“Friendly, helpful, clean hotel.”
Review of 42 The Calls

42 The Calls
Ranked #43 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Our room overlooked the river with really interesting view of the surrounding riverside area. The large bed was extremely comfortable, the room was spacious and clean, the wardrobe had an internal light which switched on when the door was opened.
The presentation of the food in the breakfast room [which overlooked the river] was exceptionally good, with cereal in little brown sacks, a large range of fresh fruit, a large range of preserves available [in normal sized jars, not the tiny ones normally provided], the bread was extremely fresh but what I liked most was the freshly cooked scrambled egg and bacon; there was an interesting choice of sausages available but we didn't get around to trying them.
My wife was in Leeds for business. It was her birthday while we were there and I pre-ordered a large bunch of flowers for her when we arrived; the flowers were absolutely gorgeous. My daughter also made a surprise visit to see her and I had asked for cream tea for her when she arrived. Although not normally offered the staff made a special effort to provide one for her. The cream tea was brilliant; fresh scones with plenty of butter, clotted cream and jam [we couldn't it all!]
The staff were friendly, helpful, cheerful and informative.
For anyone who likes a beer there was a riverside Theakstons pub just to the side of the hotel.
The city centre is very close with a large range of restaurants; the railway station about 10 minutes walk away.

Room Tip: Ask. for a riverside view
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
MissHelenBradshaw, Operations Manager at 42 The Calls, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2013

Thank you for your 5/5 review.

I am glad that the surprise flowers and afternoon tea went well, our chef Nigel will be pleased you enjoyed his homemade scones, which I have to say are my favourite.

I hope your wife thoroughly enjoyed her birthday whilst on business in Leeds and we do hope to see you both again soon.

There are newer reviews for 42 The Calls

Reviewed 9 November 2013

First stayed here about 3 years ago and was really impressed that time. This time... nice glass of complimentary wine offered at check-in and key given to room on second floor, no directions. We wandered around the second floor following the room numbers which ended before we managed to find our room so had to double back and wander some more, bit annoying with luggage in tow.

Found our room which was lovely as we expected, although showing signs of tiredness, carpet looking shabby, one of the chairs had a strange stain on it, but bed was lovely and comfy.

Couldn't quite work out what to wash my hands with after using the loo as there is no soap (or hand cream) available around the sink area, so had to use my frog soap (which was a shame as I like to keep him), also very disappointed to find bog standard 'nescafe' as the coffee sachet in the room - I've never tasted a more disgusting instant coffee and would certainly expect a better quality in a hotel like The Calls.

Morning: newspaper arrived (no longer complimentary which is a bit naughty, if the receptionist had actually said at check-in would you a newspaper in the morning which retails for 60p but we will bill you £1.50 I would have declined the offer!). Also I think the breakfast is grossly overpriced - £15 per person for two poached eggs, toast and a slice of bacon is a tad on the expensive side and soon bumps your bill up. Yes I know there is fruit etc available but after you've noticed one of the other guests sneeze 5-6 times over this 'uncovered' food, it kind of puts you off. Also we noticed the hotel no longer offer the little pots of locally made sauces which was a nice touch on our previous visit.

So all in all a bit disappointing really, what used to set this place apart from the big chains seems to have disappeared, apart from the really comfy bed I'm not sure I'd make a return visit I'm afraid :(

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
MissHelenBradshaw, Operations Manager at 42 The Calls, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2013

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I was most concerned to read your comments, especially as a return customer.

All guests are offered the porter’s assistance and you should have been offered this service with your check in and I am sorry that this was not the case.

Our frog soaps are very popular and custom made for us; these are provided in guest bathrooms to wash your hands with and if you did want to take one with you I am sure this could have been arranged with the housekeeping team.

As well as providing sachets of instant coffee, we do provide filter coffee sachets along with the cafetiere in your room, this is located in the tea/coffee caddy.

The only complimentary newspaper we offer is the Yorkshire Post (Monday - Friday), all other newspapers are chargeable, however if your newspaper ordered was only 60p and you were charged £1.50 there has clearly been an error made as that is a 90p difference. Had you addressed this with the receptionist on departure we could have looked in to this for you.

