“Average Hotel needs updating”
Review of 42 The Calls

42 The Calls
Ranked #43 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I stayed for one night for business - an executive room booked through hotels.com for £140 room only.
Pros:
Glass of wine on check-in is a nice touch - I don't drink wine and was kindly offered a beer instead
Smarties and hand-made biscuits in the room appreciated, as was good selection of drinks on tea tray
Beds are very comfortable and executive rooms is spacious with good views over the river

Cons:
Rooms are starting to look dated and tired - old TV with poor selection of channels (most not working)
'Free' wifi is slow to the point of useless
Breakfast is expensive - another £20 on top of already high room fee
Parking in the local area of the hotel is a real hassle (not much they can do about it, however)

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
MissHelenBradshaw, Operations Manager at 42 The Calls, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Thank you for posting a review of your stay.

Having found your bed comfortable and enjoying some of the added extras I was concerned to read your other comments.

I am sorry that you had issues with the Wi-Fi during your stay, a maintenance issue with the Wi-Fi was detected and a technician has since been on site and rectified this.

We are in the process of updating the TV's and system and hope to have this completed in the near future.

I do hope you will consider staying with us again.

There are newer reviews for 42 The Calls

Reviewed 8 October 2013

Myself and my partner stayed in this hotel at the start of October. It's a lovely looking hotel with lots of period features and beautiful decor. The location is fantastic (it was noisy on the Saturday night but in the middle of Leeds that's expected!). The staff were nice and friendly and even brought our complementary wine to our room. My only issue was that the room wasn't particularly well cleaned. We noticed on arrival that there was a used room service tray in the hatch in our room covered in food which had not been removed prior to our arrival. The sink wasn't very clean, and the shower/bath was completely blocked, so much so that we had to use a ear bud to ferret in the drain to remove the hair and hair bobble blocking it. Generally I'm not too fussy about such things but a draining shower would have been nice. Other than that the stay was very pleasant.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review.

Having had a pleasant stay and finding the staff helpful I was concerned to read your comments.

There are procedures in place to ensure the privacy hatches are cleared during and after a guest departure so I am sorry that this was not the case for yours. I have spoken to the kitchen and porter team to ensure that this does not happen again.

Our housekeeping team do work hard to ensure rooms are clean so I was shocked with regards to the two areas you mentioned. I am sure had you made a call to reception one of the housekeepers would have gone back to your room straight away to rectify this.

I do hope the team and I will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

Myself and my girlfriend stayed at 42 The Calls in mid September. Upon arrival I was blown away not only with the wonderful interior but also by the helpfulness and politeness of the staff ... not to forget the complimentary glass of wine.

The room was perfect. It was warm, clean and very well presented. The staff had kept a bottle of champagne I ordered on ice upon our arrival in the room and lay rose petals on the bed (as requested) in a beautiful fashion. The room was overlooking the Canal and the Leeds cityscape which at night time was just stunning.

We stayed on a busy Saturday night (like any Saturday in Leeds) and had no issues with noise. In the morning we requested to extend our leaving period by a couple of hours and the staff were happy to help and grant our wishes.

I would not hesitate to recommend 42 The Calls to anyone. In fact me and my girlfriend loved it so much we plan to stay at least once a year.

An easy 5/5

Room Tip: So long as you overlook the Canal your onto a winner!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your 5/5 rating.

Your glowing review has certainly put a lot of smiles on faces.

The team and I are thrilled that you had such a brilliant stay and will be back.

Reviewed 5 October 2013

My husband & I stayed here for our wedding anniversary and although it was nice tbh I wished we'd booked the the hotel we were looking at. It was quite dated in the rooms & corridors also was really warm we had to ask for a fan.
I'm not saying its bog standard as to me that's a travel lodge but it also wasn't somewhere I'd say to my friends 'you really should stay there'.
It was just ok really nothing special which was a shame.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for posting your review.

Although you thought the hotel was nice, I was disappointed to read that having stayed for your wedding anniversary you were not completely satisfied with your stay.

I would obviously like for you to return and if you do, please contact me directly so I can personally oversee your reservation.

Reviewed 3 October 2013

Excellent from start to finish. Welcoming, friendly receptionist, spotless, large, comfortable rooms. A joy to stay in. Convenient for the city centre shops. Nice cosy bar area. Would make this my first hotel of choice next time I stay in Leeds.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for your 5/5 review.

I am delighted that you had such an excellent stay and we will be your first choice for Leeds.

Your praise for the hotel and team are much appreciated and we all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 2 October 2013

I recently booked to stay at 42 The Calls for my birthday last weekend, we were greeted at reception by a member of staff who took payment etc. I was told 'we usually have a glass of wine for guests but we haven't got any glasses (providing the bar is next door) but we will send two up to your room'. However, an hour went by and we still did not receive them, I would usually say something but we were due to go out at 7.30pm and it was now 7pm.

As we returned from an evening meal, the doors to the hotel were locked and we were not informed of another way to enter. We had to knock a few times to get the attention of a security guard stood in reception, he said 'yes the main doors are locked at 10pm on a Saturday night'.

During the night, there was continuous loud noise outside, obviously this is expected as it is a busy street BUT the windows did not shut properly. If this room was situated on a main street, you would have thought that they would try to block out as much noise as possible, this was not the case and I spent a lot of time awake through the night...all in all... a horrible nights sleep which was meant to be relaxing and enjoyable.

We were then unaware of what time we had to check out by, so we guessed and left at around 11am.

I have stayed in many hotels similar to this, but never have I received such bad service and I didn't enjoy my stay.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank rachel h

Thank you for your review.

I was concerned to read your comments regarding your stay and please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused.

I am sorry that you did not receive your welcome wine; I have addressed this with the reception team to ensure this does not happen again.

Our check in, as well check out times are detailed on the booking confirmation that is sent prior to arrival and we do have a guest directory within the bedrooms that has information on other areas of the hotel and services.

I am sorry that we did not have the opportunity to speak with you before your departure regarding your disappointment.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

We finally got the chance to stay here for a concert on Friday & glad we did. The reception staff are really friendly, no problem with checking into our room & the glass of wine at check in was a nice extra.
The hotel is very clean with a strange layout, after walking down the narrow hallway in our room i wasn't expecting the big bedroom at the end, the bed was huge & really comfortable, we stayed in room 211 overlooking the canal & although the room was warm as it was sunny day it cooled down to allow a decent nights sleep & wasn't too noisy with people going over the bridge.
The bathroom was really nice, again much bigger than I had expected & spotlessly clean. The room had everything we could of needed for our stay. It was nice to return to the room at the end of the night to the curtains all closed, lights on & free smarties on the bed..

Location is ideal for walking into the town center & the secure NCP car park is only a 5min walk away as the parking on the street outside the hotel was short stay.

Would definitely stay here again when in Leeds.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am glad you finally got to stay with us and after enjoying your stay you will definitely return.

Our housekeeping team work very hard and really appreciate your comments regarding the cleanliness and turndown service.

We all look forward to seeing you on your next Leeds visit.