“One night stay”

Ranked #43 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Tyne and wear
“One night stay”
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

We checked in Saturday afternoon, check in quick and friendly, first impressions of room (217) was very good, closer inspection was the decor and silicon in bathroom need updating, TV was some type of computer system and monitor popped out of wardrobe (it's 2013 everyone has a flat screen tv on wall) there was a honesty bar in the hotel that was used, drinks were priced ok but don't buy bottled water £7 a bottle. Breakfast was v.good and check out was equally fast and hassle free, quilt and pillows were to die for and bed was v.comfy.
The noise from front street was a pain up until about 4am, if you can ask for river facing room. Overall would I stay again. YES

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
MissHelenBradshaw, Operations Manager at 42 The Calls, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Thank you for your review.

I am glad that overall you would return to 42 The Calls.

We are currently in the process of updating the TV's and system as part of our refurbishment scheme, however we do not have a completion date for this, but in the meantime if you ask the reservations team they will be happy to allocate you a room with a larger TV.

I was very shocked that you thought the bottled water in the bar was £7.00 a bottle, I have checked the tariff in the bar and it states the correct price of £2.75 for a small bottle of still or sparkling mineral water or £4.75 for a large bottle so I am unsure where you have seen this price.

Thank you for informing me of your room number as I have asked the maintenance team to look at the silicone in the bathroom area to see if we can re silicone where needed.

Operation Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Wimbledon
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Best nights sleep I have in a hotel for a long time. All staff were very polite and the breakfast was yummy
If traveling by train and have luggage better to get a taxi from the station. There is a pub two doors along from the hotel which very nice as well called the Landings

• Stayed October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am glad that you had such a great night’s sleep whilst staying with us and found the team polite.

They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day so it was great to read that you found ours yummy.

The team and I look forward to your future visits.

Kind regard

London
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I stayed for one night for business - an executive room booked through hotels.com for £140 room only.
Pros:
Glass of wine on check-in is a nice touch - I don't drink wine and was kindly offered a beer instead
Smarties and hand-made biscuits in the room appreciated, as was good selection of drinks on tea tray
Beds are very comfortable and executive rooms is spacious with good views over the river

Cons:
Rooms are starting to look dated and tired - old TV with poor selection of channels (most not working)
'Free' wifi is slow to the point of useless
Breakfast is expensive - another £20 on top of already high room fee
Parking in the local area of the hotel is a real hassle (not much they can do about it, however)

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for posting a review of your stay.

Having found your bed comfortable and enjoying some of the added extras I was concerned to read your other comments.

I am sorry that you had issues with the Wi-Fi during your stay, a maintenance issue with the Wi-Fi was detected and a technician has since been on site and rectified this.

We are in the process of updating the TV's and system and hope to have this completed in the near future.

I do hope you will consider staying with us again.

Sutton in Ashfield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Myself and my partner stayed in this hotel at the start of October. It's a lovely looking hotel with lots of period features and beautiful decor. The location is fantastic (it was noisy on the Saturday night but in the middle of Leeds that's expected!). The staff were nice and friendly and even brought our complementary wine to our room. My only issue was that the room wasn't particularly well cleaned. We noticed on arrival that there was a used room service tray in the hatch in our room covered in food which had not been removed prior to our arrival. The sink wasn't very clean, and the shower/bath was completely blocked, so much so that we had to use a ear bud to ferret in the drain to remove the hair and hair bobble blocking it. Generally I'm not too fussy about such things but a draining shower would have been nice. Other than that the stay was very pleasant.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review.

Having had a pleasant stay and finding the staff helpful I was concerned to read your comments.

There are procedures in place to ensure the privacy hatches are cleared during and after a guest departure so I am sorry that this was not the case for yours. I have spoken to the kitchen and porter team to ensure that this does not happen again.

Our housekeeping team do work hard to ensure rooms are clean so I was shocked with regards to the two areas you mentioned. I am sure had you made a call to reception one of the housekeepers would have gone back to your room straight away to rectify this.

I do hope the team and I will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Myself and my girlfriend stayed at 42 The Calls in mid September. Upon arrival I was blown away not only with the wonderful interior but also by the helpfulness and politeness of the staff ... not to forget the complimentary glass of wine.

The room was perfect. It was warm, clean and very well presented. The staff had kept a bottle of champagne I ordered on ice upon our arrival in the room and lay rose petals on the bed (as requested) in a beautiful fashion. The room was overlooking the Canal and the Leeds cityscape which at night time was just stunning.

We stayed on a busy Saturday night (like any Saturday in Leeds) and had no issues with noise. In the morning we requested to extend our leaving period by a couple of hours and the staff were happy to help and grant our wishes.

I would not hesitate to recommend 42 The Calls to anyone. In fact me and my girlfriend loved it so much we plan to stay at least once a year.

An easy 5/5

Room Tip: So long as you overlook the Canal your onto a winner!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your 5/5 rating.

Your glowing review has certainly put a lot of smiles on faces.

The team and I are thrilled that you had such a brilliant stay and will be back.

Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

My husband & I stayed here for our wedding anniversary and although it was nice tbh I wished we'd booked the the hotel we were looking at. It was quite dated in the rooms & corridors also was really warm we had to ask for a fan.
I'm not saying its bog standard as to me that's a travel lodge but it also wasn't somewhere I'd say to my friends 'you really should stay there'.
It was just ok really nothing special which was a shame.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for posting your review.

Although you thought the hotel was nice, I was disappointed to read that having stayed for your wedding anniversary you were not completely satisfied with your stay.

I would obviously like for you to return and if you do, please contact me directly so I can personally oversee your reservation.

London
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Excellent from start to finish. Welcoming, friendly receptionist, spotless, large, comfortable rooms. A joy to stay in. Convenient for the city centre shops. Nice cosy bar area. Would make this my first hotel of choice next time I stay in Leeds.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Thank you for your 5/5 review.

I am delighted that you had such an excellent stay and we will be your first choice for Leeds.

Your praise for the hotel and team are much appreciated and we all look forward to welcoming you back soon.