooms are individually decorated and are very comfortable. I would say that some of the décor and furnishings are a little tired however they were acceptable. I had requested a room overlooking the river and this is what I got. I had a great night's sleep in a very comfortable bed.
Although I didn't use it, the hotel has an 'honesty bar' - you help yourself to drinks and complete a slip and the cost is added to your final bill.
I ate out in the evening and when I returned, enquired about breakfast. Charlotte told me the times and took the trouble to show me exactly where the breakfast room was. The breakfast was cooked to order (no fumbling through a buffet) and was excellent.
The hotel is very individual in style, is in a great location for many local attractions and the city centre shops. I would thoroughly recommend it for both business and private travellers.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
MissHelenBradshaw, Operations Manager at 42 The Calls, responded to this review, 6 May 2013
Thank you for your review.

I was thrilled to read that Charlotte took great care to direct you to the hotel and explained the facilities to you.

We do like to make you feel very welcome when you come to stay at 42 The Calls and as well as the warm greeting we do think a nice glass of wine goes down well, especially if you have had a long journey.

I do hope to see you on your next visit to Leeds.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Hasn't been renovated in many years. Only stayed one night thank goodness. Tired hotel past its heyday. Everything has seen better days but the rate was reasonable so not too bothered. Noise outside was appalling at 4.30am with drunks and we were a river view on third floor. It needs so much doing to it and now it's gone into administration not sure it will happen unless a big chain takes it over.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank babybuny
I was so sorry to read of your disappointment regarding your recent stay with us.

We have started a refurbishment programme in the hotel which commenced with the public areas that were completed at the latter part of 2012 and we plan to move forward with this refurbishment in to the bedrooms later this year.

Please accept my apologies for the external noise you experienced, obviously had we been made aware of this at the time we could have investigated further in to this matter.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Have stayed here lots of times and the friendly efficient service is superb. Breakfast in the room is lovely and always delicious. The rooms at the back can sometimes have a little bit of noise when people pass over the canal bridge going home but nothing to worry about.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Thank you for writing a review of your recent stay.

As a repeat customer it is lovely to see that you always enjoy your time with us and find the team, friendly with an efficient service.

We look forward to your next visit.

Leeds
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Being a Leeds local, I've wanted to stay at 42 The Calls for a very long time, and I have to say that on the whole it didn't disappoint.

The hotel is fantastically located and the river view from our room was stunning, especially at sunrise. The public areas are very nice and all of the extras already mentioned (glass of wine on arrival, fudge/homemade biscuits, turn down service with a little box of smarties) were a really nice touch. I also liked the true key on a cat keyring for your room too - I tire of chain hotels with the card to swipe, so this made things feel very personal.

My review has dropped one star mainly because I felt as though our room was starting to look a little bit tired. The main problem being that the window didn't fully close properly (which we found to our peril when we were awoken by drunken revellers at 4:30am in the early hours). Also, at £15 for breakfast, that's way too steep in my opinion.

I would return to 42 The Calls. I would love to explore all of their different rooms as they all looked very unique from the room plan. However, having stayed at Quebecs last year (another hotel I'd always wanted to stay at), I would chose Quebecs first.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view room for the view, but take your earplugs!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am pleased that having wanted to stay here for a long time you had the opportunity and felt we didn’t disappoint.

I was concerned though to read about the window in your room, if you could inform me of your room number I will have our maintenance look in to this.

Our team are always happy to offer or arrange a show round of the hotel and explain the different offers/packages we have so please do contact the team or I to arrange this.

Oakham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2013 via mobile

Our stay in the junior suite at this charming ex-cotton mill hotel exceeded our expectations. The staff were so helpful from the moment we checked in until the time we checked out. We were in a rush to get checked in, eat lunch and get dressed for a wedding with a young toddler in tow, and the staff all went out of their way to do everything they could to help us. The hotel was full of character, retaining many of the features of its former life as a cotton mill. The junior suite was very comfortable and well equipped but the thing that really made the stay memorable for us was the incredible helpfulness and friendliness of all the staff. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for your review.

It is always so lovely to read such amazing comments about the customer service that team offer and it means a lot to them to receive this feedback.

We hope to welcome you and your family back soon.