“Lovely boutique hotel, dog friendly!”
Review of 42 The Calls

42 The Calls
Ranked #39 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Lovely boutique hotel, dog friendly!”
Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed with my mum whilst visiting Leeds for an interview. Good value for money. Room immaculately clean and very well equipped. Lovely comfy bed and really nice bed linen. Only criticism was that even with our windows open it was boiling hot (a warm October, unusual for Leeds!). The reception staff were really friendly and the wine on arrival was a nice touch ( although could have been a bit colder!). I took my dog and there was a dog bowl waiting for her in the room. The location is great ( right by the canal). We didn't have breakfast so can't comment on this.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
MissHelenBradshaw, Operations Manager at 42 The Calls, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

It was lovely to read your comments and that you, your mum and your dog, all enjoyed your stay.

We did have some late summer weather in October, should you ever require a fan then the team will happily supply you with one.

I hope the interview went well and look forward to welcoming you all back in the future.

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I stayed at 42 The Calls previously and recently came back with my husband and upon reading some recent reviews I felt compelled to write a review myself.

First of all, it was yet again another delightful stay, on a Saturday evening, yes there is some outside noise, but you are in the heart of the city centre, not the countryside!

Rooms are presentable and very clean, with complimentary added extras such as fudge, homemade short bread (i love the fact it is made in house by the chef) and turndown with smarties. Yes there is need for a refurb but the rooms are no way as bad as some would make out, a little extreme if you ask me! I have been informed that there is a refurb due to happen and a tester room was completed recently.

We have been advised by the porter on both stays that the water from the tap is safe to use in the kettle (it is tank fed) but there is the complimentary bottled water if you just want a drink of water, of which they will give you more if you ask.

Whenever we see a member staff they are always polite and will engage in a conversation with you, we have been made to feel very special and not just another ‘number’.

Breakfast is a amazing and very good value, cooked to order rather than sat in its own fat all morning under a heater. My husband had the Yorkshire sausage and I opted for the waffles, I did contemplate having the smoked salmon and scrambled egg breakfast muffin but my sweet tooth could not resist the waffles with chocolate sauce.

During our stay the fire alarm did sound, we evacuated and we were informed by a male team member that it was a false alarm and given an apology for the inconvenience. Yes, not nice to be woken in the early hours, however it obviously did sound for whatever reason and the team were quick to investigate and update us, no complaints from us with regards to this.

I think it is easy for someone to have a great stay somewhere and not post a review.

I will certainly be back to my favourite Leeds hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Annie J
Thank you for your 5/5 review.

As a return customer it was great to read that you had enjoyed another wonderful stay on a Saturday evening.

I would like to thank you for your patience and understanding with regards to the fire alarm.

I have shared your comments with the team, who are thrilled and look forward to your return visit.

Maybe on your next stay you can try some more of Nigel's home made treats.

Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2013

A lovely family run boutique hotel. We stayed in a junior suite (101) for 2 nights and had a lovely view of the river.
The bed was huge and SOOOO comfy, complete with duck down duvet and mattress topper, and a box of Smarties each. wardrobes with internal light - a life saver (I hate not seeing what's in the deepest darkest corner!) Complimentary bottles of water.
The bathroom was huge, lovely toiletries with a choice of 2 scents. Bath and seperate shower and bathrobes.
The reception/sitting/dining room was large with little natural light getting in and in my opinion the sofa could have been better chosen.
Room service was quick and tasty, complete with privacy hatch should you need/want it.
Staff were all very pleasant. Breakfast was delicious and very relaxing, at no point did we feel rushed as you do in some places. I've never seen a sausage menu that size before either! Proper coffee and a huge selection of dishes cooked to order.
The one thing that let it down slightly but can't be helped due to location was the parking situation - metered parking outside on the street or a multi-story a short walk away.
I'd thoroughly recommend this place.

Room Tip: Room 101 - suite at the back of the hotel looking onto the river.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
MissHelenBradshaw, Opeartions Manager at 42 The Calls, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
Thank you for posting your review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at 42 The Calls and found the bed, comfy, breakfast, delicious and the team pleasant.

The team and I look forward to welcoming you and any of your friends to the hotel soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013

This was a disaster made worse by the attitude of the hotel.

The room was dirty, tired and a little threadbare. The bathroom was disgusting with excraiment stains on the toilet. At 1.30 am the fire alarm went off and after that we were kept awake all night by night club goers crossing the bridge.

In the morning the manager admitted that seven rooms on the side of the hotel are noisy ALL night. I told him he should not sell them on a Saturday night without warning the guests and his answer was basically hard luck. Disgraceful. He also told me the company was in receivership which explains how dirty the whole hotel is. Even the poor receptionist said she was not going to work Sundays again because she was sick of the complaints about the noise outside.

I can only advise you not to stay on a Saturday night.

There is also no where to park your car safely.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank aifreeman2016
Thank you for brining your views to my attention.

