“Birthday treat”

Ranked #41 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Buxton, United Kingdom
“Birthday treat”
Reviewed 2 November 2013

This was a treat from my daughter for my 60th birthday she had booked the hotel because we were going to see cirque du soleil on arrival they were very friendly we were offered a glass of wine and shown to our room. it was most impressive views of the river Aire. we had complimentary tea and coffee and water the room was spotless. all in all a fantastic hotel in a great location.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
MissHelenBradshaw, Operations Manager at 42 The Calls, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
Thank you for your 5/5 review.

What a lovely treat from your daughter for such a special birthday.

I am glad that you feel we are a fantastic hotel and do hope you had an equally great time at the Cirque de Soleil which was at the new arena.

We would love to see you again.

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed here as we came up from London to see Peter Grimes(wonderful).we stayed here about 4 years ago.Its a little quirky,and in a great city situation.However the hotel really needs a refurb.The outside requires decorating,and our room was in need of a new lick of paint.Carpet was stained.Bathrooms spotless.Breakfast was excellent.This hotel looked a little unloved.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for posting your review.

I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay and found your bathroom to be spotless and breakfast excellent.

There is a refurbishment programme, where some areas have been completed and other areas are ongoing.

I do hope the team and I can welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Stocksbridge, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2013

The last boutique hotel we stayed in being a massive disappointment, I booked The Calls looking to have my faith in individualism restored. A glass of wine on arrival to take up to your room was a lovely touch which set things off on the right foot. If I'm honest, we didn't utilise the room for muc other than sleeping, but the mini packs of smarties when the room had been cleaned gave a little more personality to the turn down, and the room was well appointed and the bed fantastically comfy. Best, for me, was the friendliness of the staff, and the lack of a sales pitch, which had left a bitter taste in my mouth previously. At 42 The Calls, the staff are individuals and allow their guests to make their own choices, though they are knowledgable should you want their assistance. It is quite central, so you will get passers by til quite late at night. Next time I'm in Leeds I know where I'll be staying.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review.

I am pleased that we were able to restore your faith and you had a comfortable stay with us.

The team, especially reception, love to take the time to talk to all the guests and get to know them, but as you say if you want further information on services we offer they are there to supply you with it.

We all look forward to your return visit.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed with my mum whilst visiting Leeds for an interview. Good value for money. Room immaculately clean and very well equipped. Lovely comfy bed and really nice bed linen. Only criticism was that even with our windows open it was boiling hot (a warm October, unusual for Leeds!). The reception staff were really friendly and the wine on arrival was a nice touch ( although could have been a bit colder!). I took my dog and there was a dog bowl waiting for her in the room. The location is great ( right by the canal). We didn't have breakfast so can't comment on this.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

It was lovely to read your comments and that you, your mum and your dog, all enjoyed your stay.

We did have some late summer weather in October, should you ever require a fan then the team will happily supply you with one.

I hope the interview went well and look forward to welcoming you all back in the future.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I stayed at 42 The Calls previously and recently came back with my husband and upon reading some recent reviews I felt compelled to write a review myself.

First of all, it was yet again another delightful stay, on a Saturday evening, yes there is some outside noise, but you are in the heart of the city centre, not the countryside!

Rooms are presentable and very clean, with complimentary added extras such as fudge, homemade short bread (i love the fact it is made in house by the chef) and turndown with smarties. Yes there is need for a refurb but the rooms are no way as bad as some would make out, a little extreme if you ask me! I have been informed that there is a refurb due to happen and a tester room was completed recently.

We have been advised by the porter on both stays that the water from the tap is safe to use in the kettle (it is tank fed) but there is the complimentary bottled water if you just want a drink of water, of which they will give you more if you ask.

Whenever we see a member staff they are always polite and will engage in a conversation with you, we have been made to feel very special and not just another ‘number’.

Breakfast is a amazing and very good value, cooked to order rather than sat in its own fat all morning under a heater. My husband had the Yorkshire sausage and I opted for the waffles, I did contemplate having the smoked salmon and scrambled egg breakfast muffin but my sweet tooth could not resist the waffles with chocolate sauce.

During our stay the fire alarm did sound, we evacuated and we were informed by a male team member that it was a false alarm and given an apology for the inconvenience. Yes, not nice to be woken in the early hours, however it obviously did sound for whatever reason and the team were quick to investigate and update us, no complaints from us with regards to this.

I think it is easy for someone to have a great stay somewhere and not post a review.

I will certainly be back to my favourite Leeds hotel.

1 Thank Annie J
Thank you for your 5/5 review.

As a return customer it was great to read that you had enjoyed another wonderful stay on a Saturday evening.

I would like to thank you for your patience and understanding with regards to the fire alarm.

I have shared your comments with the team, who are thrilled and look forward to your return visit.

Maybe on your next stay you can try some more of Nigel's home made treats.

Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2013

A lovely family run boutique hotel. We stayed in a junior suite (101) for 2 nights and had a lovely view of the river.
The bed was huge and SOOOO comfy, complete with duck down duvet and mattress topper, and a box of Smarties each. wardrobes with internal light - a life saver (I hate not seeing what's in the deepest darkest corner!) Complimentary bottles of water.
The bathroom was huge, lovely toiletries with a choice of 2 scents. Bath and seperate shower and bathrobes.
The reception/sitting/dining room was large with little natural light getting in and in my opinion the sofa could have been better chosen.
Room service was quick and tasty, complete with privacy hatch should you need/want it.
Staff were all very pleasant. Breakfast was delicious and very relaxing, at no point did we feel rushed as you do in some places. I've never seen a sausage menu that size before either! Proper coffee and a huge selection of dishes cooked to order.
The one thing that let it down slightly but can't be helped due to location was the parking situation - metered parking outside on the street or a multi-story a short walk away.
I'd thoroughly recommend this place.

Room Tip: Room 101 - suite at the back of the hotel looking onto the river.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
MissHelenBradshaw, Opeartions Manager at 42 The Calls, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
Thank you for posting your review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at 42 The Calls and found the bed, comfy, breakfast, delicious and the team pleasant.

The team and I look forward to welcoming you and any of your friends to the hotel soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013

This was a disaster made worse by the attitude of the hotel.

The room was dirty, tired and a little threadbare. The bathroom was disgusting with excraiment stains on the toilet. At 1.30 am the fire alarm went off and after that we were kept awake all night by night club goers crossing the bridge.

In the morning the manager admitted that seven rooms on the side of the hotel are noisy ALL night. I told him he should not sell them on a Saturday night without warning the guests and his answer was basically hard luck. Disgraceful. He also told me the company was in receivership which explains how dirty the whole hotel is. Even the poor receptionist said she was not going to work Sundays again because she was sick of the complaints about the noise outside.

I can only advise you not to stay on a Saturday night.

There is also no where to park your car safely.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank aifreeman2016
Thank you for brining your views to my attention.

Having spoken with the team members, I believe you were assisted by the Duty Manager, with your queries about your room not long after your arrival and these concerns were rectified.

The fire alarm did sound through the early hours of Sunday morning and I can appreciate that this was not a pleasant experience. Although there was not a fire the alarm did sound for a reason and was taken seriously by the team on duty.

The Receptionist and Duty Manager, with whom you spoke with have mentioned that they explained to you that it is not easy to control external noise and we cannot anticipate the volumes of external noise being located in the city centre.