“Everything a good hotel should be”
Review of 42 The Calls

42 The Calls
Ranked #43 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
London
“Everything a good hotel should be”
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Excellent from start to finish. Welcoming, friendly receptionist, spotless, large, comfortable rooms. A joy to stay in. Convenient for the city centre shops. Nice cosy bar area. Would make this my first hotel of choice next time I stay in Leeds.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
MissHelenBradshaw, Operations Manager at 42 The Calls, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Thank you for your 5/5 review.

I am delighted that you had such an excellent stay and we will be your first choice for Leeds.

Your praise for the hotel and team are much appreciated and we all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
huddersfield
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I recently booked to stay at 42 The Calls for my birthday last weekend, we were greeted at reception by a member of staff who took payment etc. I was told 'we usually have a glass of wine for guests but we haven't got any glasses (providing the bar is next door) but we will send two up to your room'. However, an hour went by and we still did not receive them, I would usually say something but we were due to go out at 7.30pm and it was now 7pm.

As we returned from an evening meal, the doors to the hotel were locked and we were not informed of another way to enter. We had to knock a few times to get the attention of a security guard stood in reception, he said 'yes the main doors are locked at 10pm on a Saturday night'.

During the night, there was continuous loud noise outside, obviously this is expected as it is a busy street BUT the windows did not shut properly. If this room was situated on a main street, you would have thought that they would try to block out as much noise as possible, this was not the case and I spent a lot of time awake through the night...all in all... a horrible nights sleep which was meant to be relaxing and enjoyable.

We were then unaware of what time we had to check out by, so we guessed and left at around 11am.

I have stayed in many hotels similar to this, but never have I received such bad service and I didn't enjoy my stay.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rachel h
Thank you for your review.

I was concerned to read your comments regarding your stay and please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused.

I am sorry that you did not receive your welcome wine; I have addressed this with the reception team to ensure this does not happen again.

Our check in, as well check out times are detailed on the booking confirmation that is sent prior to arrival and we do have a guest directory within the bedrooms that has information on other areas of the hotel and services.

I am sorry that we did not have the opportunity to speak with you before your departure regarding your disappointment.

Birkenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We finally got the chance to stay here for a concert on Friday & glad we did. The reception staff are really friendly, no problem with checking into our room & the glass of wine at check in was a nice extra.
The hotel is very clean with a strange layout, after walking down the narrow hallway in our room i wasn't expecting the big bedroom at the end, the bed was huge & really comfortable, we stayed in room 211 overlooking the canal & although the room was warm as it was sunny day it cooled down to allow a decent nights sleep & wasn't too noisy with people going over the bridge.
The bathroom was really nice, again much bigger than I had expected & spotlessly clean. The room had everything we could of needed for our stay. It was nice to return to the room at the end of the night to the curtains all closed, lights on & free smarties on the bed..

Location is ideal for walking into the town center & the secure NCP car park is only a 5min walk away as the parking on the street outside the hotel was short stay.

Would definitely stay here again when in Leeds.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am glad you finally got to stay with us and after enjoying your stay you will definitely return.

Our housekeeping team work very hard and really appreciate your comments regarding the cleanliness and turndown service.

We all look forward to seeing you on your next Leeds visit.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

We had two choices - window open and get too much noise to sleep or window closed and it be too hot to sleep.

Not being able to sleep was really disappointing because apart from that it's a nice hotel with a comfy bed and a decent bathroom. Alas, needing to sleep is pretty crucial. May try again in winter but not in summer.

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for your review.

Having found your bed comfortable and liking the hotel, I was concerned to read that due to the hot weather and external noise you were unable to sleep.

If you do stay again in the summer months we would be happy to provide you with a fan.

I do hope we will see you again very soon.

SALTBURN BY THE SEA
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Sent to wrong room. Small rooms. Bathroom taps spurt out (hot) Wifi didn't work
Noisy room overlooking a brick wall

TV has very limited channels
For the price expected a lot more.
Won't be staying again. The glass of wine at reception was a nice touch. A bribe to make you stay May be !!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Joan I
Thank you for your review.

I was concerned to read your comments regarding your stay and please accept my apologies for an inconvenience caused.

All feedback is important to us, but had you made the manager on duty aware of your concerns at the time they would have been able to assist you.

Reviewed 27 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed here as an anniversary treat. The hotel is a great location for Leeds centre as it's only 2 mins away from lots of bars/restaurants. The room we had was quiet but overlooked a busy street from a 2nd floor which I can imagine could be noisy at weekends. Check in was a breeze and a glass of wine was a very nice touch! The room was very pleasant if not looking a little worn & dated, it's due a refresh in my opinion. Bed is very soft, I usually prefer a firm mattress but I slept well so I'm not complaining! Overall a great stay & I would definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for review.

We love a celebration here at 42 The Calls so it was great to see that you stayed with us as an anniversary treat and think we are an excellent boutique hotel.

The team and I would love to have you stay with us again.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2013

42 The Calls. A small boutique hotel very close to the centre of Leeds. Situated on a quite road, the building is a superb conversion of a historic warehouse overlooking the canal running through the centre of the city. Everyone of the bedrooms is of a unique design and layout. The bedrooms are tastefully decorated each with their own high quality bathrooms. Communal space is limited. Only breakfast is available in the hotel. The breakfast is top notch with a remarkable selection of sausages to choose from. Service is discrete and efficient. A polite request to turn off the piped music in the breakfast room was readily agreed to without fuss. There are a number of eateries within a few minutes’ walk of the hotel. If you are arriving by train the walk from the station is about 7 minutes along some dingy alleyways and steep stairs – best to catch a taxi. There is no car park.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for posting your review.

It was lovely to read your comments regarding the building and decor.

Our chef Nigel is delighted with your comments regarding the breakfast which he has been cooking for many years.

We look forward to your return visit.