“Really nice quirky hotel - great location.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of 42 The Calls

42 The Calls
Ranked #40 of 86 Hotels in Leeds
Malton
“Really nice quirky hotel - great location.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2013

We booked here for a Saturday night as we were going to a concert at the O2 in Leeds, we checked in mid afternoon and were offered a complimentary glass of wine to take to our room.

We managed to park a little bit further down the street which was only a couple of quid for the 24 hours we needed (cheaper than the NCP if you can find a space, but we found a space on a saturday afternoon, so can't imagine it's that difficult any other time).

I had upgraded from the standard room and we had a very nice spacious room, bed had a very thick mattress topper on it which was extremely comfortable (even though the sheets didn't tuck in because of it ... would look better if they invested in some proper 'deep' fitted sheets!). Complimentary homemade biscuits, mini boxes of smarties, bottle of water and sweets in our room as well.
Staff were extremely helpful and friendly - got back from the concert and realised that someone had been in our room (straightened towels, folded the end of the toilet roll into a V again and more importantly replenished the boxes of smarties) ... however, this was very disconcerting as we hadn't been informed about the 'turn-down' service, and to be honest I didn't like the thought of someone being in our room when we were out, especially when we hadn't been told about it, we would have opted to 'turn-down' our own bed if given the choice.
We got back just after midnight, were on the third floor and found it quite noisy for a while - we realised the next day that there are a couple of clubs very near by, but that presumably is the price you pay for being located so close to the city centre. We took a taxi to the O2 (it was raining!) which was about £5, reception organised this for us and were very obliging in all requests.
Can't fault our room at all, everything was very clean and not at all 'tired' - all in all, it's a very nice hotel, and we wouldn't hesitate to go back.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
MissHelenBradshaw, Operation Manager at 42 The Calls, responded to this review, 12 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

All of your feed back is very much appreciated and has been discussed with all the team members.

I do hope to welcome you back to 42 The Calls in the near future.

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night as a treat for his birthday. I wanted somewhere centrally located which was luxurious but a bit different. As a converted corn mill, there is character in abundance and our 3rd floor Director room, which overlooked the river, was spacious and had gorgeous original windows and exposed beams. We stayed here on a Friday night, and commented that we couldn't believe how quiet it was for a city centre location - we had one window open all night - the quiet was occasionally punctuated by quacking ducks or a riverboat chugging by, but that was mostly it! We did wander over to the Brewery Wharf bars/ restaurants on the other side of the river from the hotel, and found these to be absolutely dead - maybe the noise is worse during summer months when people are looking for somewhere scenic to drink outdoors? The room was well appointed although the carpet was looking a little threadbare, and the bathroom was a bit tired, with a bit of a hotch potch of toiletries bolted to the walls, which I didn't feel matched the price we had paid for the accommodation and didn't create an air of luxury. Our room had a kingsize bed, but unfortunately this was just two, very hard, single beds pushed together, which was a bit disappointing and I have had to knock a star off my review for this. But we still slept OK, and woke to one of the best breakfasts we've had in a hotel recently, in the beautiful River Room. I can recommend the home made waffles, and my husband enjoyed his sausages! Things I'd like to change? There was no safe in the room for valuables, despite the copious cupboard space. We had to use the hotel safe, but only the manager has access to the code - so if you were to put valuables into the safe and return late evening after a night out you might have to wait until the morning to retrieve your valuables. And I would like to have been asked if I'd wanted the turn down service when we checked in. Not keen on people going in the room when we aren't around. Other things you may like to know: The Markets NCP car park is nearest (maybe 2 minutes walk away). It's 4 minutes walk (cutting through the Market) to the Victoria Quarter and shops. A taxi to Headingley Stadium cost £8 each way.

Room Tip: River view rooms tend to be quieter, but could be noisier in the summer months due to noise from nea...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
MissHelenBradshaw, Operations Manager at 42 The Calls, responded to this review, 12 June 2013
Thank you for your review.

The team and I are delighted that overall you enjoyed your stay.

I was concerned to read your comments regarding your bed and please accept my apologies for this.

We do have a number of zip and link beds within the hotel to accommodate twin occupancy, however once zipped to a double, you should not be able to feel the divide.

I do hope to welcome you to the hotel in the future.

Huddersfield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2013

I stayed at 42 The Calls on a Friday evening with my partner and we were really pleasantly surprised as soon as we arrived. The hotel is in a great location near the canal in the Calls area of Leeds. The front entrance and reception area are quite quirky with some really original features. There is also a lot of charm handed down from the building's industrial history.

We were greeted upon arrival with a complementary glass of wine which was a really nice touch (it was lovely wine too). Our room was well equipped and comfortable and there was a really useful hotel guide in the room with restaurant recommendations and tips to help you get the most out of your stay. For example, the guide states that the hotel has a link with the Pure Gym across the road which is useful if you like to get some exercise in when staying away from home (rates for this are very reasonable too).