Having spoken with the team members, I believe you were assisted by the Duty Manager, with your queries about your room not long after your arrival and these concerns were rectified.

The fire alarm did sound through the early hours of Sunday morning and I can appreciate that this was not a pleasant experience. Although there was not a fire the alarm did sound for a reason and was taken seriously by the team on duty.

The Receptionist and Duty Manager, with whom you spoke with have mentioned that they explained to you that it is not easy to control external noise and we cannot anticipate the volumes of external noise being located in the city centre.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Stayed here Saturday with my wife and two friends in rooms overlooking the canal. My first frustration before entering was the lack of parking near the hotel. I ended up parking down the street two hundred yards in a very tight space. If I had a nice car, I would not have been happy leaving it here. Anyway, on entering the hotel we were given a warm welcome by the receptionist and shown to our room by a very polite porter who carried my wife's heavy bag. Once inside the room, it was very different, a kind of loft style apartment, based on exposed beams whitewashed walls etc replicating its previous life as a warehouse. First disappointment was being told that the cold water from the tap was not drinkable! Although we were given complimentary bottled water. The water issue meant that the sink had a very dirty yellow circle in it and did not come up to our expectations of cleanliness. The furniture was old and the seat padding of the chairs was worn out and thus became very uncomfortable to sit on. Once again I am amazed that a hotel costing £140 per night does not have a safe! This means you either have to take all your money, cards, phones, etc with you, or risk leaving them in the room. Reluctantly we chose the later. We thought we'd have a drink in the bar before we went out, and to my surprise the hotel eas operating an honesty bar system, despite having reception staff which I thought could have done the job for us. Having poured my wife a vodka and coke I was told by the receptionist to only tip the bottle up once in case too much vodka came out, bizarre! The area for drinks and seating for guests was so small I wouldn't bother to dabble, either man the bar or scrap it. After a good night out we returned to the hotel and headed to bed. We all slept well, and the rooms were very quiet, and with the addition of wooden shutters at the windows, made the room nice and dark. Breakfast at 9.30 was very good, a passionate helpful waiter took us to our table and took an order for tea and coffee etc. We helped ourselves to juices etc and then went on to order 4 full English breakfasts, with a choice of two sausages from a range of 8 different flavours, amazing!! The breakfast was huge and hot and tasty, although I would have liked to have been offered some toast, but overall a very pleasant breakfast. Check out was ok and I paid for my drinks and my late night box of Pringles and left, pleased to see my car still sitting where I put it! In conclusion, this boutique hotel could with some new furnishings and carpets, and a proper bar, could move from very good to EXCELLENT!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review.

Overall I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Although there is not a safe within your room, if you have anything you would like to be placed in the hotel safe this can be done between the hours of 7am and 11pm.

We do operate a self service bar, but any member of the team would be happy to assit in pouring drinks, if they are available.

The hotel is in the process of a refurbishment, I do not have a timescale for this and it will take some time. However, if you could inform me of your room number I will have the area's you mentioned looked in to by our maintenance team.

We look forward to your return visit and please do not hesitate to contact myself or the team with any queries you may have.

Tyne and wear
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

We checked in Saturday afternoon, check in quick and friendly, first impressions of room (217) was very good, closer inspection was the decor and silicon in bathroom need updating, TV was some type of computer system and monitor popped out of wardrobe (it's 2013 everyone has a flat screen tv on wall) there was a honesty bar in the hotel that was used, drinks were priced ok but don't buy bottled water £7 a bottle. Breakfast was v.good and check out was equally fast and hassle free, quilt and pillows were to die for and bed was v.comfy.
The noise from front street was a pain up until about 4am, if you can ask for river facing room. Overall would I stay again. YES

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
MissHelenBradshaw, Operations Manager at 42 The Calls, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Thank you for your review.

I am glad that overall you would return to 42 The Calls.

We are currently in the process of updating the TV's and system as part of our refurbishment scheme, however we do not have a completion date for this, but in the meantime if you ask the reservations team they will be happy to allocate you a room with a larger TV.

I was very shocked that you thought the bottled water in the bar was £7.00 a bottle, I have checked the tariff in the bar and it states the correct price of £2.75 for a small bottle of still or sparkling mineral water or £4.75 for a large bottle so I am unsure where you have seen this price.

Thank you for informing me of your room number as I have asked the maintenance team to look at the silicone in the bathroom area to see if we can re silicone where needed.

Operation Manager
Wimbledon
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Best nights sleep I have in a hotel for a long time. All staff were very polite and the breakfast was yummy
If traveling by train and have luggage better to get a taxi from the station. There is a pub two doors along from the hotel which very nice as well called the Landings

• Stayed October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am glad that you had such a great night’s sleep whilst staying with us and found the team polite.

They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day so it was great to read that you found ours yummy.

The team and I look forward to your future visits.

Kind regard