“An easy 5/5” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #37 of 86 Hotels in Leeds
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
“An easy 5/5”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

Myself and my girlfriend stayed at 42 The Calls in mid September. Upon arrival I was blown away not only with the wonderful interior but also by the helpfulness and politeness of the staff ... not to forget the complimentary glass of wine.

The room was perfect. It was warm, clean and very well presented. The staff had kept a bottle of champagne I ordered on ice upon our arrival in the room and lay rose petals on the bed (as requested) in a beautiful fashion. The room was overlooking the Canal and the Leeds cityscape which at night time was just stunning.

We stayed on a busy Saturday night (like any Saturday in Leeds) and had no issues with noise. In the morning we requested to extend our leaving period by a couple of hours and the staff were happy to help and grant our wishes.

I would not hesitate to recommend 42 The Calls to anyone. In fact me and my girlfriend loved it so much we plan to stay at least once a year.

An easy 5/5

Room Tip: So long as you overlook the Canal your onto a winner!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MissHelenBradshaw, Operations Manager at 42 The Calls, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Thank you for your 5/5 rating.

Your glowing review has certainly put a lot of smiles on faces.

The team and I are thrilled that you had such a brilliant stay and will be back.

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Barnsley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

My husband & I stayed here for our wedding anniversary and although it was nice tbh I wished we'd booked the the hotel we were looking at. It was quite dated in the rooms & corridors also was really warm we had to ask for a fan.
I'm not saying its bog standard as to me that's a travel lodge but it also wasn't somewhere I'd say to my friends 'you really should stay there'.
It was just ok really nothing special which was a shame.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for posting your review.

Although you thought the hotel was nice, I was disappointed to read that having stayed for your wedding anniversary you were not completely satisfied with your stay.

I would obviously like for you to return and if you do, please contact me directly so I can personally oversee your reservation.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

Excellent from start to finish. Welcoming, friendly receptionist, spotless, large, comfortable rooms. A joy to stay in. Convenient for the city centre shops. Nice cosy bar area. Would make this my first hotel of choice next time I stay in Leeds.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your 5/5 review.

I am delighted that you had such an excellent stay and we will be your first choice for Leeds.

Your praise for the hotel and team are much appreciated and we all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

huddersfield
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

I recently booked to stay at 42 The Calls for my birthday last weekend, we were greeted at reception by a member of staff who took payment etc. I was told 'we usually have a glass of wine for guests but we haven't got any glasses (providing the bar is next door) but we will send two up to your room'. However, an hour went by and we still did not receive them, I would usually say something but we were due to go out at 7.30pm and it was now 7pm.

As we returned from an evening meal, the doors to the hotel were locked and we were not informed of another way to enter. We had to knock a few times to get the attention of a security guard stood in reception, he said 'yes the main doors are locked at 10pm on a Saturday night'.

During the night, there was continuous loud noise outside, obviously this is expected as it is a busy street BUT the windows did not shut properly. If this room was situated on a main street, you would have thought that they would try to block out as much noise as possible, this was not the case and I spent a lot of time awake through the night...all in all... a horrible nights sleep which was meant to be relaxing and enjoyable.

We were then unaware of what time we had to check out by, so we guessed and left at around 11am.

I have stayed in many hotels similar to this, but never have I received such bad service and I didn't enjoy my stay.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rachel h
Thank you for your review.

I was concerned to read your comments regarding your stay and please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused.

I am sorry that you did not receive your welcome wine; I have addressed this with the reception team to ensure this does not happen again.

Our check in, as well check out times are detailed on the booking confirmation that is sent prior to arrival and we do have a guest directory within the bedrooms that has information on other areas of the hotel and services.

I am sorry that we did not have the opportunity to speak with you before your departure regarding your disappointment.

Birkenhead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

We finally got the chance to stay here for a concert on Friday & glad we did. The reception staff are really friendly, no problem with checking into our room & the glass of wine at check in was a nice extra.
The hotel is very clean with a strange layout, after walking down the narrow hallway in our room i wasn't expecting the big bedroom at the end, the bed was huge & really comfortable, we stayed in room 211 overlooking the canal & although the room was warm as it was sunny day it cooled down to allow a decent nights sleep & wasn't too noisy with people going over the bridge.
The bathroom was really nice, again much bigger than I had expected & spotlessly clean. The room had everything we could of needed for our stay. It was nice to return to the room at the end of the night to the curtains all closed, lights on & free smarties on the bed..

Location is ideal for walking into the town center & the secure NCP car park is only a 5min walk away as the parking on the street outside the hotel was short stay.

Would definitely stay here again when in Leeds.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am glad you finally got to stay with us and after enjoying your stay you will definitely return.

Our housekeeping team work very hard and really appreciate your comments regarding the cleanliness and turndown service.

We all look forward to seeing you on your next Leeds visit.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

We had two choices - window open and get too much noise to sleep or window closed and it be too hot to sleep.

Not being able to sleep was really disappointing because apart from that it's a nice hotel with a comfy bed and a decent bathroom. Alas, needing to sleep is pretty crucial. May try again in winter but not in summer.

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for your review.

Having found your bed comfortable and liking the hotel, I was concerned to read that due to the hot weather and external noise you were unable to sleep.

If you do stay again in the summer months we would be happy to provide you with a fan.

I do hope we will see you again very soon.

SALTBURN BY THE SEA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

Sent to wrong room. Small rooms. Bathroom taps spurt out (hot) Wifi didn't work
Noisy room overlooking a brick wall

TV has very limited channels
For the price expected a lot more.
Won't be staying again. The glass of wine at reception was a nice touch. A bribe to make you stay May be !!

• Stayed September 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Joan I
Thank you for your review.

I was concerned to read your comments regarding your stay and please accept my apologies for an inconvenience caused.

All feedback is important to us, but had you made the manager on duty aware of your concerns at the time they would have been able to assist you.