There were also lots of little touches which made our stay special, for example there was a turn down service with complementary (chocolate) Smarties in the evening, fudge sweets were included in the room, mineral water was provided free of charge, there were good quality toileteries in the bathroom, lovely soft bath robes etc...

The bed was really comfortable with beautifully soft pillows and super soft duvet. The shower was also great (plenty of water from a large shower head). We also noticed that local producers / small companies were used to provide things like bedroom coffee and biscuits which was a nice touch.

We had a great night's sleep and there was hardly any noise from outside audible from within the room (we were on the 2nd floor). Breakfast the next morning was fantastic (I had kippers with scrambed eggs) and there was also a lovely buffet with exotic fruit, a wide range of cereals and lots of other specially selected products (not to mention the large choice of breakfast sausages!). Suffice to say it is clear to see that a lot of effort has gone into making the breakfast experience (& the hotel stay in general) original and special and it really shows. This place is well worth a visit and we will definitely be returning very soon. We are really pleased to have come across this place.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your 5/5 review.

I am thrilled you enjoyed your time with us and that you will be back for another visit soon.

I see you noticed that we source a lot of products locally or make items, such as out shortbread, on site, it is important to us to support local businesses and we love all of our Yorkshire produce from the sausages, to the vast range of jams and marmalades.

St Albans
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2013

It's always nice to stay somewhere different from the usual soulless chain hotels, and 42 The Calls has bags of charm. Anywhere that offers you a glass of wine before you've even checked in is alright by me. My room was really nice and the bed very comfortable (though I'm not sure I cared that it was hand-made). The bathroom was a little tired and the shower was pretty weak. And what's with the idea of putting a soap dispenser above the bath but no soap by the basin? Finally on the complaints list, the wifi was really slow.
But thanks to hotels.com I paid less than I would have for the Marriott and I'd rather be at 42 The Calls any day.
Monday evening the area round was pretty dead, but i was only 10 mins walk into a much more lively restauranty area

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
MissHelenBradshaw, Operations Manager at 42 The Calls, responded to this review, 8 May 2013
Thank you for your review.

It was lovely to read that you think 42 The Calls has bags of charm and you had a comfortable stay overall.

I was concerned to read that you did not have any soap for your basin; our frog shaped soaps are placed in every room, so please accept my apologies if this was not the case.

I do hope we can welcome you to the hotel again soon.

Anlaby
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2013

I booked this online and stayed here for one night prior to a meeting in Leeds. I called the hotel from the airport and asked for directions to the NCP car park with which they have a special 24 hour rate. Charlotte answered, was very pleasant and gave me clear, concise instructions which were spot on. I was greeted warmly and after checking in, offered a complimentary glass of wine to take to my room.
The rooms are individually decorated and are very comfortable. I would say that some of the décor and furnishings are a little tired however they were acceptable. I had requested a room overlooking the river and this is what I got. I had a great night's sleep in a very comfortable bed.
Although I didn't use it, the hotel has an 'honesty bar' - you help yourself to drinks and complete a slip and the cost is added to your final bill.
I ate out in the evening and when I returned, enquired about breakfast. Charlotte told me the times and took the trouble to show me exactly where the breakfast room was. The breakfast was cooked to order (no fumbling through a buffet) and was excellent.
The hotel is very individual in style, is in a great location for many local attractions and the city centre shops. I would thoroughly recommend it for both business and private travellers.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
MissHelenBradshaw, Operations Manager at 42 The Calls, responded to this review, 6 May 2013
Thank you for your review.

I was thrilled to read that Charlotte took great care to direct you to the hotel and explained the facilities to you.

We do like to make you feel very welcome when you come to stay at 42 The Calls and as well as the warm greeting we do think a nice glass of wine goes down well, especially if you have had a long journey.

I do hope to see you on your next visit to Leeds.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

Hasn't been renovated in many years. Only stayed one night thank goodness. Tired hotel past its heyday. Everything has seen better days but the rate was reasonable so not too bothered. Noise outside was appalling at 4.30am with drunks and we were a river view on third floor. It needs so much doing to it and now it's gone into administration not sure it will happen unless a big chain takes it over.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank babybuny
I was so sorry to read of your disappointment regarding your recent stay with us.

We have started a refurbishment programme in the hotel which commenced with the public areas that were completed at the latter part of 2012 and we plan to move forward with this refurbishment in to the bedrooms later this year.

Please accept my apologies for the external noise you experienced, obviously had we been made aware of this at the time we could have investigated further in to this matter.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

Have stayed here lots of times and the friendly efficient service is superb. Breakfast in the room is lovely and always delicious. The rooms at the back can sometimes have a little bit of noise when people pass over the canal bridge going home but nothing to worry about.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Thank you for writing a review of your recent stay.

As a repeat customer it is lovely to see that you always enjoy your time with us and find the team, friendly with an efficient service.

We look forward to your next visit.