“Relaxing city break”
Review of 42 The Calls

42 The Calls
Ranked #45 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Great location,short walk from station and handy for shops,restaurants and bars.
The staff were friendly and welcoming,mulled wine a nice touch.
The bedroom was large with a great view over the river.Lighting was a bit dim,one more light would have helped.Comfy bed had a great nights sleep.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
MissHelenBradshaw, Operations Manager at 42 The Calls, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

It was great to read you had a 'relaxing city break' whilst staying at 42 The Calls.

If you ever require further lighting we would be happy to provide this or can look to allocate you a brighter room.

The team are delighted with your comments and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

Nice hotel, lovely touches, lovely view. Wasn't told there was a £50 upfront deposit to pay just I case you use any extra services. Nice staff, lots of noise from room next door though and load constant banging from fan in bathroom. Other than that it was nice

Room Tip: Stayed in room 305 - nice room but fan banged all night with the wind
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
MissHelenBradshaw, Opeartions Manager at 42 The Calls, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Thank you for your review.

I am glad that overall, you enjoyed your stay.

We do advise guests of the £50.00 pre authorisation on the hotel confirmation that is sent once a booking is made and all the third party websites do state this also.

Our maintenance team did look in to the banging noise from the fan so thank you for making me aware of this and your room number.

I do hope we can welcome you to 42 The Calls Hotel again soon.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

We stayed here for one night for a wedding in Leeds. Welcoming touches included friendly and complimentary mulled wine. The room and service was excellent as was the breakfast (can't argue with a choice of 12 different types sausage)! Nice touches in the room included frog soap and shortbread! Highly recommended if looking for somewhere to stay in the area.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am delighted that you had an 'excellent experience' at 42 The Calls and highly recommend us.

The team and I look forward to your next visit to Leeds.

Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

This was our 3rd stay at the hotel. Communal areas had recently been updated and refurbished, looking lovely and smart. Our room 102 was small and looking tired compared to previous rooms we'd stayed in. A new carpet, a major bleaching in the shower and attention given to the old looking leaking showerhead would hugely benefit the room of this self-confessed boutique hotel. Great location. Pricey carparking nearby.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review.

Having stayed with us previously, I was concerned to read your comments regarding your room on this occasion.

We have started our refurbishment programme which I see you noticed and thought was lovely and smart. I do not have a timescale for the refurbishment completion and when the next stage will start, however we do have a maintenance team for any general repairs, so if a guest or the housekeeping team make them aware they will do their upmost to repair any faults.

I do hope we will see you for a fourth visit and many more to come.

Reviewed 18 December 2013

I spent one night here in room 208 and was utterly charmed.

I wasn't too keen on the tiny revolving door but once in I was offered complementary mulled wine and a mince pie on check-in before being directed to my room. The building is a bit of a rabbit warren but some well positioned signs meant there was no problem finding my room. It is on the corner of the building with two windows overlooking the building next door and the street and was a very nice size. The bathroom was huge with bath/shower, huge sink, heated towel rail, nice toiletries and a bathrobe.

In the bedroom there was a large comfy bed, a couple of comfy chairs, a large fitted wardrobe with plenty of space, an iron, nice tea/coffee making facilities including some fudge and Christmas shortbread biscuits and a honesty mini bar.

As I was staying in Leeds for a work night out I didn't actually spend much time in the hotel but was really impressed and would definitely like to come back sometime as I think this could be a really nice hotel for a city break.

Room Tip: 208 overlooks the road but traffic noise wasn't an issue on a December Tuesday, not sure about F...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for your review.

It was lovely to read that you were 'utterly charmed' by your visit to 42 The Calls.

Each of our rooms are different in layout as we are a conversion from a corn mill and there are alternate views. 208 is one of the larger Deluxe Doubles overlooking the front of the hotel and I am glad that you found this room comfy and appreciated the amenities in the room.

I do hope we will welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 18 December 2013

Super little boutique hotel in Leeds, great location for the city. The rooms were very clean and well presented likewise was the bathroom. The breakfast was excellent with a great choice of food including a large range of different style sausages.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for reviewing your stay.

I am delighted that you found us to be in a great location for your business trip to Leeds.

I have passed your comments on to the team and especially the housekeeping and kitchen department.

We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

Stayed in Rm 105 for 3 days in December. Although, as another reviewer says, "it's looking a bit tired now" there's still lots to recommend it: nice quirky decorative touches - there was a fishing rod next to the window in our room overlooking the river (strictly for decorative purposes only!), interesting location, very pleasant staff, good value. We didn't have breakfast in the hotel, but other reviewers obviously liked it.

The downside was poor attention to detail in housekeeping. There was litter in the room from the previous occupant; the tv remote control was missing; the minibar fridge wasn't - everything in it was at room temperature; tea and coffee sachets and biscuits weren't replenished every day; there was a turn-down service on 2 of 3 nights; there were no towels when we came back to our room at 10pm on our last night. Minor niggles perhaps but taken cumulatively they give the impression of a hotel with housekeeping "issues", perhaps staff not give enough time to do the job properly?

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your review.

It was lovely to read that you felt that the team were very pleasant and it was good value for your three night stay.

I was concerned to read your comments regarding the lapse in housekeeping service; I have spoken to the team regarding this and please accept my apologies for this.

I do hope the team and I can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.