“A no-sleeping as well as no-smoking room”
Review of 42 The Calls

42 The Calls
Ranked #43 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Northumberland, UK
“A no-sleeping as well as no-smoking room”
Reviewed 23 February 2010

My 2nd stay here. The first one, in a room overlooking the river at the back was fine. This one, in Room 213 overlooking the side of the building including a walkway over the river which links the Saturday night drinking areas, was a nightmare. As soon as we arrived we knew it would be bad so we tried to change rooms for a river-view one but were told every room was full & all had checked in so we were stuck with it. And quite frankly it's a room that should NOT be sold on a Saturday night when the drinking crowds are out & about. Screams, shouts, foul language all night long - even when I'd finally dozed off, they woke me at 5.30am from outside with more of the same. So despite it being a lovely room in itself with a great bed, it was hopeless as a place to sleep. I recommend anyone staying at this hotel should ask to reserve a river-view room, that is if you want any sleep...

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
West Yorks
Reviewed 21 February 2010

We booked a double room and it was small. The bed was very soft. The windows were drafty and it was very noisy as our room was at the front of the hotel you could hear the road noise all night. The honesty bar is a nice touch but i'd rather be served by a person. The intial greeting at reception was nice as were the sweets left in the room. However i was expecting a special boutique experience and the room didnt match my expectations. I have stayed in much nicer hotels for the same price

lincoln
Reviewed 9 February 2010

Stayed at the calls last weekend and was very impressed on checking in, glass of wine and a porter took us to our room. Lovely room with huge bed. We ate next door at brasserie 42 and the food was fantastic.
The reason I wouldnt go back to the calls was the local nightlife and Taxi waiting seemed to be right at the back of the hotel and there was screeching and laughing until about 5am, I took my husband away for a quiet weekend break and we got no sleep at all. So until they get double glazing I would avoid the weekends!

UK
Reviewed 31 January 2010

I would agree with all the previous reviews regarding the quality and service offered by the hotel. Our greeting on arrival was exeptional, the rooms were clean and luxurious, the staff were really helpful and polite and the location was spot on for sightseeing and shopping. The only downfall for us was the noise from the local nightlife. Our room seemed to look out onto the walk home for lots of revellers and the noise was unbelievable. Both Friday and Saturday night we were woken repeatedly between 12 and 3am. Me and my partner are both fairly young and enjoy the buzz of the city but even for us the noise was just too much. This could be solved simply by installing some double glazing but as the rooms are not air conditioned I couldn't imagine trying to sleep if you needed the window open in the summer months. It's a shame because the hotel is so lovely, but it would definately put me off staying here again.

saltburn
Reviewed 25 January 2010

I have just come back from an extremely relaxing and luxurious night away in leeds at 42 the calls!

It was the perfect get away for couples.
We were greeted with a glass of wine, and had our bags carried up to our deluxe double room, and shown around the room, which was beautiful!

Big Double bed with about 6 pillows, gorgeous decor, very french chic!! The bathroom was HUGE and spotless as was the bedroom. The bathroom had a decent sized bath tub with designer products and lovely hot water!!

very very chilled out day/night, could have stayed in the room all day!

Will definately be visiting again! 5****

London
Reviewed 24 January 2010

Very pleased that I booked this hotel in Leeds, with a special offer. While my work colleagues paid the same price to stay in a miserable enormous bland chain, I was in this gorgeous little boutique hotel. Easy walk from the station and to the shopping area. Really ace bathroom with frog soaps and Molton Brown toiletries, while the bedroom was so nice that I texted my husband a picture of it to say I wished he was there! Some lovely touches like a free glass of wine on check-in, smarties with the turn-down service. No complaints about breakfast. Only thing I would say is that the hotel is in an area with plenty of nightlife, so I can imagine that the lovely view over the river and across to the bars might be a bit noisy on a Saturday night in summer if you like monastic silence. Also both of the clocks in my bedroom told the wrong time, which meant I was rather late for work the next day! (though I could also blame the lovely huge bed).

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
leicester
Reviewed 17 January 2010

just came back from 42 the calls hotel in leeds - saturday - 1 night stay - absolutely fantastic!!!! would definately recommend this hotel to anybody looking for a great all round hotel............

* excellent customer service - friendly staff and made to feel very welcome - offered welcome drink - glass of wine on arrival and shown to our rooms with everything explained to us - about the room, hotels facilities and parking

* lovely clean, fresh spacious rooms , big bathroom , great comfortable bed, flat scren tv and basically everything u need down to a complimentary bath robe

* great location - right in the centre

* very personal feel and up market as only about 40 rooms therefore the staff have the time to make u feel valued and as welcome as u could be

Overall a very good quality 4 star hotel allround - clean fresh smelling warm comfortable hotel with everything u need on your doorstep - perfect

definately will stay there again