“Just don't order room service!!”
Review of 42 The Calls

42 The Calls
Ranked #43 of 87 Hotels in Leeds
Yorkshire, England
“Just don't order room service!!”
Reviewed 20 March 2010

We stayed for two nights to celebrate my mid-week birthday.

We both work in Leeds so it was convenient to arrive after a hard day at the office and check in with a complimentary glass of wine.

We booked a "Love at 42" package which included champagne, chocolates (big box of Thorntons), large bottle of lavender bath foam, rose petals on the bed and full breakfast. It is certainly excellent value and we were upgraded to "Director" room.

We settled down with our champage in our lovely bath robes and decided to order a room service meal. Unfortunately, when it arraived, the potato wedges were burnt yet soggy, the fishcakes were dry but chewy and the best thing about it was the crispy lettuce with a delicious dressing! That's the first and last time we'll order room service!! There are plenty restaurants close by but we had wanted to stay in for a romantic and relaxing evening.

We've stayed here a few time before and love the individual rooms, helpful staff, privacy hatches and handy location. There was some noise on both nights from drunken revellers crossing the bridge (as others have mentioned). We had river view rooms but I left the window slightly ajar for ventilation and we were both woken up at 3am.

We will still be back, I'm sure. The positives certainly outweigh any negatives.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
St. John's, Newfoundland
Reviewed 15 March 2010

I chose the hotel based on reviews at TripAdvisor, and took advice from others who suggested asking for a room facing the river. My room was perfect for my needs, quiet for a great night's sleep, had free wifi, and gave me wonderful comfort. I was welcomed with a glass of wine when I arrived (nice touch) and given another glass when I returned back to the hotel my second night (very civilized). The staff were friendly and helpful and the hotel itself was different from ordinary. I had a deluxe room that was more than enough space. The room had teabags and a teapot (free), a free bottle of mineral water, and a small dish of caramel candies (which I didn't need, but did take advantage of). I had initially thought about staying at a hotel closer to the train station (42 the Calls was about a 7 minute walk away), but was glad I chose to stay here -- I saw a part of town that was interesting and that I may not have explored had I stayed elsewhere. Leeds is an easy city to wander around and this hotel is a comfortable distance from everything I needed in the downtown and university areas.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
mansfield UK
Reviewed 15 March 2010

We stayed at 42 The Calls for the third time and it has not lost any of its unusual charm with bedrooms backing onto the river Aire complete with your own fishing rod to try your luck. The hotel breakfast are great but it does not have a dining room for evening meals but you have lots of choice in the area including 44 The Calls next door.
The rooms are very comfortable with huge beds . The only down side is the Hotel no longer offers valet parking but there is a NCP car park about 200m away

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 March 2010

warm welcome - nice hotel - very clean - poor breakfast

Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
Northumberland, UK
Reviewed 23 February 2010

My 2nd stay here. The first one, in a room overlooking the river at the back was fine. This one, in Room 213 overlooking the side of the building including a walkway over the river which links the Saturday night drinking areas, was a nightmare. As soon as we arrived we knew it would be bad so we tried to change rooms for a river-view one but were told every room was full & all had checked in so we were stuck with it. And quite frankly it's a room that should NOT be sold on a Saturday night when the drinking crowds are out & about. Screams, shouts, foul language all night long - even when I'd finally dozed off, they woke me at 5.30am from outside with more of the same. So despite it being a lovely room in itself with a great bed, it was hopeless as a place to sleep. I recommend anyone staying at this hotel should ask to reserve a river-view room, that is if you want any sleep...

West Yorks
Reviewed 21 February 2010

We booked a double room and it was small. The bed was very soft. The windows were drafty and it was very noisy as our room was at the front of the hotel you could hear the road noise all night. The honesty bar is a nice touch but i'd rather be served by a person. The intial greeting at reception was nice as were the sweets left in the room. However i was expecting a special boutique experience and the room didnt match my expectations. I have stayed in much nicer hotels for the same price

lincoln
Reviewed 9 February 2010

Stayed at the calls last weekend and was very impressed on checking in, glass of wine and a porter took us to our room. Lovely room with huge bed. We ate next door at brasserie 42 and the food was fantastic.
The reason I wouldnt go back to the calls was the local nightlife and Taxi waiting seemed to be right at the back of the hotel and there was screeching and laughing until about 5am, I took my husband away for a quiet weekend break and we got no sleep at all. So until they get double glazing I would avoid the weekends!