“Can't fault it ... lovely hotel for a weekend break”
Review of 42 The Calls

42 The Calls
Ranked #43 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Stayed here at the weekend, picked this hotel based on alot of favourable reviews on tripadvisor.

We really enjoyed our stay, there are cheaper options out there but we wanted something a bit different ... and also smaller so not full of huge hen and stag do's which frequent all city centres on a weekend ! Nothing against hen / stags btw !

Jessica was extremely helpful when i originally made the booking and also greeted us on arrival (with a glass of wine ... i could get used to that !). We had a Directors room with river view, it was a decent size and was lovely to see they had tried to retain some of the original features. It wasnt the absolute best room we've ever stayed in, nor did it have the flashiest bathroom / shower etc but it was very nice and they seemed to have thought of everything. Love the little touches like the fudge and the frog soaps ! What i will say is the bed was SO comfortable, actually probably one of the most comfortable ive slept in at a hotel. Really did sleep like a log !

There was some music on accross at the Tetleys wharf area and in the afternoon it was really pounding, but thankfully it did finish early. Despite the hotel being in an up and coming area for bars and restaurants its fairly quiet at night compared to some locations (we saw the malmaison and that really is in the thick of it and i'd imagine noisy at night). OK we had a river view room but it was very quiet when we went to bed, and we slept with the window open. Was lovely and tranquil the next morning.

Mini bar in the room is reasonable prices. Theres also an honesty bar (again not a rip off) which is a nice touch. Breakfast was lovely, very filling, the sausage menu great idea. Was a lovely breakfast room overlooking the river.

All in all we found this hotel to be excellent on the service front, very comfortable and a great location (its only 5 mins to the shops !). Ate at Brasserie 44 next door but will do seperate review for that.

Would definately return and highly reccomend !

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
MissHelenBradshaw, Operations Manager at 42 The Calls, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2013

Thank you for your lovely review.

It was so nice to read you appreciated different aspects of the hotel and I am especially pleased that you mentioned Jessica's service, as she has only been with the reception team a short time.

We always try to be that little bit different offering wine on arrival, 12 different sausages at breakfast and our much loved frog shaped soaps.

I am delighted that you will return and will be recommending us to other.

Reviewed 30 June 2013

what a welcome to come into the hotel to a lovely welcome and and an offer of a complemantary drink. it is in a prime location so it could be noisy, but the first thing i got was an apology for the music as there is a concert near by but it finished at 9 which i appreciate that they told me. the decor is lovely and homely.

Room Tip: room 321 is lovely but its a small t.v. and can be noisy compared to other rooms in the building
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your review.

I am pleased you were impressed with the welcome you received and that the receptionist mentioned the Waterfront Festival to you.

We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 20 June 2013

Having been disappointed with not being able to visit another hotel, 42 The Calls was not our first choice. However, it will be in future! Having not stayed before, I was unsure what to expect, and so emailed the hotel with various questions, which they promptly responded to - an excellent first impression! The hotel was absolutely stunning, Charlotte on reception was absolutely lovely, couldn't have wished for better service! Working in a similar career myself, I knew what to look for, and everything exceeded my expectations. The room was gorgeous, not to mention the cheeky glass of wine on arrival (not usually a wine-drinker, but it was lovely after a long day travelling)! Unfortunately, we never got to try the breakfast facilities, but we will be next time for sure, the mere smell of it was inviting enough! Me and my boyfriend were visiting as we were seeing a musical in the area and also as an early birthday celebration for myself, and the hotel was simply the icing on the cake, honestly.
Couldn't recommend the hotel more if I tried. Just amazing. Thank you to all we met there.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for posting such a lovely review.

It is always nice to read such great comments about the hotel and the team, Charlotte is especially pleased with her personal mention.

Do make sure you come to breakfast on your next stay, we offer a number of offers and packages that include breakfast and the team will be happy to talk you through these if you like.

Reviewed 18 June 2013

I've stayed at the Calls many times on my business trips to Leeds and love the uniqueness of the Hotel and the warmth the hotel offers. The staff were outstanding! Professional and at the same time very polite and friendly.

The suites are beautifully decorated and if you can get a suite overlooking the canal you won't be disappointed. They had all the amenities that you need as a guest and business person. They even thought of an international adapter that came in very handy. Service outstanding and experience exceptional.

I would certainly recommend this lovely Hotel to vacationers and business people.

Room Tip: All rooms are great but any facing the canal I prefer.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for such a wonderful review.

The team and I are thrilled that you love the uniqueness and warmth of the hotel and feel the team are outstanding.

As a regular business guest I am glad that you keep coming back and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 13 June 2013

We stayed here for four nights and I wish it would have been much longer. We will be back to enjoy this lovely hotel and wonderful city. The Staff went out of there way to be helpful and friendly. I hurt my ankle during out stay and the the staff brought me ice bags and inquired about doctors, if needed. We stayed in a FABULOUS ROOM - overlooking the canal. Do not hesitate in booking this hotel. It is one of the best I have ever stayed at. The is water, cookies and fudge in the rooms at all times.

Room Tip: Room 106 is an amazing large room looking right onto the canal.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your 5/5 review.

I am delighted you enjoyed your 4 night stay with us and thought your room was fabulous.

The team and I do hope your ankle has fully healed and I am glad we were able to help make you more comfortable by providing ice packs.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit to Leeds.

Reviewed 11 June 2013 via mobile

We stayed here as a special treat just for the night (even though we actually live in Leeds). A friend recommended it and I have to say I've recommended it to as many people as possible since our stay. Great decor, atmosphere and service. Our room had a beautiful view of the river and really made out anniversary special. Thanks 42 The Calls - see you again soon!

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Matt_Man12

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

We love a celebration at 42 so I am delighted you chose to stay with us for your anniversary and have recommended us having enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to seeing you again too.

Reviewed 10 June 2013

Is it me or are the hotels in Leeds often quite dark? Anyway The Calls was nice and light and airy and we enjoyed our one night stay here. Staff were helpful in storing bags and calling taxis etc and unlocking the door when we stayed out late. Clean, comfortable and in a good position for Call Lane, Corn Exchange etc.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for posting your review.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that you found the team to be helpful.

The team and I look forward to welcoming you back to 42 The Calls.