We do offer smaller and cheaper alternatives for breakfast, such as a hot muffin with various fillings, egg, bacon and sausage etc for £4.95 each and had you made the breakfast team aware you had witness the sneezing over the cold buffet then they would have replaced the items straight away.

I am only sorry that the team or I did not get the chance to personally speak with you during your stay regarding your comments.

Reviewed 7 November 2013

Stayed on business as presenting at a conference in Leeds. I do a lot of business travel and one night stays and I've always said all you need is a good shower and a comfortable bed. You get a very comfortable large bed in a large room with a super raindrop shower. Double aspect room, heavy duty curtains, good television channel, complimentary smarties and fudge and little touches such as frog shaped soap. Trouser press, iron and ironing board, minibar, wifi, everything I could of wanted in the boutique, converted warehouse hotel. A colleague had recommended this hotel as he had stayed several years before and couldn't believe the price offered. Yes, there is no alarm clock, unusual and some of the décor could be freshened up a bit but for price and experience it has to be a 5 blob review. oh, and complimentary glass of wine on arrival. Didn't make breakfast but a colleague said it was varied and good.

Room Tip: I had room 316. It doesn't overlook the river but was a good size and quiet
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

It was lovely to read your comments regarding your recent business stay and glad you had a quiet and comfortable time with us.

Although there is not currently an alarm in the bedroom, you can ask the receptionist to wake you in the morning, with a personal alarm call.

We do hope to see you soon, if not for business then leisure.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

I liked my room here very much. A good size with a big bathroom. The view over the canal was lovely too and the location is great for city centre meetings/ work.

In the room, the amenities are very good. Oddly, for a hotel in this price bracket, there is no clock in the room. And no radio - the radio stations on the TV were not working during my stay, but this is not a show stopper.

The style of the hotel is now "vintage 90s boutique hotel" and I liked it for that. I will be back.

Room Tip: One with a view of the canal.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for posting your review.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and the location was good for your business meetings.

I am sorry there was not a clock in your room, we do have the digital time on the TV boxes and there should be a clock in the bathroom.

We are looking in to the radio issues and hopefully will have this resolved in the near future.

We hope to see you again soon for either business or leisure.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

I like staying here as it is such a change from the big corporate hotels and what they get right here is the slightly quirky design and approach. But some of the little things don't help, twice I have stayed there when there has been some basic maintenance to do in the rooms, the bed head in my last room wasn't complete and I ended up laying on bare wood with very thin pillows. The breakfast is all cooked to order and fabulous.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your review.

I am glad that you do like staying with us for our quirky design and approach; however I was concerned to read your comments regarding basic maintenance.

We do have a maintenance team on site and any issues reported to us by, either team members or guests, are fixed where possible.

The team and I hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a birthday celebration .the welcome from reception staff was excellent with a complimentary glass of wine on arrival.we also received a free room upgrade.the room was clean and unique with parts of the old building incoperated in to the deco.I've never slept with a large wheel in my room before!we loved it.the carpet was a little tired but the bathroom was clean and modern.very well centrally located and liked the fact that the hotel was locked on the night when we returned(at midnight).a push on the doorbell and we were welcomed inside.made us feel very secure.loved the turn down service and smarties on our pillow .breakfast the next morning was lovely and once again the staff where very attentive.a little bit of paint needed here and there,but this can be forgiven due the excellent and personal service we received.

• Stayed: October 2013

Thank you for your review.

We love a celebration at 42 The Calls and we are very pleased that you enjoyed your birthday stay.

The building has some fantastic original features from the days when it was a corn mill and I am glad you were able to appreciate these.

The team and I look forward to giving you a warm welcome again soon.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

On arrival we were met by friendly staff and offered a glass of wine to take up to our room. I thought this was a lovely touch which I had never experienced before. Our room had a lovely window which overlooked the River and the bed was extremely comfy. Complimentary Tea and coffee with home made shortbread added that special touch. The bathroom was very stylish with lovely fluffy robes, slippers and cute little frog soaps. The breakfast was superb, with a great range of locally produced preserves and numerous types of sausage. Nothing was too much trouble and although the staff were attentive they were never intrusive. I would certainly rstay again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your 5/5 review.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and appreciated our little added extras such as the frog soaps and homemade short bread.

The team and I look forward to your next visit.