“quirky hotel central in Leeds”
Review of 42 The Calls

42 The Calls
Ranked #43 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
hartlepool
“quirky hotel central in Leeds”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Booked a deal on hotels.com on a room only rate
The service from Charlotte and her colleagues was great as upon checking in I realised I'd left my wallet at home! They sorted it though.
A glass of wine on arrival was a nice touch and help with my bags up to my room
The hotel is quirky and unique - a converted warehouse. It is stylish and the room that I stayed in was traditionally decorated.
Room 211 had double aspect views of the water.
I stayed on a Monday and the restaurant was closed but room service was available
Breakfast wasn't included in my rate and is served in a lovely dining room.
Parking is pricey at £18 in an NCP near by
Breakfast is £15 - delicious
WIFI isn't free
The spiders on the windows outside could freak you out!
Though staff were kind I'd probably use a different hotel just to get better value parking and Wifi

Room Tip: Ask for water front views
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Jayne G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Really great private dining facilities here, with the room overlooking the river and the lights of Brewery Wharf (in the evening, obviously!).

Some fantastic set menus for group dining - the Brie starter, chicken with pesto tomato rounded off with the trio of desserts is my recommendation!

Been twice already this year - will see if I can squeeze in a reason for another return visit soon..

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rob W
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We really enjoyed staying here on a stop-over on our way to Northumberland. We received a friendly welcome and were upgraded to the penthouse suite which was spacious and attractive with a great view; our first ever upgrade! We enjoyed the fudge, home made shortbread and free glass of wine which was part of a promotion! The location was great and we made good use of neighbouring restaurants and bars. The honesty bar was attractive although we didn't get round to making use of it. We particularly enjoyed breakfast which was served in a lovely room over-looking the river; there was a good choice of fruit, cereal, bread and pastries not forgetting the famous sausage menu! On a slightly negative note parts of the hotel seemed a little faded as if they had seen better days. However, this added to the charm and did not dim our enjoyment

Room Tip: Riverside views add to the experience!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Elaine H
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night to save a taxi after a work do. Given this is meant to be a 4* boutique hotel that I've considered many times before as a treat for my partner I'm very glad I've never gone ahead with it before and certainly won't in the future. Welcome at reception was luke warm and confusing. I was asked if I wanted to pay for my room upfront but asked to pay on checkout only for him to say he had to take full payment now. He didn't then take an authorisation payment for incidentals but he had done with a friend only an hour earlier. Onto the room that I was shown to by a staff member but not sure this was necessary. The room itself was compact and bijou to say the least. A standard double but bed was very small double and hardly any room to walk round it. Room was booked for 2 people but there was only 1 hand towel and 1 bottle if water. One of the free toffees was already unwrapped and the cleanliness of the room was questionable. The tv had a permanent blue message saying the signal was set wrong but there was no way to change this or get rid of the message. Also if I opened the wardrobe for clothes it closed the door over the end with the telly in! Room ridiculously warm and although a venetian blind at window to prevent neighbouring office peering in this was broken so could only be up or down but not open. Shower was fixed head over the bath but too low for me to fit under and I'm not a giant (5'7"). Overall room was very tired, appreciate oldy worlde is the look here but it's gone beyond that. Reviews about it being noisy with late night revellers passing by are valid but not the fault of the hotel. Too disappointed to go back a second time though.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ClaireA1971
hampshire
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We had a very good stay in Leeds, and this hotel is well placed to get to the town and the main sights, and backs onto the River Aire. The plus side of the hotel is it's location, and the breakfast is good, both hot and cold. However, the standard rooms are small, the double bed being 4' 6''. and it was hard to walk around the bed as space was restricted. Although the bathrooms have had a bit of a make over, this hotel is stuck because of the layout when it was originally converted, and now this just isn't enough space if you are there for longer than a night. Parking, as it is city centre, is pricey. The NCP is almost £15 per day, but there is a way around, by parking outside the hotel, overnight for £2, and then moving into the NCP for the early bird all day for £7. It's worth a thought. But if you come by train, no problem. Not a hotel we would use again, because of the small beds, rooms and the slightly dated and faded feel of the place.

Room Tip: Ones overlooking the river.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank moscovy
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Myself and my work colleague where placed here by the bosses. We arrived around 5pm , the receptionist was friendly and efficient. First impression was the building was old but well looked after with good use of modern furniture. The Lift is a little old and clunky, but got us to the the 3rd floor. We stayed in room 309. Was spacious and clean, the shower head is quite low but powerful .
Came with complimentary toffees(i liked that a lot).
We got in al late and left early but the beds were soft, may be a little too soft for me. But comfy, the room got very warm in the night.

Checked out easily and no massive complaints.

It was ok for a nights sleep, I didn't pay so cant say on value.

It is close to the train station and main shopping precent.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Quins15
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed here on at Saturday night in room 106, The Directors Suite, NoT good. First impressions, reception not very welcoming, on entry to bedroom, carpet torn not what I would expect of this standard of hotel and room dated and worn !Room overlooked canal, big mistake as the noise outside was horrendous and went on all night, with fighting, screaming out side, so got no sleep at allBreakfast very average. I would not stay here again, very overrated !!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple